Sunday 30 June

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
PK1111
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 41 times

Sunday 30 June

Post by PK1111 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Belated start today as I went on a bender with Mrs PK last night, and tide and wind looked good in the afternoon.

My sailing buddy Bill had an offer to try wind foiling from Ant Baker at Shoreham so that solved where to sail.
Got down there for 2 and it looked fabulous, sunny, warm, and way more windy than expected, about 20 knots plus.

Headed out on the RRD FSW 90 with my old S1 5.3 which was perfect. Blasting out at warp factor over the turquoise waters, full speed outside gybes and glorious scenery as you flew back in to a more choppy but sometimes rewarding inside gybe.
Rinse and repeat for 4 hours!

It was crazy windy for Bill on the foil but he absolutely went for it, no crashes and started to get some progress.
Hugely impressive performance. Great support from Ant as well. How many pro sportsmen would give up those conditions to run a taster session? A true credit!

The locals were loving the conditions and I counted 30 sails on the water, with the usual standouts, even the odd loop.

Frankly, it was a full on party on the water, as much fun as Mrs PK, a bottle of Prosecco and a disco of groovy tunes! 🤪
I reckoned the rating was a solid 4 on the Skunkatron, but when I checked at the end of the day, it had nudged into a 5.

Fab u lous darlings!

Hazzabee
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Sunday 30 June

Post by Hazzabee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Glorious 5.2/90L conditions 3-5pm at Costa Del Hove.
Cloudless skies, warm turquoise sea, full power wind and loop ramps a plenty.
But deserted. Where was everybody???
Chop bothering at Shoreham lagoon it would appear :roll:

Charlie W
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Charlie W » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:18 pm

3 'till 5.30 at the local. Mostly perfectly powered on 5.3/95 with 2/3ft punchy waves. Onshore but with good enough angle for jumping 'n wiggling. Newly sugar coated board felt like new with no slippage at last. Joined by 3 danglers plus whooping swimmers - "go for the forward!"
Attachments
Screenshot_20190630-222130_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190630-222130_Gallery.jpg (479.8 KiB) Viewed 120 times

rod
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by rod » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Days like this I miss Hove. Not enough for my 5.8 and super mini at my local S Wales wave spot so headed to Newton in Porthcawl for a 5.2 foil session. Great fun but an afternoon of 5.2 forward ramps would have been better!

DaveMac
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by DaveMac » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:59 am

Great long weekend on our big boat. Whole family. Memorable broad reach in rolly swell back to Chichester, hitting 8 knots :D
Skunkatron rating 5.0. Thank f**k I declined that BBQ invite :lol:

PhilN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by PhilN » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:13 am

Charlie W wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:18 pm
3 'till 5.30 at the local. Mostly perfectly powered on 5.3/95 with 2/3ft punchy waves. Onshore but with good enough angle for jumping 'n wiggling. Newly sugar coated board felt like new with no slippage at last. Joined by 3 danglers plus whooping swimmers - "go for the forward!"
Empty beach! I bet BDC/Sandbanks was chocker. When the wind kicked in around 2pm I went to Baiter Park in Poole Harbour as I thought all the other spots would be rammed full of tourists and wouldn't be able to park.
6.5m/110l for some blasting around on.

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by billyboy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:53 am

As PK said - a fabulous summer day at shoreham with my first outing on the foil followed by bombing around on 4.3m and Fresstyle board for a couple of hours.

Foiling for the first time was tough in those conditions but some progress was made with one particularly nice flight along a swell that sticks in the memory, but I was shattered after an hour! Particularly my legs which were making constant adjustments to try and get and keep flying through all the chop and gusts! Many thanks to Ant for the loan of gear and all the tips! Next time it'll be in less wind!!

After that it was pretty nice to fang around on the FS board with the 4.3m for a couple of hours. Normally with that much wind I would go with 5m and waveboard as 5m and FS would have been a bit hectic. Well that's changed! 4.3m on FS board was sooooo much fun - way better than powered up on a waveboard with 5m for b&j - faster, more air time, and the added volume meant it was less effort and easier to make moves. Even slithering around on the little waves was super fun. I'll be changing down sail rather than board a lot more often from now on :)