Thinking of getting a new (2nd hand) FSW board around 100 litres - any suggestions?

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
ross24
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Thinking of getting a new (2nd hand) FSW board around 100 litres - any suggestions?

Post by ross24 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi All,

My trusty Mistral Synchro 104l fsw is now 14 years old! (I've had it for about 5 or 6 years I think), and am thinking of getting an upgrade sometime soon.

I like the board but it is quite long at 251cm. Width is 62cm which is good for me. It's nice and floaty underfoot, gybes and tacks fairly easily (not that I get round all of the time).

I've used Fanatic and JP freewaves some years ago (probably around 2013 and 2016), and they were fine, but they didn't really make me want to rush out and buy one - they didn't seem like much of an upgrade to be perfectly honest. But I am (a slightly) a better sailor now, so am wondering if I'd notice more of a difference with modern boards compared to the synchro.

Unfortunately my budget is not going to be huge, probably £350-400.

I'm about 87kgs, so prefer a slightly larger board (around 100 litres), but wouldn't want to go too wide.

Will be sailing mainly at avon beach, and other south coastal spots.

I like the look of the Goya One, but I haven't seen many around second hand.

Any other recommendations welcome

cheers!

Richarli
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Thinking of getting a new (2nd hand) FSW board around 100 litres - any suggestions?

Post by Richarli » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Can recommend the fanatic freewave trifins. Haven't had a go at their stubbies yet but I'm sure they'll be the dogs, (may not be cheap enough yet).
Haven't tried the RRD but a lot of my friends swear by them.
There's a lot of good kit out there. If you can blag a try of the witchcraft you'll be blown away by all accounts.

Asle
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Thinking of getting a new (2nd hand) FSW board around 100 litres - any suggestions?

Post by Asle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 pm

You should get a Chakra, but I am not sure how easy it is to get hold on a used one?

https://witchcraft.nu/boards/chakra/

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:41 am

The new JP fsw’s are good but much more straightline blasting and gybing oriented than small waves + get up and go oriented. The Goya is very wavey apparently and the people who have it that I know like it.

I really liked the Fanatic FSW stubby, I recently tried a 95 in very Avon-esque conditions and it was surprisingly loose on the wave (i could chuck it around a bit on the top turn) while it only generated speed on the bottom turn which was good. It needed to be turned from the tail a lot to get it vertical but the wide tail meant it didn’t stall. On the way out it planed really fast and was quite nice around a gybe. I guess you can sticker a bigger fin in it and it’ll be a good blasting board.

It depends what you’re looking for; if you want something for the more marginal UK days with a bit of get up and go then I guess the Goya and the Fanatic would be more appropriate but if you’re wanting a more bump and jump oriented design that’s great for flatwater as well, the JP is a sick board.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

ross24

Post by ross24 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks for all your replies, useful and interesting.

Looks like the fanatic freewave went to a tri-fin in 2014, as far as I can see...

https://www.fanatic.com/product/archive-2014-freewave/

FREEWAVE TXTR 106 Volume106l Length235 cm Width63.5 cm Weight*6.50 kg Technology TeXtreme ® Innegra Carbon Light Finish. Fittings MFC TF FreeWave 29 cm G10; Power Box / 2 × SlotBox; Sailsize: 4.7 – 7.0 m²

The Chakra v2 looks like an appealing board (was from 2009-2017), I'll have to try one somehow. https://www.windsurf.co.uk/test/witchcr ... st-review/
It looks to be a fair bit wider than my Synchro (62cm). The 95l is 62cm wide, I'm not sure I'd want to go much lower than 100l on volume though as my smaller board is 90l, although it is ~60cm wide I think.

Seems like there is a strong movement towards multi-fins amongst lots of coastal sailors. I've always liked the simplicity of a single fin, but want to try one to see how different they feel. Might have to go down to weymouth some time.

What do people think of the Starboard Kode? I remember hearing that the older ones were very fast.
https://www.windsurf.co.uk/test/starboa ... st-review/

Would you notice the difference in width, going from 62 to 64/65cm? Do they feel quite a lot bigger in chop?

Obviously trying them is the answer but that's not always so straightforward unless you can get down to a test centre somewhere, and presumably those would all be the latest models, which I won't be buying any time soon.

I'll have to see what becomes available locally, I'm not in a rush, so will keep an eye out.

Asle
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Asle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:46 pm

There is one undercomunicated factor about the threefins and the thrusters. If you get a good size of fins you can use the same set in a big windrange and with all you sails for the boards without ever feeling over or underfinned.

Earlier with single fin wave and fsw boards you really needed several fins to broaden the range of the board. On my single fins wave boards earlier I used to have one fin for each sail and often I changed fin instead of sail if the wind changed.

Ofcourse you can play with fins in the threefin and thruster setups, but that is more to change the caracter of how the board sails and not because you need to control the board or get planing.

ross24

Post by ross24 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Asle wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:46 pm
There is one undercomunicated factor about the threefins and the thrusters. If you get a good size of fins you can use the same set in a big windrange and with all you sails for the boards without ever feeling over or underfinned.

Earlier with single fin wave and fsw boards you really needed several fins to broaden the range of the board. On my single fins wave boards earlier I used to have one fin for each sail and often I changed fin instead of sail if the wind changed.

Ofcourse you can play with fins in the threefin and thruster setups, but that is more to change the caracter of how the board sails and not because you need to control the board or get planing.

That's interesting. I had heard Tri fins we're better at dealing with the top of the wind range, than single fins, but still assumed you'd be changing them down, particularly the central fin, as wind speed increased.

ross24

Post by ross24 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Also I guess you are saying if you went with a tri fin you could get away with a slightly bigger (wider) board, hence the trend for boards (freewave/wave) increasing in width in recent years.

Richarli
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Richarli » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:32 pm

ross24 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:17 pm
Also I guess you are saying if you went with a tri fin you could get away with a slightly bigger (wider) board, hence the trend for boards (freewave/wave) increasing in width in recent years.
Certainly the board stays nailed to the water better when it gets lairy. But a decent set up on a tri gets you planing just as early as a single and you don't feel the width.
Wins all around!