Thursday 15 August

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
rod
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 75 times

Thursday 15 August

Post by rod » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Plenty of wind around in the Bristol channel, but opted for a foil session on my local reservoir (a bit inland from Weston Super Mare* so often gets similar wind).

6.5hrs flat out on my 4.5m sail and Naish foil. Absolutely fantastic session, easily my best foil session yet. Can hardly walk now.

The 4.5m was a revelation, I should have used it more often. It was pretty windy (I would have been going intermittently on 5.8 + 100L waveboard) definitely f5 at times, though the 4.5m kept me going when the wind dropped back to f4 in the early evening.

I also managed a ton of fully foiling gybes with no touch down for the first time.***

*Like S Wales Weston Super Mare is a windy place in the summer with locals this week scoring 6 consecutive evening sessions

***For anyone interested I learnt a ton of stuff about foil gybing today.
1. Get high and bear off before getting out of back strap to keep flying.
2. Decrease height as you carve into the gybe.
3. Go wide and keep the board flattish, but keep gentle pressure toward the inside rail with back foot.
4. Be agressive with the rig flip as the sail is small with no pressure at all in it. Flip it more or less dead downwind.
5. Change feet well after rig flip (strap to strap)
6. Come out switch stance on a broad reach. Only head up once you have changed feet.
Last edited by rod on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Thursday 15 August

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Recap which foil was that please Rod?

rod
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 75 times

Re: Thursday 15 August

Post by rod » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 pm

The original Naish Thrust WS, It doesn't have as much low wind lift as the Slingshot 76 (that my foiling buddy Steve has) but is quite good as soon as the wind is 12kts ish.

Yesterday I was keeping pace with the freeride sailors on 6-7m (I was on 4.5m), and obviously able to point much much higher.

For lower wind <10kts I have a Naish XL surf wing. This flies earlier than the slingshot 76 but is quite slow.

The Naish Thrust WS is noticeably tippy (65cm wing span and short fuselage) compared to the Surf XL wing (84cm wing span) and whilst I am now used to the Thrust WS and am having a lot of fun on it ultimately I would like something more like the Slingshot 76 / Moses 79. (Or maybe the new Naish).