Friday 4 October

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
Hazzabee
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 43 times

Friday 4 October

Post by Hazzabee » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:06 pm

Hove 11-12.30 5.2/90L
A gusty W'ly but mostly full power.
Plenty of very hittable boom+ sections aided by the nearly dead sideshore wind. A couple of chunky forwards and sorting out a tacking technique flaw meant overall a productive session.
Solid 4 8-)

DaveMac
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Friday 4 October

Post by DaveMac » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:32 pm

Nice one. I've got a cold...Mojo has taken a hike......PK comes on this forum with his manflu and spreads the bugs........grrrr :D
Hopefully next week should be fun

Charlie W
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Charlie W » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Highcliffe from about 9.30 'till 1. Super solid long period logo high on 5.3/95 just right. X-on, more X would've been nice for better wave shape/angle but can't complain. Mike snapped mast clean in 2 with half metre luff tube rip going arial off the top, just the harness bar hook for me (1st time for everything). 6 of us out.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191004-163108_Video Player.jpg
Last edited by Charlie W on Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:57 pm

Arrived bright and early at Balephuil for a forecast 22mph and logo high waves...

The waves were mast high and the wind was closer to 2mph. Couldn’t get out past the high tide dumping ground on a SUP or my 4.7 + 69l float and ride setup. Sat all day waiting for the conditions to get better but they only got worse - waves dropped off and wind completely died. Still, tomorrow is forecast to be 30mph port tack with big waves at Crossapol. Fingers crossed it works out.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

rod
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by rod » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:50 pm

An early start to greet Lorenzo at Porthcawl. Which sometimes seems like you have stepped back in time to the 1970s...

At any rate it Lorenzo had certainly arrived, with mast high waves randomly closing out across Trecco. Here is Scott on a 4.2 finding one. It was a lot messier than it looks and easy to get taken out a big set breaking wide (as happened to Dan). Excuse the phone camera picture quality.

Combined with the lulls that you couldn't waterstart in I wasn't tempted. At all.

I waited out the tide and made the fatal mistake of sailing at Newton (round the corner) rather than my local reef break (which usually has better wind but also more troubling it usually has much bigger waves). Newton looked do able with very clean waves and cross off wind so I spent an hour on my 5.2 trying to find reasonable sized waves to ride and dodging the monsters that would appear every so often (breaking waaay out on the reef).

It was better than not sailing, but only just.

Later I saw Gergely in traffic on the way home and shouting to each other across motorway lanes (we were stationary in jam) he had made it to the reef break and had a great sail. :cry:

PK1111
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by PK1111 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:10 pm

Weekend trip to Cornwall.
Kissed Mrs Pk and sprogs goodbye early and made it to the Bluff for 10.30 just as tide was hitting sweet spot.
Sunny, warm, wind as forecast 20 to 25 knots westerly so a bit onshore but with a stonking swell giving some superb clean waves.
Headed out on my beloved Mako 84 and Blade 5.0 and was fully powered, flying out through the sets and picking off the odd bigger wave which was surprisingly clean for some great dtl rides. No one else out, like a private playground!

Then came the wave.
The one that burns into your memory and will be with you forever.
The one that will make you smile when days are numbered and memories are all we have left.
Mast high, smooth, peeling, glowing blue in the bright sunshine, roaring in like a scalded cat, but always leaving the line downwind open.
It was like good old Neptune had decided to serve up a slice of perfection with a huge grin and asked if you could live it.
It’s pretty weird being 48 and of limited athletic ability, but that the gear we have is so good that we can not only survive, but thrive in these circumstances. A true joy.

Lasted another couple of hours as my buddy Dan turned up, but the tide kept dropping, the wind got iffy in the impact zone and rideable waves became rare so we moved over to Marazion.

That was looking quite peachy with some nice 3 foot swells rolling in and cross to cross off wind, about 15 to 25 knots.
Had another hour and a half there on Nano and 5.2 which was good fun.

All in all, an epic day.
Only breakage was my Skunkatron 6000, which seems to have short circuited at 11.27 as it tried to register over a 6. I’m rebooting it tonight with a software patch but afraid it might be a hardware or firmware issue which will require a professional repair.

Forecast is a bit mixed for next 2 days, and frankly I feel like I’ve used up all my good karma points, but let’s see what happens!

Hazzabee
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Hazzabee » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:23 pm

PK1111 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:10 pm
Only breakage was my Skunkatron 6000, which seems to have short circuited at 11.27 as it tried to register over a 6. I’m rebooting it tonight with a software patch but afraid it might be a hardware or firmware issue which will require a professional repair.
Worrying news. Can we still sail whilst it is out of action???

PK1111
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by PK1111 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Hazzabee wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:23 pm
PK1111 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:10 pm
Worrying news. Can we still sail whilst it is out of action???
It’s only my personal measure. Yours appears to be unaffected? 🤪

BillG
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by BillG » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:47 am

Pretty good 3 hours at Hayling from 9.30. The wind was cross shore so cross off to the waves, 4.1 & 66L for me. Quite gusty and I could have done with a smaller sail on the waves occasionally, actually a bit less wind would have been better. Some of the waves were over (my) head height and lots of turns available if you got the right one. Called it a day after 3 hours when my arms gave up and then the wind dropped anyway.

The was a nasty accident when a sailor apparently bailed from a loop, the board landed upside down and he landed on the fin between his legs. It sliced through the wetsuit and there was a lot of blood. He was helped ashore and taken off in an ambulance. Lets hope he's OK.

Charlie W
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Charlie W » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Can't see the pics Rod :x