Smallest board size help

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
jamz
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Smallest board size help

Post by jamz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Looking to get a new high wind board and unsure what size to go for. My smallest sail currently is a 4.2 and weigh 84kg. Will use the board mostly at Hayling Island but also West Wittering, Calshot and Avon. I’m not a wave sailor but want to progress in this area. If you factor in wetsuit, harness, rig and average skill level should I get something in litres equal to my weight or a board around +10 litres equal to my weight?

Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Smallest board size help

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Not an expert in waves either, how often do you get out with the 4.2m?
If it’s only going to be used in very high winds control is more use than float and early planing is less of a problem than stopping.
:)

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Arf » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:53 pm

I’d go a bit above body weight in litreage, but try find a board with a small profile. You want the small profile to deal with chop and bumpy sea state in more mental conditions, but even when mega windy you don’t want to be struggling to get going in lulls especially if the waves are big. It is a fine balance. I’m not very well equipped to answer this though as I weigh 64. For reference, 72 litres does me for all conditions, but I know heavier friends can usually sail a board much closer to body weight in volume than I can - thinks it’s because the rig/harness/dead weight for me is a much higher % of total weight. I have a 65L but it is sheer hell to sail when it drops from 40 knots to 30 knots, for example.. I just sink.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:35 pm

jamz wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 pm
Looking to get a new high wind board and unsure what size to go for. My smallest sail currently is a 4.2 and weigh 84kg. Will use the board mostly at Hayling Island but also West Wittering, Calshot and Avon. I’m not a wave sailor but want to progress in this area. If you factor in wetsuit, harness, rig and average skill level should I get something in litres equal to my weight or a board around +10 litres equal to my weight?
88 or 95 JP Ultimate Wave. I’m slightly biased because they do sponsor me but to be honest those boards are superb. They’ve got a good wind range and will keep you going in the lulls but are super controlled as quads; they stay planted and secure in the water but go extremely fast. When I used my 83 for the first time I was shocked at how fast they went while still giving me a smooth ride; most boards I’ve used were fast but bumpy or slow but comfortable. The ultimate wave is comfortable and fast. The narrow tail and sharp rails in the tail help make it easy to control and even easier to turn, whether you’re gybing or waveriding. I only weigh 60kg so the 83 is a big board for me but I’ve used it with a 3.3 in 50 knots and it barely feels too big. I’ve got the new 2020 version (same shape, just new colours) in 69l as well and it’s now my solid favourite; it’s just got that slight edge in turning capability and is a bit more controlled in high winds. I can comfortably sail it in anything though, so my 83 is now only getting used in extremely marginal conditions when I need as much volume as possible to get planing.

60kg me on 69l is pretty similar to 84kg you on 95l. The 69 is big enough to have enough float and carries speed well enough to get me through most lulls. I think you’ll be perfect on the 95 but best to try it first.

If you can speak to Andy Chambers as he sails Avon and other south coast spots and should have a 95 for you to demo. He’s super helpful and knows his stuff especially with what fins to use to get the most out of the board so definitely speak to him if possible.

I know this sounds like sponsored sailor bullshit but it’s not. Demo one of these boards in the conditions you want it for and you will not be disappointed! They’re so fun. Plus five fin boxes means you can stick a bigger thruster fin in which sacrifices a bit of the planted feel in stronger winds but makes it plane like a bat out of hell! 😂

Just make sure you go a little bigger volume wise than you think (ie get the 95), as they do feel small on the tack even though they’re fast as hell going out.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

nimo
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nimo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:06 am

I sail in the same places as you. The problem with going too small is that the board will sink quickly when underpowered, The sail will load up with the next gust and the pull on the sailor will be huge for a short while until you are again planning. this results in a very tiring , unenjoyable experience.
I have found that a board a bit over your bodyweight ( 10 kgs or so ) will work for all conditions. I am 80 kgs and sail an RRD wave cult 92 for all conditions. easily uphaulable and great in all conditions we get on the south coast. It can become a bit of a handful in 4.0 fully powered conditions but I lower the boom and put quad fins in and it is sorted. Fins are a great way to extend the range of your board!
The RRD has a relatively narrow tail for its size and a lot of bottom shape which is great for choppy conditions.

jamz
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by jamz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks all of you for some sound advice! Seems consensus is to go slightly above body weight. Will give an update on this thread once I've chosen new board and tried it out.

Smidge
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Smidge » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Im 89kgs and have a fanatic triwave 89 as my smallest board. Im not any expert at all! I sail Hayling and Avon mainly. I find the 89 remarkably easy to sail. I also have a 103 but prefer to be on the 89 as soon as its 5.0 weather - its easier to sail in all respects as soon as wind is up. Maybe 95 would be perfect for me but i do want to keep a 103/105 as i really enjoy sailing what is still a proper short board with a 5.7 (sometimes a 6.5) in fairly moderate winds and the chance of a desperate up haul if i ever need it - thats probably 50% of my sailing. A 95l seemed too close to that 103/105 category.

I have tried sailing my 103 with 4.2 in hectic conditions- never again - couldnt keep it in the water, came straight in and bought the 89 shortly after.

crossy5575
Been liked: 1 time

Post by crossy5575 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 am

I am 86kgs at the moment - I used to have stubby boards - sized77,88,103 - i recently sold the 77 as it was a bit too short for me - and when i sailed it with 4.2 3.7 it was too twitchy.
I had been looking for an 81-2l board to replace it.... until yesterday! - I had an old 2010 Starboard Quad - which i had given to a mate - mainly as i didnt ever see when i would ride it again... however yesterday came calling and thought with nothing else to sail whats the worst that could happen

the 77l i had was about 212 long - the 71 is 233 - longer than the88 and 103 - also has big front fins and small back ones. - anyway yes yesterday was manic - however the 71 was almost the perfect board for the situation - because at 3.7 level the wind is so strong - volume doesnt matter too much. I think i could probably sail the 71 with the 4.2 well powered as well - thus think my step from 88 - which i can use with a 4.2 without too much trouble to the 71 can be ok.

I think this is because the 71 is longer and spreads the volume over a bigger surface area - the newer boards, like my 77 stubby were so concentrated over a small surface area it becomes far more bouncy at the top end of their capability.
My mate was on an 81l Quad from about 2014 and was also ok, although being lighter than me, and a better sailor! But think that when the wind gets top end - the volume has less influence than the shape?

TOTD
Been liked: 23 times

Post by TOTD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Farnorthsurfer wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:41 pm
Not an expert in waves either, how often do you get out with the 4.2m?
If it’s only going to be used in very high winds control is more use than float and early planing is less of a problem than stopping.
:)

What he said makes great sense. You will need to determine your frequent used sail size, board should fit around that.
Without any more details , my Avon is North Carolina, 90 liters would be my suggestion.

You need enough float to get out and lulls, yet not so big. Your level plays into this greatly.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

PK1111
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by PK1111 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:31 am

I say don’t get too hung up on volume, and focus as much on design.
Aim for something about your weight, but then decide what type of board you want.
Lots of sailors prefer tri fins as a sole wave board, for a bit more early planing and drive upwind, but you need a lot less of those when it’s windy, so I prefer a quad.
Of course there are plenty of designs now with 5 fin boxes so you can choose.
I would be careful of some older designs if buying second hand as they often had a lot of rocker and were hard to sail.