Surfers ear. Surgery?

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
DaveMac
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Surfers ear. Surgery?

Post by DaveMac » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Thanks both. A purchase will be made....

Southcoaster

Post by Southcoaster » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:04 pm

I use EQ Seals Ear Plugs. Have been using them for years after terrible ear infections in Egypt. I also use them for swimming in the pool, they keep water out are easy to put in, never fall out and don’t muffle sound. They are expensive but for me work brilliantly. They are on Amazon.

Jeff
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 pm

I've been using surfears MK2 for a few years and they have been excellent + they let sound through which might help you hearing better in the water.

My wife has bought the MK3 version and they seem slightly better and the travel case is much easier to use, actually quite important when faffing around. https://surfears.com/product/surfears-3-0/

BillG
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by BillG » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm

I've been windsurfing for 40 years this year and not had a problem yet but since I retired I sail pretty much when ever it's windy so perhaps I should do something about this. The problem is £6 to £60? Which to choose! I fancy the ones with a 'string' although I always think people are listening to music!

I know a young surf instructor who developed surfers ear in 2 seasons but I guess he was standing about in the water all day every day.

Windsurfing in Ireland in 1986 and an old guy came up for a chat, wanted to know what we were doing. Said he'd been a fisherman for 50 years and had been told he had surfers ear - Why wasn't it Fishermans ear!

James.blonde
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by James.blonde » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm

A crash helmet can also help massively. Keeping your bonse warm and protected, ears out of direct breeze . I've warn one for as long as I remember, the only time I do this on a rare hot day when I'm just cruising up and down the coast. Pretty much a necessity where kite are common nowadays

Westy
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Westy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:44 pm

With the mention of use of a helmet for protection I was going to ask about whether neoprene hoods offer sufficient protection. Being deficient in natural scalp insulation I always use a full hood over the winter months and it generally keeps most of the water out and my head and ears warm. Occasionally I am aware of a cold flush around the ears but the water contact time can't be more than moments.

DaveMac

Post by DaveMac » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:51 pm

BillG wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm
I've been windsurfing for 40 years this year and not had a problem yet but since I retired I sail pretty much when ever it's windy so perhaps I should do something about this. The problem is £6 to £60? Which to choose! I fancy the ones with a 'string' although I always think people are listening to music!

I know a young surf instructor who developed surfers ear in 2 seasons but I guess he was standing about in the water all day every day.

Windsurfing in Ireland in 1986 and an old guy came up for a chat, wanted to know what we were doing. Said he'd been a fisherman for 50 years and had been told he had surfers ear - Why wasn't it Fishermans ear!
Two answers Bill. Get a hearing test if you think you might have a teeny bit of age related but I'm only 60 deafness. When they examine your ears ask very specifically about exostoces/ bony growths? how easy is it to see your ear drum. If they say you have no signs of anything then carry on (still taking a chance). Or simply chat to your GP and ask them to look, but you may need to educate them as to what you are asking them to look for. OR buy some cheap ones like I have (trying both Charlie's and Wully's suggestions).

PS Thanks for the other suggestions.

DaveMac

Post by DaveMac » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm

Westy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:44 pm
With the mention of use of a helmet for protection I was going to ask about whether neoprene hoods offer sufficient protection. Being deficient in natural scalp insulation I always use a full hood over the winter months and it generally keeps most of the water out and my head and ears warm. Occasionally I am aware of a cold flush around the ears but the water contact time can't be more than moments.
I doubt there is enough accurate science to distinguish the temperature of the water, how much time in the water at a time, how often you sail and individual susceptibility. But there is enough knowledge to link the bone growths to surfing. I don't sail when the air temp dips below 10 so I'm mainly May to December and do use a neoprene hood when it is cold which I'm sure helps. But I reckon the damage has been done in ordinary comfortable windsurfing temps when I haven't been using a hat (or helmet). I was warned (too gently) about surfers ear maybe five years ago, after 28 years perhaps of regular windsurfing, and plenty of getting rinsed in the first 100 yards off Hove. So get ear plugs if you plan to sail regularly without a hood.
If you are 40 you may think surfers ear doesn't apply to you, but it is an annoying problem if/when it hits. I struggle with TV (miss punchlines), theatre is a pain, need to put hearing aids in during the night if my wife wants a chat, and group conversations/pubs/ restaurants can be really difficult places (and that is with hearing aids in and working). So, it is not such a big deal to look after your ears! This is obviously to anyone and not Westy, preaching is over :D.

wully
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by wully » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Westy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:44 pm
I mostly wear a hood now - helps keep the plugs in and the sun from burning my baldy head...

It sux getting old :lol: