Child's rig

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
ross24
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Child's rig

Post by ross24 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:29 am

Hi All,

I'm looking to get my son a windsurf rig to have a go with next summer.
He'll be 6 next year.

Has anyone got one that they don't want any more?

There's this one on ebay which looks reasonably priced - it doesn't list the weight however.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STX-SUP-Mini ... %7Ciid%3A1

Any advice on this area?

I was also going to take him out on a big board with me first in light winds on a warm sunny day, with another boom mounted to the mast below my boom so he can get a feel for it. I think that is such a good idea, as long as it's done in a safe way (right conditions, life jacket etc).

We've used a tag along 'half bike', mounted to the back of mine for a while, and that really seemed to help with him learning to ride a bike without stabilisers, so I think the concept has merit.

James.blonde
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Child's rig

Post by James.blonde » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi Ross,
A friend of mine has the doutone inflatable irig for his boys, which comes in different sizes He really rates them. Might have difficulty getting a used one though.

ronnie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by ronnie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:37 am

There is a 6 year old using iRigs on this page.

https://www.sailboardsforum.com/viewtop ... irig#p3589

Smidge
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Smidge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:29 am

Try asking on Facebook "Youth Windsurfing Scene" as well as the more general windsurf kit for sale.

Smidge

Post by Smidge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 am

Also, on the getting them to sail together with you, an issue is getting the boom low enough for it to be comfortable for them (not banging into their forehead given they probably cant lean out as much as you would want them to given you are right behind them). I think people sometimes get an extra cut out put in (or just cut a rough hole in a really old sail). A narrow grip kiddy boom helps too.

And (obviously) make sure its really benign conditions so you dont land on them! Somewhere shallow that they can step off into waist deep water really helps build confidence (Poole, Rye lake etc) at first - not some concrete lined reservoir that goes instantly deep and is covered in that slippy slime from hell.

Another technique that works for very first steps can be to get them to kneel (or stand) on the board holding a very low boom (or just the mast) whilst you walk along holding the other side in very low wind conditions. You then gradually reduce the amount you are supporting it

Top tip I received was to make certain the first few sessions are pure fun, even if they appear to learn nothing and you find it frustrating.....

ross24

Post by ross24 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks for the replies, some interesting thoughts and useful suggestions.

Yes I definitely was going to try and make it as fun as possible, and not expect much in the way of progress. As long as he's enjoying it I'll be happy.

Will go to Poole harbour first.

Regarding the rig, I've found two for sale locally, but they are older Bic rigs (1.25m² and 1.75m²). They are fairly cheap with an aluminium mast. Anyone have any experience of those - are they ok?

It looks fairly basic, and will probably be fine for the first 'steps', I wold think.

Cheers

ross24

Post by ross24 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:28 pm

The I rig is a great idea and looks easy to use. I love the inovation.

But it's £339 for a small one (comes in xs, medium and large as well - price goes up as per size).

I suppose the other downside is the handle height is not adjustable, unlike a boom that you can slide up and down the mast.

I'll show that vid of the 6 year old to my son to give him some inspiration. Thanks for the link to those.

ross24

Post by ross24 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:30 pm

Smidge wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 am
Also, on the getting them to sail together with you, an issue is getting the boom low enough for it to be comfortable for them (not banging into their forehead given they probably cant lean out as much as you would want them to given you are right behind them). I think people sometimes get an extra cut out put in (or just cut a rough hole in a really old sail). A narrow grip kiddy boom helps too.
I have read that people have sewn another eyelet on to the trailing edge of the sail, below the clew area - think I will try that using an old sail.

Smidge

Post by Smidge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:37 pm

If its a fairly small footed sail you can probably run a line from the UJ up to the clew on your boom and tie the clew of your kids boom into that at roughly the right point. Wont be putting a ton of force through it anyway.