Ford galaxy

All vehicle related talk in here please.
Vancam
Has liked: 1 time

Ford galaxy

Post by Vancam » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 pm

I'm thinking of buying a galaxy to use for windsurfing , does anyone have one and will boards (firemove 110) etc fit inside ok ,would rather not fold the front passenger seat down .other than a galaxy what else ? Wife says I'm not allowed a "builders " van !

Smidge
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Ford galaxy

Post by Smidge » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:52 pm

I would be surprised (and interested...) if you can find a car that doesnt require front seat to be folded down or slid so far forward as to be unusable. With folding the front seat I guess most larger MPVs (but not necessary Galaxy sized monsters ) that have a fold flat front seat and individually folding rear seats will work.

I have a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - with front seat folded forward into table setting and middle and left second row seats folded I can get a couple of boards and a ton of sails etc into it, plus one passenger behind the driver. It even takes a Techno 293 and a big 85cm wide board in this configuration. You can do the same with previous generation Renault Grand Scenic (pre 2016) too - and in the Grand Scenic you could even slide a board on its side with its nose between the front seats, and middle back seat removed and still use the front seat and left and right rear seats (albeit very constrained for sails, booms and masts in that configuration).

One thing to watch out for is the gear stick and handbrake - the centre of the car all the way to under the dashboard is a great place to slide long masts and sails, but that doesnt work well with a normal handbrake and gear stick position. Our Citroen is auto and with automatic handbrake so there is no problem at all with that (generally I hate this trend to have a huge fancy construction between the driver and front passenger to create a cockpit feeling - it really gets in the way)

Vancam

Post by Vancam » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks I'll have a look at the citroens as Well . Also considered Hyundai l800 but they're big .I'll have to have a ratch around the dealers

DaveMac
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by DaveMac » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:30 am

I've got a Ford Galaxy 2006 model and it is excellent. Cavernous with all the seats down. Since I usually go to the beach on my own I do tend to lay the front seat back but that is force of habit from older style boards. I certainly don't need to for my Quatro Supermini and I would think your board would also lie flat. As Smidge says the masts are the issue (2 piece 430) which I tend to shoot down one side (over the passenger seat left shoulder.) I can fit a 297cm board over the top of another board and still have good ish visability. I fit a large sit on kayak inside regularly too. If I was going for a longer trip away with my wife and wanted to take toys that is when I use the roof rack. If I want to collect one of our kids and leave the kit in the car I use the seat behind the driver. Two kids and then I also use the front passenger seat upright and slid well forward. Works for me and a brilliant people carrier that fits into ordinary parking spaces with ease. Boot with all the seats up is obviously not huge. Everything is a compromise but it does everything pretty well. I like driving it.

Vancam

Post by Vancam » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks I'm going to have a look round on Sunday , I wonder if they'll me put my kit in to see if it fits 😆

wully
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by wully » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Change wife for one that doesn’t care what vehicle you drive...

Vancam

Post by Vancam » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:27 am

Now that's a thought 😬

Vancam

Post by Vancam » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Going to look at a Nissan elgrand !!
I Might be having some sort of crisis..