SUP Foil surfing

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: SUP Foil surfing

Post by ronnie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:34 am

This Gurval Lego - a guy who loves to design and experiment.

This is him foiling on his own design single wing foil - a monofoil - with his own design inflatable wing.

The advantage of a single wing foil is efficiency - compared to a conventional foil, you have less drag without the extended fuselage and the rear wing pushing downwards.

It is also more manouverable - for many people, too manouverable.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:24 am

Getting back when using a wing?

I was paddle boarding yesterday with a fin in the JP SUP foil board 7' by 28" and the wind picked up to maybe 6 to 8mph?, so I decided to try the 4m Duotone wing (wind was varying between almost sideshore to almost offshore). I paddled back upwind, but by the time I got the wing ready, the wind had dropped to about 3 to 6mph. I sailed downwind on my knees in case there was more wind at the end of the beach, but it was just about 4 to 6mph - never enough for the wing to support its weight. So now I had to get back upwind.
I put my board leash through the wing handle and prone paddled upwind with the wing floating upside down. This worked, but the faster you go, the more resistance there is from the wing. I deflated the wing (I could stand in thigh deep water), rolled it up and wrapped the hand leash round it. Tried paddling using the boom with the wing between my knees but it had little power. The best solution seemed to be to prone paddle back with the deflated wing being towed by my leg leash through the nose handle.
A better option might be to carry a paddle blade that attaches to the Duotone boom, so I have ordered one. The boom is about 28mm dia. and the RUK child's paddle has a 28mm shaft, so I will see if the blade can be carried in a mesh backpack and attached to the Duotone boom to paddle back.
Some wingfoilers attach a SUP paddle to the handles of the wing.

In this video Jeff was towing a paddle behind his paddle board while trying the Duotone wing for the first time. I can't quite figure out how he was trying to sail with the wing - he may not have windsurfed. I kneel upright holding the wing to the side to sail across the wind, and when I stand, I am in surf stance like windsurfing. I need the fin at the back of the 33cm long track for paddle boarding and at the front of the track for using the wing - that may turn out to be a problem when using the paddle blade if the fin or mast is in a forward position.

I still haven't windfoiled the SUP foil board (the 105 was always the better choice so far), but will do so using the Wind fuselage, with the plate mount at the back of the tracks. With an inflatable wing, they usually use a SURF fuselage and mount the mast about 4" further forward.
LfrontSrear65cmWindFusS.jpg
This is with the Wind Fuselage.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Wing foiling while changing boards and changing from a normal foil to just the front wing of the foil (from 4:30 in the video on the inflatable board).
He starts with a kite course racing board of 90L which has had a sail mast track fitted. He says the deck grip will quickly wear through the inflatable wing. I agree - I tried paddling one and it sanded a lot of skin off my knees/shins - took a couple of weeks for the wounds to clear up.

He says he thinks the single wing will be better for wing foiling if you have the skill, because it is more efficient and you can feel the difference with less pull on your arms.