Friday 6 Sep

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
rod
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 51 times

Friday 6 Sep

Post by rod » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Felt like Autumn is on the way (or has arrived) today. I went to one of my old haunts, Kimmeridge hoping for some good jumping...

It was windy (5.2) but the waves were pretty tiny and the wind a bit gusty some of the time.

Nevertheless great to see and sail with Jas and just about exceeded my minimum loop quota. So all ok in the end.

Clearly I wasn't alone in thinking it might be good. Both Timo and James Cox sailed too. James was absolutely flying on a new Cube. And Timo's new Nano looked very nice too.

rod
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Friday 6 Sep

Post by rod » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:08 pm

And in other news. Broad Bench is now completely shut to surfers (and we think / assume to windsurfers too).

Apparently 2 surfers surfed it when it was closed and after they had been told not to by the range warden (it's an overshoot area for the nearby military range).

Charlie W
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Charlie W » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Shit. It was closed on Wednesday too with the front car park closed but they were firing (& that's all they told me)...

Cracking afternoon sesh at Milford today. Fairly messy sea state in the wsw x-on but it was surprisingly punchy head high. Bit too OP'd at times for proper control on 5.3.

Reuben saw sense going down to 4.7 thus nicely bashing out the forwards & backies. Solid hits & turns from Phil too, plus someone else flying on some old skool gear.

ross24
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ross24 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:05 am

Christchurch harbour from 2 til 4. Looked a bit too offshore at Avon, although there were two windsurfers out there going well, once they'd made it to the wind line.

104 and 5.4 for some flatwater fun. About 10 others out.

ross24

Post by ross24 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:07 am

Charlie W wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:00 pm
Shit. It was closed on Wednesday too with the front car park closed but they were firing (& that's all they told me)...

Cracking afternoon sesh at Milford today. Fairly messy sea state in the wsw x-on but it was surprisingly punchy head high. Bit too OP'd at times for proper control on 5.3.

Reuben saw sense going down to 4.7 thus nicely bashing out the forwards & backies. Solid hits & turns from Phil too, plus someone else flying on some old skool gear.
Milford sounds good will have to try there some time. Any tips on sailing there?

BillG
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by BillG » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:49 am

Bracklesham again. I've stopped going to Hayling if it's more westerly than SW as it's chop hell! Bracks was actually quite good, cross on with some nice waves forming on banks to the left of the car park. A bit under powered on 4.7 at first then overpowered by the end. Managing to get some nice on-shore frontside turns (after lots of practice in Tiree) without getting backwinded. I called it a day at about 2, everybody else had gone and I was a bit over powered.

Charlie W

Post by Charlie W » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:59 pm

ross24 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:07 am
Milford sounds good will have to try there some time. Any tips on sailing there?
It faces SW'ly so gets the most swell in Christchurch Bay in the prevailing conditions (Avon was dead flat, Highcliffe 2-3ft small). High tide can be a nasty shoredump onto the shingle but then low ~30m flat on the inside to the waves.

If you're caught on the inside when its more onshore & nuking, watch out for strong rips that take you fast down towards the rocks just beyond the bottom of the beach (or Hurst Castle!). NW'ly & SE'ly are ~x-shore, less rip, better shape on the waves & sea state.

The main car park is cheap, with cafe & toilets but you can also park ~30m further up, round the back, free on the side road. Then walk straight across the main road down the steps to the beach. You can also take more gear down & just stick it behind a beach hut.
Attachments
20190906_125540.jpg

ross24

Post by ross24 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:27 am

Thanks very much for the info. I'll have to try there soon

Charlie W