Fri 14th June

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
rod
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 29 times

Fri 14th June

Post by rod » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Another windy day on the South Coast.
I headed to Overcombe on a foiling mission but it was too windy (for me) so had a boring time blasting around on 5.8 and my Super mini. Then Steve suggested we head over to Portland Harbour (less chop) for some foiling practice. Result!

The wind started well and I was flying on 5.2 (with my smaller Naish foil) then it dropped quite a bit so I changed up to 5.8 and was still getting flying relatively easily (even though there was not enough wind to waterstart). By this time there were beginners on the water learning (so not much wind). And eventually I couldn't get flying at all, though other people were getting going on hydrofoils who were evidently a lot better than me!).

Each time out I am definitely improving (this was my 4th session).

I am absolutely knackered now, uphauling, balancing and trimming the foil, and sailing without much weight on the harness is all seriously hard work compared to being powered up on a short board.

Charlie W
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Fri 14th June

Post by Charlie W » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:53 am

Southbourne 3 'till 5 on big gear. There were some waist to chest high mushy waves but mostly found it too light & onshore to really catch them. Only got planning a few times on my too heavy board.

Coxy mostly planing on same size gear - getting some tasty turns, hacks & hits off the top. But no proper jumping this time. :mrgreen:

Ditched the GoPro early on to get going better. Thanks Roger Bushnell for the pic
Attachments
FB_IMG_1560595660307.jpg
FB_IMG_1560595660307.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 49 times