SUP Foil surfing

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: SUP Foil surfing

Post by ronnie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:34 am

This Gurval Lego - a guy who loves to design and experiment.

This is him foiling on his own design single wing foil - a monofoil - with his own design inflatable wing.

The advantage of a single wing foil is efficiency - compared to a conventional foil, you have less drag without the extended fuselage and the rear wing pushing downwards.

It is also more manouverable - for many people, too manouverable.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:24 am

Getting back when using a wing?

I was paddle boarding yesterday with a fin in the JP SUP foil board 7' by 28" and the wind picked up to maybe 6 to 8mph?, so I decided to try the 4m Duotone wing (wind was varying between almost sideshore to almost offshore). I paddled back upwind, but by the time I got the wing ready, the wind had dropped to about 3 to 6mph. I sailed downwind on my knees in case there was more wind at the end of the beach, but it was just about 4 to 6mph - never enough for the wing to support its weight. So now I had to get back upwind.
I put my board leash through the wing handle and prone paddled upwind with the wing floating upside down. This worked, but the faster you go, the more resistance there is from the wing. I deflated the wing (I could stand in thigh deep water), rolled it up and wrapped the hand leash round it. Tried paddling using the boom with the wing between my knees but it had little power. The best solution seemed to be to prone paddle back with the deflated wing being towed by my leg leash through the nose handle.
A better option might be to carry a paddle blade that attaches to the Duotone boom, so I have ordered one. The boom is about 28mm dia. and the RUK child's paddle has a 28mm shaft, so I will see if the blade can be carried in a mesh backpack and attached to the Duotone boom to paddle back.
Some wingfoilers attach a SUP paddle to the handles of the wing.

In this video Jeff was towing a paddle behind his paddle board while trying the Duotone wing for the first time. I can't quite figure out how he was trying to sail with the wing - he may not have windsurfed. I kneel upright holding the wing to the side to sail across the wind, and when I stand, I am in surf stance like windsurfing. I need the fin at the back of the 33cm long track for paddle boarding and at the front of the track for using the wing - that may turn out to be a problem when using the paddle blade if the fin or mast is in a forward position.

This is Jeff's new video from December 2019. I appreciate his videos and he has a blog in Spanish. https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search
It looks like he didn't tow the paddle behind him this time, and it seems like the wind picked up too much to wing-it and he tried to paddle prone back to shore. He decided when he got to a buoy to hold on and wait for someone to bring him ashore.
It does illustrate that the wing does blow around a lot if the wind is strong and gusty, and you need to consider how to get home if the weather changes.
I'm trying to get used to winging on the 115L 7' JP foil board, and its not got a lot of roll stability with a fin because of the underwater shape. As Jeff says in his blog, you are best learning one thing at a time, and I hope to get good at starting to standing and sailing with the wing before I attach the foil. It is a lot easier to progress if you have flat water and 8 to 15mph. Getting onto the board to balancing with the wing on your knees can be difficult (depending on the waves and wind), and standing up is also difficult. Having the foil attached may make those things less difficult.

I still haven't windfoiled the SUP foil board (the 105 was always the better choice so far), but will do so using the Wind fuselage, with the plate mount at the back of the tracks. With an inflatable wing, they usually use a SURF fuselage and mount the mast about 4" further forward.
LfrontSrear65cmWindFusS.jpg
This is with the Wind Fuselage.
Last edited by ronnie on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Wing foiling while changing boards and changing from a normal foil to just the front wing of the foil (from 4:30 in the video on the inflatable board).
He starts with a kite course racing board of 90L which has had a sail mast track fitted. He says the deck grip will quickly wear through the inflatable wing. I agree - I tried paddling one and it sanded a lot of skin off my knees/shins - took a couple of weeks for the wounds to clear up.

He says he thinks the single wing will be better for wing foiling if you have the skill, because it is more efficient and you can feel the difference with less pull on your arms.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:07 am

Kai Lenny using a wing for backside aerials on a wave.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:47 pm

Surfing on a boat wake wave with a Delta monofoil - which is now in production. It shows that monofoiling may have future.

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:11 pm

I have the Naish 4 in 1 Hoover 7.6x30x 120 (i,m about 93/95kg) and the Too small Naish Surf L wing.
Its fine with windsurfing, but for supfoil it serious lacks low end push.
I,m looking at the NP XL but also Slingshot Infinity 84 or maybe 76/99 combo. Has any tried one of these for supfoiling?

I live 15min from the beach in holland. We never have proper ocean swell because there is a everything blocking reef called the UK laying in front of us ;) , but we do have a lot of slower windwaves/ not too fast hip/shouderhigh swell days.

Also saving money for a wingfoil but it will not buy it before spring (just bought 2 months ago a whole new quiver of sails and masts)

AlexF
Been liked: 13 times

Post by AlexF » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:43 am

I, 90 kg, used the Infintiy 84 for one year, mostly windfoiling or e-foiling, but also some attempts on supfoiling.
I can only compare it to the Infinity 76.
The 76 had not the lift i wished for in small, mushy waves, the 84 was noticeably better imo.
Maybe the 99 is even more so.

For wind- and e-foiling the 84 was perfect, nice blend of lift, speed and control.

Sold it because it was so heavy and changed to a Moses Tortuga 873, same design of the wing but 2,6 kg lighter.

Alex

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanx Alex!

rod
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rod » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:05 pm

AlexF wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:43 am
Sold it because it was so heavy and changed to a Moses Tortuga 873, same design of the wing but 2,6 kg lighter.
Alex how does the Tortuga 873 compare to the slingshot (both 76 and 84) for speed and low end?

rod
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rod » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Also have you tried the Moses 790 wing?