SUP Foil surfing

Foiling related talk in here
Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 19 times

SUP Foil surfing

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Am I allowed to start a thread on SUP surf foiling?
Using the Starboard Hypernut 4-1 which is also used for windfoiling so I guess it’s sort of a sailboard :D

ronnie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: SUP Foil surfing

Post by ronnie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:08 am

There is a lot of cross transfer of information and knowledge about foiling from the different disciplines of foiling. Anyone buying a 4in1 windfoil may well be interested in using it for SUP foiling and knowing how it SUPfoils before buying it.

I have a JP 7'2" 103L 4in1 board, but have no interest in paddle SUPfoil - too much work and we don't get suitable waves where I live.

I am interested in SUPfoil with a wing, and have ordered a JP SUP Foil 7' by 28" 115 litre and a 4m Duotone wing. The 115 is not supposed to SUP or windSUP, but I have bought a pair of K4 Fins and will give that a try (I've windSUPed and SUPed the 103 with a 9" fin in the foil track). I'm initially going to use the wing when it is too windy to SUP the 115. It is not good at SUP (and probably windSUP) - so not a 4in1.

UPDATE 14th Aug. The 115 with the fins is less stable than the 103! It rolls easily until a rail buries, then gives a chance to correct things, but you cannot lean on the rail. It may only be really stable with the foil attached. I might prefer to try the wing with the 105 with a fin than the115 SUP with fins. The 115 with the fins, paddles straight with enough effort - a bit like the 103 with the 9" fin in a track.
It does windfoil and I intend to use it with a sail until I get to the right level to start trying the wing with it. It needs a 5mm wedge to set the mast at 90 degrees to the rocker.

Some more windfoiling with the JP SUP 7'. Downwind and upwind 360s by Tyson Poor. Using the Wind fuselage and the Medium wing.

Foiling is many things. Maybe the 4in1 thread would cover all 4 aspects of those boards in 1 thread? Or maybe only when it has a sail attached? This thread could cover the other 2 aspects of 4in1 boards? (or 3 aspects if you include the wing).

Klass Voget using a 5m Duotone wing while waiting for more wind at the PWA Tenerife.
Last edited by ronnie on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Very interested in how you find the wing when you get it?

Surfed Lossiemouth on Saturday with the 'Nut and Slingshot Infinity 84. Well when I say surfed..... Its much harder to paddle into waves with the anchor, sorry foil on the back and I guess the timing is all different to SUP surfing naturally. Only managed to get the foil planing on two occasions and both times failed to keep the front end down so was off even faster than I got up.
I think the right waves are important but that's fair to say of learning all waves disciplines. A good wave day can make anyone feel like a wave god.
TOW, much more TOW is needed to crack this one I think and like learning anything new it is really tiring.
Next time I am going to try and make more use of pumping the foil as well as paddling in to the wave as I think this will help an early take off.
I can windfoil the same combination so think I have a good start for when the foil gets up on the wave. Long term plan is to try and get to the point where I can take it downwind as I think there are good areas around here for that.

Well knackered but jumped on a friends Fanatic Allwave 9' and immediately scored some nice waves, hmmmm.

Smidge
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Smidge » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:52 am

Im interested in this too (also got a 4in1) - although I dont think I will ever actually foil sup it as just wave supping it will be a new experience for me (and was main reason i got it)

ronnie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by ronnie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Farnorthsurfer wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:50 pm
Very interested in how you find the wing when you get it?
From what I have seen so far, it doesn't behave well when on the leash. I'll try to find a leash system that gets it to fly in a stable way. I've switched the order to someone expecting stock in a few days.
The Duotone 2020 wing is due out in September. New colours seem to be one of the changes. Hopefully the 2019 design is the same as 2020.
The JP 7' foilSUP has arrived.

This might be a 4in1?