New Starboard Freestyle but also cross over

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
Asle
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 15 times

New Starboard Freestyle but also cross over

Post by Asle » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:00 pm

If you check up the starboard fb site you will find a video with a presentation of the 2020 starboard freestyle.
They have made it 210 cm long, but more interesting they supply it with two fins, one dedicated freestyle fin and one longer fin for carving, jumping and speed. It also has pluggs for putting dobble straps in the back and more outboard straps in the front.

Starboard says the board is as dedicated for freestyle as ever but that they realized these boards with a bigger fin is good for most sailors.

So, what do you recond? Is this true or is it a compromice made to sell enough freestyle boards? Will a dedicated freestyle sailor buy this board? Will other sailors want such a board? Do you want such a board?

They also just did a super x at Fuerteventura. Is this the way to go having to use the same board for both super x and freestyle and do super x during freestyle competitions?

PhilN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Re: New Starboard Freestyle but also cross over

Post by PhilN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:14 pm

I think its a bit of an odd one. I can see why they have got a 28cm powerbox fin in the video for freeriding, its more suitable than the shorter/wider freestyle fin. Will anyone change footstrap positions on a regular basis? I know I wouldnt, I dont change the straps on my 'crossover' board when I switch from harbour sailing to the sea even when there are small waves. 210cm might be great for freestyle, no idea. But 210cm seems a bit short for blasting around on.
A couple of years ago Starboard's own designer stated that he wanted to make their FSW FreeKode shorter but said mag testers preferred a longer board for ease of use. That was at 230cm. When Tabou introduced their shorter 225cm 3S FSW (3S being 3 styles - wave/freestyle/freeride) a few testers said it made it less suitable for freeriding than the older 236cm classic. 1 mag said it was now 2.5S.

BTB
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by BTB » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:57 pm

Makes sense to me. Freestyle boards are great for freeride in light winds as they have so much lift / early planning performance. However without the outside straps they are not comfortable to free ride with.

I doubt people will change the straps that much but it makes buying one a safer bet and that is what it is all about.

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by billyboy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:13 pm

I am surprised modern freestyle boards aren't more popular for more "normal" sailing. I can't think of anything I'd rather be on with any sail from 5.7 down to 4.2 when there are no waves. I don't do freestyle but they are great for maximising air time and doing "old school" freestyle. Compared to when I used them a decade ago they are waaaay more comfortable in stringer wind and chop which makes them a lot more than just a small board you can get going on early.

Not sure I'd stick a big fin and outboard straps in one. That would ruin it!

TOTD
Been liked: 28 times

Post by TOTD » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:53 pm

billyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:13 pm
I am surprised modern freestyle boards aren't more popular for more "normal" sailing. I can't think of anything I'd rather be on with any sail from 5.7 down to 4.2 when there are no waves. I don't do freestyle but they are great for maximising air time and doing "old school" freestyle. Compared to when I used them a decade ago they are waaaay more comfortable in stringer wind and chop which makes them a lot more than just a small board you can get going on early.

Not sure I'd stick a big fin and outboard straps in one. That would ruin it!
I ve had several , current a Skate and JP. I agree mostly with BB .

Starboard doesn’t score a goal all the time, quite a few red cards.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Bouke/Witchcraft
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:43 am

Got one in to repair now from a PWA rider training for the PWA in Sotavento. It looks like a normal modern freestyle board albeit with a wider nose and narrower tail. This one does not have outboard placed straps at the back and at the front the second row is just one inch further outboard with the inboard ones being very inboard. I think you can use most freestyle boards for some blasting about.
Here is Andreas in Denmark using a 5.9 Karma on an Ouija 94 when the wind was too light for anything else:
I don´t know if he put a bigger fin in it but the board does not have outward set straps.
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.

PK1111
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by PK1111 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Can only comment having sailed Fanatic Skates over the years, and think this could be a great move. I’ve really enjoyed sailing them, even in groove ride mode.
They make fabulous light wind companions for wave sailors.
I’m not sure about adding a double back strap or a big fin, but hey, if it works then all good!
Might make for a fine replacement when my current FSW dies.

Asle
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Asle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:58 am

I have been sailing dedicated freestyle boards since they started making them. I do a lit of basic sliding freestyle, but also a lot of classic freestyle and often I just sail around gybing. I have always liked those boards for gybing. They are super easy to stay planing thrugh gybes. When it is lighter planing conditions there are no more fun boards than these boards exept for a full on bigger slalom set up that gives most action and also scary sailing if you want to push.

But, I can not see me bother to chang the position of the straps on a freestyle. Even changing fin I do not think I would do. I am happy going around with a small freestyle fin.

TOTD
Been liked: 28 times

Post by TOTD » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm

I don’t do freestyle, on purpose, I use a longer fin, cause I don’t much like walking when I have a good rig under me.
I don’t understand why changing a fin is anything to even print. Of all things on the rig it’s the easiest to do, Barr the odd Tuttle.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

gasppol
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gasppol » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:44 pm

The board become 1st place on both men and women at Sotavento Freestyle Championship. Not bad for a freeride board (says the commentators).