Lock boxes for car keys

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
BillG
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Lock boxes for car keys

Post by BillG » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:14 pm

I've just got a new windsurfing shed on wheels (Citroen dispatch) and I don't want to take the keys in the sea (I got stuck at the beach a couple of years ago when the key wouldn't work the immobiliser due to condensation and had to be towed back to London). I've been locking my keys in my Quiverack but I won't be using that anymore so need to sort out something else.

Are any of those combination lock boxes any good?

Sailrepair
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Lock boxes for car keys

Post by Sailrepair » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm

A lot of people around here use "key safe" type things. Some are bigger than others so make sure you get one big enough. I lock mine to my towbar. Give them a squirt of wd40 once in a while and they last a few years.

Hazzabee
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Hazzabee » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Not sure I'd want to keep my keys in a box visible to all and essentially marked "smash this open and help yourself" :?

PK1111
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PK1111 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Does it come with a separate physical key?
If so, then easier to take that on the water with you.

If not, I just put mine in a Northcore waterproof bag and it works fine just stuffed down the front of the wetsuit.
It’s a bit like male dancers and socks...🤪

BillG
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by BillG » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 pm

Hazzabee wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 pm
Not sure I'd want to keep my keys in a box visible to all and essentially marked "smash this open and help yourself" :?
That's the problem! I'd rather buy a 'non electronic key that just locks & unlocks the door that I can take in the sea but even one of those would cost me a fortune.

PhilN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by PhilN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:55 pm

When I bought my van with electronic zapper I got a spare key cut for about £65. Its got a transponder with the immobiliser code programmed in. I cant unlock the remote locking, so have to open the drivers door, ignition on then unlock the other locks with the internal lock button. Seems waterproof enough but I keep it in an aquapac just to be sure.
Seems a lot safer than those external key safes.
IMG_6429.JPG
IMG_6429.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 84 times

DaveMac
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by DaveMac » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Since my car has a towbar and a suitable ring I use the combination lock box. I don't think anyone is too desperate to break in but I might be more concerned in isolated locations. But then theives might as well smash the window. The cost of a replacement electric key is seriously expensive and I'm very happy with my choice. Famous last words but it seems pretty sturdy. Did prefer my non-electric key with my old car.

DavidA
Been liked: 11 times

Post by DavidA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Two methods we use 1 is a key safe attached to the spare wheel carrier which frankly is so low to the ground it would be difficult for a thief to get a hammer/crowbar to. The other is we have had a surf key cut about a tenner which opens the door but doesn't eliminate the alarm or allow you to start the engine. The problem with that is you have to keep the actual key in the van somewhere and quickly get to it when you open the door or the alarm goes off. It has been pointed out to us that insurance companies don't like these because a key has been left in the van. Really depends on where you are going, local beach don't really need to worry further afield it gets worse and get to Ireland you can just leave the whole thing open!

Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Both the Ford and VW I have had came with a ‘surf key’ which as in the previous post doesn’t have the transponder so can’t start the car, just open the doors. Maybe just get a cheap door key cut also gets my vote.
If the key is in the car or in a lock box it won’t stop anyone stealing the car but would keep casual light fingered opportunistic types from lifting your stuff.

drakey
Been liked: 3 times

Post by drakey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:53 pm

I’ve got keyless entry which is a pita. If you leave your fob with the car you just have to pull the door handle and you’re in. I have now got one of those faraday pouch jobbies that I can isolate the fob. I take the blade key out of the fob and hang it round my neck. Use it to open car doors physically.