How and why do the MB boards carve?

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
Bouke/Witchcraft
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: How and why do the MB boards carve?

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:56 am

Mitch K wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:50 am
Thanks Bouke & K257

@Bouke - care to offer your opinion on the tail kick feature?
:) Yeah, a tail kick makes a board turn better and planes like you´ve got the hand brake on. It will take quite a bit of power to unstick. Which is why I prefer a much more flowing parabolic curve as you will not just have the last 20cm in the water when you turn.

Same for the flat entry, it helps getting planing for the initial first meters when this is in the water, but turns less good as on the rail your water entry moves forward a lot and more curve here helps turning. As always, pretty much anything will have a positive and negative effect. But they simply don´t mention the negative side in the blurb.
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.

Ola H.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Ola H. » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:13 am

Mitch K wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:50 am
Thanks Bouke & K257

@Bouke - care to offer your opinion on the tail kick feature?
I never made boards with channels, though I have been tempted at times. But I don't really think the marketing blurp is correct here. Adding rocker just in the center of the tail (rather than at the rails) will not make the board a whole lot easier to turn. The channels will rather create traction in a short turn, ie grip.

Bouke/Witchcraft

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:03 pm

Ola H. wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:13 am
I never made boards with channels, though I have been tempted at times. But I don't really think the marketing blurp is correct here. Adding rocker just in the center of the tail (rather than at the rails) will not make the board a whole lot easier to turn. The channels will rather create traction in a short turn, ie grip.
In the 90´s I made a board with channels on a twinser to improve the grip. I could not really tell the difference. As a twinser it was skipping out in the bottom turn at times, even in some glassy conditions and it kept on doing that. Adding a smaller centre fin again was much better. So since then I am using trifins.

As the whole tail will pretty much always in the water, it does not really matter if the tailkick is in the middle or on the rails. You get some shapers saying it has rocker in the rails to turn on and a flatter centre to plane on but it´s the same as before, as the whole tail is in the water, the negative effects remain.

With my Wave shapes (V3, V4 and V5) I give extra rocker to the front rails, in the shoulder and leave the centre area rocker flat. The whole area is in the water when getting planing but the centre lifts out of the water when you put the board on the rail. The difference in rocker is some 16mm, which is a lot.

Mitch K
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Mitch K » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:30 pm

Thanks Bouke and Ola for sharing your wisdom. Always interesting to read.

I'm also curious about the concrete mold process Bouke mentioned and poster socialsailor asked about as quoted below
I thought molded boards went away with polyethylene but it would help explain how to build all those compound angles and channels in the tail. Seems that would be really difficult to glass up on a production basis.
socialsailor wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:37 am
What does the construction process look like using a mold? Does Cobra use molds?
Cheers!

Bouke/Witchcraft

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Mitch K wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:30 pm
Thanks Bouke and Ola for sharing your wisdom. Always interesting to read.

I'm also curious about the concrete mold process Bouke mentioned and poster socialsailor asked about as quoted below
I thought molded boards went away with polyethylene but it would help explain how to build all those compound angles and channels in the tail. Seems that would be really difficult to glass up on a production basis.
socialsailor wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:37 am
What does the construction process look like using a mold? Does Cobra use molds?
Cheers!
I am not completely sure but I think that nowadays the molds are only used to apply the PVC in one go. I would think that there is no difference in quality between composite or concrete molds, just the concrete mold would be cheaper and can close simply by weight and does not need vacuum. I am quite sure that since some time all (or at least most) Cobra boards are hand laminated and finished. Including any channels but they may also be built up with bodyfiller.