Versatile 'free' ride/style/wave boards what do you ride?

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
JB:)
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Versatile 'free' ride/style/wave boards what do you ride?

Post by JB:) » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:04 pm

I am building myself a 'Free' board at the moment. It's going to be a replacement for an old faithful freestyle board.

I have chosen a more freestyle oriented board as I tend to prefer to sail in flattish coastal conditions where Freewave / 'bump and jump' boards used to reign supreme. But I have always liked a bit of basic sliding - Spocks, grubbies that sort of thing.

But if you were getting a one board does it all for UK south coast conditions what would you pay money for?

Wavey freewaves, freeriding freewaves, Freestyle boards? Or what's cheap?

Just interested to know because I have been playing with the rockers and outlines for a little while, before settling on a very freestyle focused board, with get up and go as its raison d'etre.

JB

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Versatile 'free' ride/style/wave boards what do you ride?

Post by billyboy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:20 pm

I've recently got back into freestyle boards. The newer ones have much bigger range than the ones I used 10 years ago and are much more comfortable in chop. I've used my 100l tabou well powered on a 4.3m in chop/small waves a few times this year and it was soooo much fun. I don't do sliding freestyle, but I love the super maneuverable, slidey feeling, the pop and instant acceleration. I also like to be on a small sail rather than stacked on a bigger one and they are ideal for that.

I'd be very happy on a 100l FS with 4.2-5.5 sails and flat water to small waves. Not sure it could ever be my only board though - its more a way of getting the most out of tame conditions. If I was only allowed one board it would be a 90l wave board with an early planing rocker. I'd be compromising flat days for wave performance on wavey days, but its the wavey days that count!

Post by JB:) » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:35 pm

Thanks BB

I suppose it doesn't have to be the one and only board. It was more along the lines of biggish board for South Coast ‘coastal’ conditions, rather than proper waves.

I have been toying with a Freewave, but the ones I have sailed haven't really done it for me. They were either jumping rocket ships or a bit dull. None were good for popping and sliding on, with the caveat that I am not very good at popping or sliding, so need all the help I can get.

Just interested in what others prioritise.

So the board I have started to shape is broadly a freestyle board - 228/63/11.5 with a fast rocker and mild Reverse V (flat in the tail with V forward of the fin). I think it should be forgiving enough for chop and a little waves.

justwan naride
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by justwan naride » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:28 pm

I'm nowhere near the South Coast, but I'm gonna give it ago anyway. In my opinion, flat rockers are for flatwater. Any kind of coastal sailing would benefit from some amount of rocker. Talking about tail rocker specifically here.

My old faithful 85lt freewave bit the bullet a few months ago, and I replaced it with a same litre onshore oriented waveboard.

The FW had a healthy amount of nose scoop and a long flat all the way to the back. Bottom shape was flat in the nose to an increasing been at the tail. It was a very early planning board that could carry bigger sails than what I would have guessed. Easy to sail generally but a bit hectic in strong conditions. I'm not much of a wavesailor, but I felt this one lacked the ability to turn "naturally". It needed constant pressure on the rail, or it would go flat and straightline mid turn. The term freestyle wave was not really accurate, it was better described as a pure b&j board.

It's successor is a pure riding shape, albeit designed for slow, crappy waves. Depending on board speed it settles on different parts of the rocker, and needs some finesse to release early and keep going when the wind is light. It's bottom is a single to deep double to vee in the tail, with the deep double taking up most of the hull's length. I believe there is zero flat along the rocker, but the curve increases very gradually towards ends. It's wide across the whole length with full rails.

Despite this one needing some extra effort in light conditions, I like it so much it actually rejuvenated my passion for the sport. Dropping in feels the most natural thing and you have to really mess up to lose speed on the face. Tail width really helps there. Very flattering for my poor onshore frontside waveriding technique. It's an excellent jumper too. Blasting back and forth it's kind of cruisy, untill wind speed increases, then it's very rewarding to sail fast off the tail. Due to the width and the fat rails it gets hard to control when overpowered though.

As all of my sailing happens in a coastal environment, the pure waveboard feels like a much better fit. Personally, I won't go back to a fw/b&j board anytime soon.

BTB
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by BTB » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:33 am

JB:) wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:04 pm
I am building myself a 'Free' board at the moment. It's going to be a replacement for an old faithful freestyle board.

I have chosen a more freestyle oriented board as I tend to prefer to sail in flattish coastal conditions where Freewave / 'bump and jump' boards used to reign supreme. But I have always liked a bit of basic sliding - Spocks, grubbies that sort of thing.

But if you were getting a one board does it all for UK south coast conditions what would you pay money for?

Wavey freewaves, freeriding freewaves, Freestyle boards? Or what's cheap?

Just interested to know because I have been playing with the rockers and outlines for a little while, before settling on a very freestyle focused board, with get up and go as its raison d'etre.

JB
Allways a difficult one. Horses for courses and all that. Iddeallt I'd have a big FSW 100-110l ish that could be used for wave sailing with 5m through to costal blasting up to 6.5m. I'm not into freestyle moves but I do like freestyle boards, they always seem to sail very well.

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by billyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:35 pm
I have been toying with a Freewave, but the ones I have sailed haven't really done it for me. They were either jumping rocket ships or a bit dull.
Yes, that is what I have found, although recently some of the multi-fin ones have improved a lot. I enjoyed a 90l '18 JP FSW I sailed on holiday but it (as with almost all of them) is a free-ride/Wave not a freestyle/wave. If I needed something for both B&J and lightwind wavesailing I could see that working. My old chakra has filled that role really well for many years but I prefer an FS for b&J and now I can sail a floatier waveboard in high winds I can get away with just one wave board for all wave conditions...

Another FSW board I know lots of shinglies really like is the Severne Dyno. I've never sailed it though.

Post by JB:) » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:09 pm

Well the board went in for its first vac bag today and is a freestyle rocker rather than anything more wavy. I did however add the high density boxes for thrusters... just in case. We have a lot of current at Yaverland and Bembridge Ledges so I figure I am more likely to need extra fins occasionally.

Its always stressful getting it into the bag, but it is looking good so far!

TOTD
Been liked: 29 times

Post by TOTD » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:04 am

I like the horses for courses line, I recall Bouke saying that phrase, of course I also remember him writing,
Say your drunk even if your not.

I was all into the freestyle shape until you mentioned thruster boxes.
I feel the shape , maybe it would broaden the performance use with a tri fin setup. Can’t hurt I reckon.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Richarli
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Richarli » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Difficult this. I'm never going to be a wave sailor at my age but I want something loose, planes easily and most importantly a board that stays on the water when it gets windy.
I favour a Tri fin for that very reason. It so easy to have a board that's just too fast and nervous when it gets serious.
I guess I'm trying to say that a board that stays on the plane regardless of conditions but doesn't get overpowered is going to monster any water state I'm likely to be out on.

Gorgesailor
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Gorgesailor » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:53 pm

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:09 pm
Well the board went in for its first vac bag today and is a freestyle rocker rather than anything more wavy. I did however add the high density boxes for thrusters... just in case. We have a lot of current at Yaverland and Bembridge Ledges so I figure I am more likely to need extra fins occasionally.

Its always stressful getting it into the bag, but it is looking good so far!
Pics!