strapless foiling anybody?

Foiling related talk in here
nimo
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 21 times

strapless foiling anybody?

Post by nimo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:42 am

Well, I am going in for foot surgery next teusday after a nasty catapult sailing my wave board 2 weeks ago.
I am gutted as my foiling has come on leaps and bounds over the last 6 weeks or so. :(
Looks like I will be off the water for the next few weeks / months.
When I come back to it I think strapless foiling will be my best option. Anyone done it?
I have seen some cool footage so It looks feasible.
I used to Kitesurf strapless and found after the first few sessions it felt great so hopefully this will be a similar transition.
Hopefully it will be a good option for a broken old duffer. :D

deckchair
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: strapless foiling anybody?

Post by deckchair » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:37 am

shame about your injury hope you mend Quickly. I don't know about being fully strapless but i have seen the half straps on the internet. Some of the lads started removing the back straps on their windsurf used for foiling boards but to a man they have all put one centre back strap back on.

ronnie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by ronnie » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:09 am

I have strapless foiled my JP Slate SUP 103 litre.

Usually with a GoFoil IWA foil, and once with a Zeeko 2017 windfoil when I was well overpowered and had difficulty keeping the IWA in the water and was still way overpowered on the Zeeko, so I just did one run out and in with each foil on that particular occasion.

In light winds, with a big foil and smallish sail, it feels particularly nice to foil strapless - it just seems kinda natural. If the gear is balanced, you can foil slowly and it is easier to get into the right position and a neutral stance. You cannot put a lot of power through your feet without straps, so it will be easier on your foot.

I have used rear half straps on a Gecko 112 and they do allow for more positions for your rear foot, so I would say that they are an aid for learning at the start. Because the Zeeko foil was easier than the IWA, I tended to use that combination most. I found that my foot got forced into the hook until it was on my foot and touching my ankle when windsurfing with the hooks, but I could keep reasonable control over chop when windsurfing. There was less force when foiling, but I would say that strapless foiling works so well that you will not need hooks - provided you have gear you can foil with low power from the sail.

The IWA is a very reactive foil, so the slow speed was key to be able to foil with it. I have now replaced the IWA with the NP Glide Large, with the Surf fuselage and 65cm mast, for use on the strapless SUP board. The IWA can be used to learn on, but it is more suitable for waves and more advanced riding.

I've been off the water 6.5 months of the last 8 with 3 different injuries so haven't got to try the Glide Large strapless yet. I did try it on the JP 105 and it felt nice and controllable, but the wind was very marginal that day and I ended up injuring a tendon. From the way the Large lifted so (maybe too?) easily on the 105, I'm expecting to use the Medium on the 105 and the Large on the 103 SUP.

So I would say strapless is enjoyable most with a big foil (>1200? up to 2500) and a smallish sail (<5.5?), but it could be done with a bigger sail and a smallish foil. I have foiled strapless with a 6.3 and a 4.5 and the smaller sail is nicer. My largest sail now is 5.9m. I have seen video of someone racing strapless (The Fort Boyard race?) and seeming to be doing OK.
EDIT: This is the video - he can hit 27 knots strapless.

With a stable 2000 Surf foil.

With a 950 windfoil and 5m sail. Higher skill level can reduce the sizes of foil and sail.
Last edited by ronnie on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

nimo

Post by nimo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks for the replies,
the type of foiling I am loving is the small sail low power foiling, My slingshot foil is amazing for this so hopefully should be fine.
I will let you know how it goes when I am back on the water in a few weeks.
The foot hooks idea is interesting. I have used them on a kite board and liked them. could be a good halfway option.

JB:)
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times

Post by JB:) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:17 am

The board I built myself has no strap options. Largely because I didn't know where they needed to be. I am looking at adding straps at some point, but the board is perfectly usable without straps. There is no lean back and blast though. I have to adopt a fairly wide open stance and find the balance point and sort of feather the sail and balance the board. It is not as relaxing as I thought it would be, but it is certainly windsurfing and a lot of fun.

RodBos
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RodBos » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:24 pm

JB did you modify a deep Tuttle box windsurfing board or large race kite board?

Post by JB:) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Neither. I built it from scratch.

nimo

Post by nimo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Any pictures JB ? I am thinking of a similar project.

Post by JB:) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:22 pm

nimo

Post by nimo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:35 pm

nice!