Tuesday 26th of November

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
ross24
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Tuesday 26th of November

Post by ross24 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 am

Went to Christchurch harbour before work, rather than Avon beach due to the high tide, and the likely probability that I would be sailing alone. Went bigger than I would have on the beach with 104 and 5m, which was about right, as Hengistbury head was shielding some of the wind, although it still was pretty windy in the harbour.

Nice powered most of the time, although it was a bit gusty probably due to the obstacles. Due to the southerly direction, some nice long runs. I saw a couple out at Avon as I was packing up at about 9am, hope they had a good sail - how was it if you went? I bet it was a lot windier on the open sea.

Some large waves crashing onto the car park down at the quay.

Charlie W
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Tuesday 26th of November

Post by Charlie W » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:41 pm

BillyG fully shredding on 4.7 with a single fin demon but was there a WOS around 1pm!?

Jeff
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:05 pm

Headed to Pevensey as the forecast was for more wind and less rain. Plenty of wind yes, but rain was not to be avoided, it may have turned to hail at one point.

Wind against tide produced a few amusing waves and sailed until wind started dropping at 3ish.

DaveMac
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by DaveMac » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:14 pm

Ok, I'll bite.
What's a WOS? :D

Charlie W
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie W » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 am

DaveMac wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:14 pm
Ok, I'll bite.
What's a WOS? :D
Walk Of Shame

BillG
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by BillG » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:35 am

OK, I'll admit it. One walk of shame at the beginning and a drive of shame at the end. :oops:

Arrived just as the wind dropped and everybody was changing to bigger sails so I rigged my usual 4.7 & 66L. Planed off the beach got several jumps on the way out and thought "this is fine". Gybed on to a nice swell, got several turns down wind, came in too far, got becalmed, wiped out by a wave and washed in miles past the cafe. Carried my gear back and hung about for a bit chatting, waiting for the wind to come back. Watched Charlie sailing about for a while, not really planing but giving it a go. Eventually got out my 100L eXite ride which got me planing with my 4.7 although it feels really weird, such a small sail on an unsuitable board. Eventually the wind picked up and I switched back to my 66L for a bit until it died again and I ended back down by the cafe. Called it a day, drove down, got kit, had lunch, went home!

I think thats the worse downwind current I've experienced at Avon and every time you bore away on a wave you ended up miles down wind. Bloody hard work.

Smidge
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Smidge » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:38 am

Miserable session at Avon. Steadily dropping wind (when I arrived the car was shaking significantly on its suspension and people were coming in on 3.7s to change up to 4.5s) meant I could never get ahead of the decline. Combination of my much greater weight and much lower skills than BillG meant I couldnt really do anything other than experience the longest WOS I can ever remember! Good chats in the very sociable car park though.

DaveMac

Post by DaveMac » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:53 am

WOS = Walk of Shame!
Dammit. I've nailed that move and so rusty I forgot the abbreviation.
Unexpectedly I find I might be able to practice it this afternoon. :lol:

Smidge
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Smidge » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:18 pm

Whilst Im a past master at the WOS maneouvre, I can also claim early proficiency at the rarely observed and far more technical DOS, that BillG demonstrated yesterday. Its only possible at a few venues like Avon, and involves coming in so far down wind at the end of a session and in such a state of exhaustion after repeated failed waterstarts in the impact zone, that you sneakily carry your gear along the beach to just before the cafe, then get your vehicle and drive down the car park to de rig and pick it up. You have only truly mastered the Drive of Shame if you can do it with nobody noticing. If anyone asks your just being lazy and driving down to the loos or the shop - so BillG, you need more practice Im afraid.

DaveMac

Post by DaveMac » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Ha!
And then there's the LOS....
The Lift of shame at West Hove
Thanks Hazza and Nick the Farmer for taking pity .....

At Shoreham I have done the DOS many times. Nothing like returning to the car par park empty handed to discretly change before driving a little way east :D