Van racking system still exist?

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Jamesblonde
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Van racking system still exist?

Post by Jamesblonde » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Just saw a van rack on Facebook and wondered what happened to the original manufacturer? Was there not enough interest as I can't seem to find them any longer.

DavidA
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Van racking system still exist?

Post by DavidA » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Not sure they are. If you are looking for cheap easy racking try plastic pipe shop.co.uk who sell display grade plastic tube. Stuff shop fitters use for clothing rails. So you get a very stiff 1” dia tube which easily holds boards without flexing. Plenty of fittings. Cheap as well. Recently built a 4 board rack for my VW. Screwed to floor and wall but can be easily taken out if you want to move furniture etc. Doesn’t rust.

BillG
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by BillG » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi David, I've just bought a Citroen Dispatch (new shape) and am about to build a rack for it. Do you have any photos of yours? Want to pinch ideas!

TOTD
Been liked: 18 times

Post by TOTD » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Once were popular in USA , called Gorge Rack. I don’t see them now.

With the many roof fittings , it may be easier to make your own.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

BillG

Post by BillG » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:58 pm

I think I've seen a photo from an old US forum of one of your racks TOTD. I'm partly copying the idea.

DavidA

Post by DavidA » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Bill, I will take some photos later in the week. The tubing generally comes in 1m lengths unless you order longer lengths . The metre lengths are perfect given boards are only 2m long and you need 2 uprights in its length. But I just went classic uprights with cross bars screwed to the floor and the side wall.

BillG

Post by BillG » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks David. did you use glue or screw it together?

DavidA

Post by DavidA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:55 am

Bill, I bought a load of fittings as they are so cheap and some glue. Glueing it together gives it a lot of rigidity laterally etc. They then have fittings for the end of poles which are called table cap which have 3 screw holes I used for screwing in to the ply floor lining and the wall lining. Otherwise there is also pipe clips to hold the uprights in to the sidewall. I have also noticed it now comes in funky colours it was just plain white when I bought it. I would take photos sooner but currently we are filling the van with garden waste and stuff from a clearout ready to go to the tip on Thursday, as there is no wind, and you cant really see the rack for stuff at the moment. The tricky part is getting the measurement right so that you can slide the boards in and out with fins and straps on with out wasting too much head height. I had to stack 4 boards plus sails on the bottom all on one side of the van. I did angle the rack slightly nose down so that they all didn't slide out through the Back window when you accelerate up a steep hill! In a few weeks time I will be adding further to it so we can store kite stuff and SUPs in the rest of the van ready for an autumn road trip to Ireland.

TOTD
Been liked: 18 times

Post by TOTD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 pm

DavidA wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:55 am
Bill, I bought a load of fittings as they are so cheap and some glue. Glueing it together gives it a lot of rigidity laterally etc. They then have fittings for the end of poles which are called table cap which have 3 screw holes I used for screwing in to the ply floor lining and the wall lining. Otherwise there is also pipe clips to hold the uprights in to the sidewall. I have also noticed it now comes in funky colours it was just plain white when I bought it. I would take photos sooner but currently we are filling the van with garden waste and stuff from a clearout ready to go to the tip on Thursday, as there is no wind, and you cant really see the rack for stuff at the moment. The tricky part is getting the measurement right so that you can slide the boards in and out with fins and straps on with out wasting too much head height. I had to stack 4 boards plus sails on the bottom all on one side of the van. I did angle the rack slightly nose down so that they all didn't slide out through the Back window when you accelerate up a steep hill! In a few weeks time I will be adding further to it so we can store kite stuff and SUPs in the rest of the van ready for an autumn road trip to Ireland.
Remove the fins, is not so difficult. I would tie down the boards to secure, from moving Both back and forward.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

DavidA

Post by DavidA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 pm

TOTD those who know me know that as few moves in the process is best for me :D So just shove it in fins and all is great and drive off!