Rigging old Tushingham Rock

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
JimMillen
Has liked: 9 times

Rigging old Tushingham Rock

Post by JimMillen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:36 am

I used my elderly Rock 5.2 for the first time in a while yesterday, set on a 400 RDM “One” brand mast. As you can probably tell, I tend to pick up gear second hand... ;)

The recommended luff is 430 so set the extension appropriately. However it seems to rig with the leech extremely floppy and felt a bit twitchy & underpowered on the water.

I’ll post some pics below - as I know many of you are very familiar with Rocks, is this how it should look?! Curious what you think.

Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Rigging old Tushingham Rock

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Never used a Rock but have used loads of Tushingham sails before and they all set with lots of floppy leech and little outhaul.
Found them to be very light in the hands on the plane and with good wind range but I always went big, maybe compensating for the bottom end. Still using a Heckler and it will probably remain a go to sail until it falls to bits and Sailrepair tells me it can’t be mended while I burst into tears :lol:

Pad IoW
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Pad IoW » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:11 pm

I have a 4.0m of the same ilk. I would say a bit less down haul, & 2 cm less out haul, maybe more for a 5.2? It should feel a bit more powerful but a heap more stable.

JimMillen
Has liked: 9 times

Post by JimMillen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:05 am

Thanks both, appreciate the replies :D I'll try tweaking a bit next time I use it.

Asle
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Asle » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:35 am

Hom much have you pulled the outhaul in those photos?

I do not know that sail, but of you have not pulled anything on the outhaul it looks like to much downhaul.

If you have put on outhaul you should probably have even less downhaul. It would be intersting to see how the batten abow the boom sets around the mast without any outhaul.

A sail feeling twitchy and underpowered when there should be enough wind usually happens because of to much downhaul (and outhaul). You should probably try 1-2cm less downhaul and then play with the outhaul according to windstrenght (0-4cm?).

Farnorthsurfer

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 pm

It may also be that the sail was originally designed around an SDM and you say you are using an RDM. Not sure what year that is. This will almost certainly mean that the recommended luff length will be out by a few CM. So I would go with the other comments. A little less downhaul and maybe almost no outhaul at all.
But it might never want to work properly with an RDM in the luff as it wants more volume in there to work as designed.
Still looks good after all these years, just like us then!

BTB
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by BTB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm

Looks like it is over downhauled when looking at the luff above the boom but then lower down it looks fine. It might be that the mast fit is not great! I’d try and rig it with less tension but make sure it flips fine. When a mast / sail don’t match you find that something won’t be perfect and you may have to balance poor rotation low down with it being overly loose up top.

deckchair
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by deckchair » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:58 pm

hi don't know about the rock but i have had several tushingham storms and they set with massive down haul other wise they were very front handed.

Farnorthsurfer

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:34 pm

:lol: Telling other people how to rig their sails is one of the great pleasures of a windsurfers life right? :lol:

Seriously though, yes, as above, also my experience, loads of downhaul on Tushingham kit, makes it handle great.
Good to see older but sound kit in good use, and its what I can afford 8-)

Westy
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Westy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:10 am

Sailed Rocks for many years until very recently. That almost looks like a max setting to me for when you don't have time or can't be arsed to change down. I would follow what others have suggested and let off a bit of downhaul. You want some loose leach but probably not that much. And ease off the outhaul a touch too. I agree that I think this iteration of the Rock was designed around SDM masts but you should be able to tune around that. I always found these sails very forgiving and quite powerful too.

BTW the adjustable head always throws out the downhaul measurement anyway.

Oh, and the top and bottom battens need a bit more tension too ;)