Fuerte - RYANAIR - kit - trustworthy

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
wave360

Fuerte - RYANAIR - kit - trustworthy

Post by wave360 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:53 am

Hi ...Ive read alot of forum stuff re Ryanair being the worst airline to deal with ... Flying Fuerte ... Thomas cook now out the picture ... Are Ryan Air trustworthy with booking windsurf boards .... Read NOT to go over 20kgs for their big sports bag .... We asked Ryan air max dims ... They are saying 119 x 119 x 81 .... so combined 319 in total ... Does that mean I can take windsurf bag say 240 x 65 x 30 say (340 ish) - presume NOT ? .... it would have to be 235 x 65 x 19cm !!! which doesnt sound enough ... Can book easyjet - but flight times are a nightmare ...

Any input / ideas welcome .... Ive flown all over the world with kit - and canaries many times ....but never risked Ryan Air or the like ...

rod
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Fuerte - RYANAIR - kit - trustworthy

Post by rod » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:39 am

I'm unsure what you mean by trustworthy in this context...
Ryan air say 20kg max for sports equipment AND "For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment."

I'd say that rules out taking windsurf kit.

I haven't flown kit with them since they introduced the 20kg rule (circa 2010), the new max dimensions make it impossible.

My advice would be to not even try unless you have in writing something from them that explicitly allows you to break one of their rules.

Bouke/Witchcraft
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:30 am

I´ve flown loads with them with the 20kg rule. I didn´t know about the dimension restrictions. I just booked 2 or 3 packages if needed, depending on how much kit. It depends on the total cost to see which airline to choose. From people bringing kit to repair from flight damage, in the last 7-10 years or so, we never had one who had flown with Ryanair. I suspect they will have told their baggage handlers to be more carefull.
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.

PK1111
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by PK1111 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:44 am

It’s Ryanair.
Unless you are prepared to travel with walk on luggage and even then accept the risk of disruption and cancellations with limited support or alternatives, I’d avoid like the plague.

EasyJet at least care about their reputation and I’d go with them, despite the flight times.

rod

Post by rod » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Isn't baggage handling done by a baggage handling company at each airport? Rather than by the individual airlines... eg http://www.swissport.com

Richarli
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Richarli » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:52 pm

They're no problem with sails, I've used them quite a bit for that to and from Lanza. I've no recent knowledge of what they're like for boards other than watch loads of surfboards and triathlon bikes go through with no problems.
It's worth trying to talk on Ryanair live chat, they're ok as long as you keep your temper.

Bouke/Witchcraft

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:01 pm

rod wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:46 pm
Isn't baggage handling done by a baggage handling company at each airport? Rather than by the individual airlines... eg http://www.swissport.com
Maybe. They still can get instructions from the airline I suppose. It´s just something we noticed over the years that we´ve never had anyone coming with flight damage who had been flying with Ryanair. Before that, Ryanair were the worst. They usually ask to make a report for the claim at the airline.
In total the amount of flight damages seemed to have gone down but this year they were more again. Occasionally you see some bad damages. Some years ago they caught some baggage handlers at the airport who were surfers and deliberately damaging arriving surfboards. This also happened at Tenerife I heard.

rod

Post by rod » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:23 pm

Bouke/Witchcraft wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:01 pm
Some years ago they caught some baggage handlers at the airport who were surfers and deliberately damaging arriving surfboards. This also happened at Tenerife I heard.
That is localism taken to extremes!!

Bouke/Witchcraft

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 am

rod wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:23 pm
That is localism taken to extremes!!
Yes, even though localism was already pretty bad in surfing on Lanzarote, Tenerife or Gran Canaria, which have a 10 times higher population and less surfing spots as Fuerte. Some guys from Fuerte went to surf on Lanzarote 20 years ago and were told to leave by some locals with baseball bats. But with the risen popularity of surfing, also here on Fuerte you hear there is often aggression on the water at the surfing spots. At my secret spots where I used to be surfing alone or max 3 guys, now there are often +20 and if there are surfschools it can be +50. Madness. Will Ward went to surf Lobos one time last year when it was still dark to avoid crowds and when he got there there was already a boat full of people. Will avoids the drowds now by going foil surfing on out side reefs with a jet ski. At least in windsurfing it is even more relaxed then it used to be. Even the kites are staying away most of the time if there are more than 10 windsurfers out.