How was your summer 2019 for windsurfing?

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
rod
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 51 times

How was your summer 2019 for windsurfing?

Post by rod » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:42 pm

How was your summer for windsurfing?

June and July were a bit lacklustre for wind but August seems to have been windy much of the month.

For me wind foiling has changed everything, I have had some time to sail this summer and with nothing bigger than a 5.8 I have clocked up 43 sessions since June 1 all in Wales / England.

I also missed many sailable sessions too. My 5.8 (most used for foiling) is looking very tired!

northy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: How was your summer 2019 for windsurfing?

Post by northy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:26 pm

...Wow that's literally every other day? FFS thats mental....i reckon on 1 per week if i can

rod

Post by rod » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:39 pm

How is foiling going?

BTB
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by BTB » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:55 pm

Conditions at Rhossy were great for most of August. A couple of really good fronts brought decent swell and outside of those there was decent wind most weeks. The locals have been raving but unfortunitley I viewed most of it through the face book group.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:21 am

As usual the trick to sailing lots in the summer if you live in the UK is spending as little time on the mainland as possible... headed out to Pozo on the 25th of June and sailed every day except for two rest days near the start and end of the trip respectively, then came home at the end of July, had a day or two to pack/unpack and went to Tiree until the 2nd of September. The summer in tiree wasnt the best wind-wise but what we got was really good. The first 2-3 weeks we barely sailed anything other than flat water light wind practice on the loch but after that a switch seemed to turn on and we had good, cross on to cross off starboard tack conditions at Crossapol every day.

All things considered it was a pretty epic summer :)
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

nimo
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by nimo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:17 am

brilliant early summer for me with wind foiling allowing loads of local sailing.
I broke my foot and injured the LisFranc ligament sailing a "Slapper" ( I love that term for a non foiling board :lol: ) in mid june which led to screws and plates in my foot which has somewhat ruined the rest of the summer...........

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by billyboy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Not great for quantity by high (by my standards) on quality. A couple of classic summer hove sessions and a weekend of surfing in cornwall the highlight. Most significantly, and for the first time ever, my kids are starting to ASK to go to the beach - at the moment its for SUP, but its a start! Hoping to get an indian summer so I have enough time to get them hooked - then I can be at the beach far more often next year...

BillG
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by BillG » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:57 am

Being retired and able to sail whenever it's windy I've had a pretty good summer. Missed a couple of day due to the sudden appearance of wind and Living in London. August in Tiree was great as usual (no point in arriving before me Ru, it's not allowed to tun on until I arrive!) Sailed at most of the beaches but missed a good, big surf day at the Maze as I couldn't face the carry in and out (kicked myself after!). Had 2 fun sails at Braclesham since getting back but I suppose that counts as Autumn.

TwoFish
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by TwoFish » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Well for me, crap. But that's entirely my fault as I've continued to prioritise the greasy shilling over living life. Not in an ingrained way; rather saving for future freedom. I've very much enjoyed the various sailing posts from those above with better organised lives though, which simultaneously remind me what I'm working for and remind me to stop it. Rod - your foiling journey has fascinated me. I'd written it off as a faddy thing, involving potential disembowelling equipment, but you're making me reassess. Hopefully I'll escape the South East and move west-is-best-wards in the not too distant future,

rod

Post by rod » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks Twofish. Sorry to hear you didn't get more time on the water.

Foiling definitely changes things. Even more so if you are restricted when you can sail. Essentially by adding a board and foil you extend sailing to kiting / 9m levels of wind* with only a 5.7/6m.

I personally find wind foiling more exciting than regular sailing with a 5m in bump and jump conditions, and a whole lot more exciting than sailing with a big sail / slalom board.

It also makes conditions that are generally utterly rubbish for windsurfing (inland water, estuaries, gusty wind etc) a lot of fun. These conditions are perfect for wind foiling (I have often been out on Cheddar reservoir foiling alongside beginners trying windsurfing for the first time).

*to be able to foil in this level of wind you do really need a big foil.