Leaving Sails on Beach

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
southsea
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times

Leaving Sails on Beach

Post by southsea » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:50 pm

When the forecast is looking changeable I often set up 2 rigs so you can swap as the conditions change. i always leave the unused rig attached to board as I'm worried about the injury and damage a flying rig could cause........but watching the PWA streaming I notice the pro's leave their rigs lying around in crazy wind strengths. Does anyone leave just a rig on the beach and if so what's the technique for it not blowing away ?

drakey
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Leaving Sails on Beach

Post by drakey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:00 pm

I’ve witnessed a rig left loose on the ground flying through the air, smashing a van window and breaking the passenger’s jaw. Why not secure your rig?

ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by ronnie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:38 pm

An owner of a hire centre in Medano is very insistent that sails never be left unattended. She told me that a woman was killed in El Medano when a windsurf sail took off and the base end hit her in the head.

I was sitting in a car talking to a windsurfer when a windsurfer left a 3.7m sail upwind of us in about 40 knots of wind. It took off seconds later and hit the car.

I've seen sails left in strong wind that didn't take off. In strong wind, it seems to be like Russian Roulette.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:49 pm

A sail without its boom in the correct position on flat ground won’t blow away even in the strongest of winds, at least not in my experience.

In Pozo where the wind is regularly 50+ knots but the beach is just lots of large boulders, everybody would leave sails secured with a small boulder on the foot of them and they were fine overnight. I actually left my 3.0 for two nights in a row on the beach in 50+ knots and they didn’t move, provided I weighed it down with a boulder.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

Westy
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Westy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:33 am

I now always take 2 boards to the beach even when i'm convinced I will only need 1 of them for the forecasted wind just so I have a means of securing a second rig. Too many times i've derigged/rerigged only to find the wind has reverted to its previous strength.

BTB
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by BTB » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:02 am

In a 100% consistant direction then a sail will not budge if angled right. But you never know if a freak gust or direction change will come and catch it. The other issue is some non windsurfer deceiding they should try and move it.

So I tend to never leave it unattached, and when I need to for some reason I take the boom of.

PhilN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by PhilN » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 am

Wasnt there a recent case of a PWA slalom sailor dodging a flying rig and cut his foot on a fin?
I wouldn't leave a rig lying around even if it was secured. I've had dogs run across sails and kids using them as trampolines and that was just when I was getting changed.
Leaving an unsecured sail is risky and a gamble. At KBay in a southerly I've seen gusts of wind pick up a board and sail and dump it 20m away. I have seen people use large corkscrew type tools to drill into the ground/sand if there arent any handy posts/fences.

TwoFish
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by TwoFish » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:30 am

PhilN wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 am
I have seen people use large corkscrew type tools to drill into the ground/sand if there arent any handy posts/fences.
A dog anchor? I keep one in the van for that purpose, though I think I've only ever actually used it once. I first came across them in Texas City where the local sailors used them to anchor moorings for their kit, so they could leave it unattended in the water for short periods rather than carry it up the bank. Presumably the sail gets some more UV protection that way.

ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by ronnie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:51 am

PhilN wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 am
Wasnt there a recent case of a PWA slalom sailor dodging a flying rig and cut his foot on a fin?
I wouldn't leave a rig lying around even if it was secured. I've had dogs run across sails and kids using them as trampolines and that was just when I was getting changed.
Leaving an unsecured sail is risky and a gamble. At KBay in a southerly I've seen gusts of wind pick up a board and sail and dump it 20m away. I have seen people use large corkscrew type tools to drill into the ground/sand if there arent any handy posts/fences.
Sebastian Kordell cut his foot before the contest in Fuerteventura when dodging a sail and needed 8 or 9 stitches - put him out of the contest.

TOTD
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Post by TOTD » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:22 pm

southsea wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:50 pm
When the forecast is looking changeable I often set up 2 rigs so you can swap as the conditions change. i always leave the unused rig attached to board as I'm worried about the injury and damage a flying rig could cause........but watching the PWA streaming I notice the pro's leave their rigs lying around in crazy wind strengths. Does anyone leave just a rig on the beach and if so what's the technique for it not blowing away ?

IMO , your technique is without flaw. Changing sails would be the only bit, and then enlist the aid of another set of hands.

I notice I don’t have much in common with Pros.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey