Monday 5th August

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
DaveMac
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 28 times

Monday 5th August

Post by DaveMac » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Lovely evening sunshine and a solid wind for a good Marroccos 6m session .6.15 pm launch according to my parking ticket.6 weeks since my last sail made it even better. Pretty lumpy to start with but some decent swell. By 7.15 it was flattening off. Domestic duties called, forecast was for the wind to drop down but no evidence of that. .A golden hour .....

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Monday 5th August

Post by Arf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Where is Marroccos, Dave?
I’ve stopped to have a look around Hove, but not on a windy day, so not sure where the differently named sailing areas are.

rod
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by rod » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Llandegfedd Reservoir for me for a foil session with 5.8. Others out on 8m.
Wind a bit up and down but strong in the gusts, just love cranking upwind on the foil as the gust hits and gliding through all the lulls. Totally addictive and at least as exciting as banging out forward loops.

Back to the sea and some waves tomorrow.

DaveMac
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by DaveMac » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am

Hi Arf
Marroccos is a cafe on Kings Esplanade , Hove BN3 2WA. It is a small seafront road just East of King Alfred swimming pool
It is where everyone used to sail back in the day (of free parking) unless you went to Shoreham or Worthing.
Then Hove Lagoon opened and half the locals shifted up there as they could keep their kit there.
Serious wave hunters then went off to Hot Pipes = Southwick beach = Carats (cafe)= West Hove = Ho' okipa . Car park can be full of surf vans and is sociable on a good windsurfing day. Free car parking where kiters launch is East of Hot Pipes (Hazza's spot)!
Downside of Marroccos is the rip can be worse here than anywhere and there can be a wind shadow for the first 100 yards where the best waves are because of the building behind. Rewards for me are it is 15 minutes from sailing to being at home, and extra 25 minutes sailing instead of going to industrial West Hove and speed humps. But the waves are definitely better there and the wind a fraction stronger. Plenty of non-windsurfing spectators at Marroccos (to delude oneself you are a surf hero not a middle aged grump :D ) .... and swimmers to dodge when the weather is right.

FKPhil
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by FKPhil » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:05 pm

Great after work session at my local beach.

5.7m 101 l

Started off really good. Blasting around making all my gybes... then the boom came undone.
I’d just replace the line and it had slipped through the grip cleat and completely unthreaded itself! The new rope did feel a bit smooth but it’s formuline same as the old.
Anyway I was on the outside in rough water and the simple task of re-threading it proved impossible so I just had to loosely tie it back on and limp back in to re-do it properly in knee deep water.

Didn’t quite get my mojo back after that but still a great fully powered sail in sunshine and warm water.

I guess not too much longer before insufficient daylight for after-work sessions.
20190805_194006a.jpg
20190805_194006a.jpg (309.76 KiB) Viewed 50 times