Sewage!

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Smidge
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 29 times

Sewage!

Post by Smidge » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:32 pm

I read a big newspaper article yesterday about how river water quality was going downhill rapidly and the water companies ignoring their obligations as they now are allowed to regulate themselves (and we can all guess how well that will work). Then today i noticed the below concerning Hayling. If you have a choice as to where to sail its worth using the SAS app that alerts for this kind of thing:

#### WEST BEACHLANDS WATER QUALITY ALERT ###

The Beachlands Council Office confirmed today that the Bue Flag on West Beachlands was lowered today because the water was filthy from sewage discharged by Southern Water - which was caused by rainfall. Havant Borough Council may have turned over a new leaf by doing the right thing when pollution occurs. All they have to do now is post warnings and they will have probably fulfilled their obligations under the blue flag scheme - we are not sure if this happened.
So if you're tempted to get in the sea you might want to check local information sources before getting wet!

Jamesblonde
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Sewage!

Post by Jamesblonde » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:55 pm

One of my past jobs was concrete cutting, we had a job for southern water in Bognor. It was an underground concrete collection tank that collected sewage for treatment. Think of an underground swimming pool full of the brown stuff I Had all the gear fixed to the wall in this tank, one of the site guys said that if he blows his whistle I must immediately leave the tank asap. Why? Well there were some summer thunderstorms due, the extra sudden rain would flood into this tank, obviously not desirable, What happens when this quite small tank was full? Well it gets pumped straight out to sea via the outfall pipe, untreated!!!
Happens also at Lancing, the outfall used to be about 200m just below the low tide mark but it's been extended in more recent years. I remember sailing there one evening and catching a nasty whiff, gybed straight back in, end of session!
What I find amusing is the ban on many beaches in summer for dogs, for which by far the majority of people clean up after. Little do people realise they are swimming in stuff far more worrying than dog doo.

BillG
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by BillG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:21 am

Just as well we went to Avon yesterday Smidge!

jamz
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by jamz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks Smidge! I was planning to go to Hayling tomorrow. Think I will give it a miss.

Radialhead
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Radialhead » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:43 am

Also worth noting there's a burst water main by the Shell garage & the road is closed. You'd expect that to be fixed by the morning but who knows. Oh & the M27 past Fareham's closed all day Saturday.
"DICTIONARIES have admitted defeat and announced that from now on ‘lose’ will be spelt ‘loose’.

The move follows the apparent inability of the entire English-speaking world to spell a simple four-letter word correctly" - The Daily Mash