Warm Water Booties

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Warm Water Booties

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Heading to Pozo this summer for my first World Cup, and I’m looking for some footwear advice.

Having seen a lot of pics from Pozo it seems the consensus is 50% for booties/shoes and 50% for bare feet. I much prefer sailing without boots and only wear boots when it’s so cold I can’t use my feet properly, but it does look like a nasty launch. I’d rather not get there and wish I had brought shoes of some sort so I’m looking for advice on what to get. What’re the best small, lightweight boots for windsurfing in rocky places with very warm weather?

Thanks in advance! :D
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

DavidA
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Warm Water Booties

Post by DavidA » Thu May 16, 2019 7:04 pm

I am a big fan of Atans as they feel quite close to bare feet but then again I haven't tried anything else for a few years. Recently saw someone using Xcel on a rocky launch and on inspection they seemed very like the bare foot feel. Somebody once told me about Dakine surf socks to prevent cuts but they seemed too flimsy.

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Arf » Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 pm

I’ve got these thin Reef surf shoes with a very thin rubber sole, they are good but easy to get sand and small stones in them.
Xcel, Atan or O’neill socks don’t have that problem as they’re up above your ankles, but you do look a right farmer wearing them with a shorty (which never bothered me to be fair, haha)

Ruaraidh_K257

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks Arf and David. Think I’m going to have to order a few different types and try them! Cheers
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

Sailrepair
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Sailrepair » Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 pm

At Pozo the rocks are smooth, the thing is to not spend too long stood on them. I made the mistake of standing in the shallows taking a bit of a pounding while altering my boom height and ended up with bruised rather than cut feet.

Atans are good but can have a tendency to roll around your foot due to the lack of structure in the shoe. my favorite are probably the "ion ballistic toes" as they are both minimalist and offer good protection from sea urchins. But I have had some other ion ones that were worse than useless.

Personally I wouldn't wear shoes at Pozo but even if you end up not wearing them it is important you take some in case you cut your foot then having some shoes might make the difference between sailing or not.

Great that you are going to take part. While it is quite a easy place to sail it is probably not a easy place to sail well.

Westy
Has liked: 20 times

Post by Westy » Fri May 17, 2019 8:00 am

+1 for Ion Ballistic Toes. Great minimalist shoe with excellent sole protection but pricey and you may eventually have to glue the rubber down where it wraps up the side of the foot.

Ruaraidh_K257

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 am

Sailrepair wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 pm
At Pozo the rocks are smooth, the thing is to not spend too long stood on them. I made the mistake of standing in the shallows taking a bit of a pounding while altering my boom height and ended up with bruised rather than cut feet.

Atans are good but can have a tendency to roll around your foot due to the lack of structure in the shoe. my favorite are probably the "ion ballistic toes" as they are both minimalist and offer good protection from sea urchins. But I have had some other ion ones that were worse than useless.

Personally I wouldn't wear shoes at Pozo but even if you end up not wearing them it is important you take some in case you cut your foot then having some shoes might make the difference between sailing or not.

Great that you are going to take part. While it is quite a easy place to sail it is probably not a easy place to sail well.
Thanks John. Will get a pair of those then. Yep I was hoping not to wear boots but the Universal Law Of Sods dictates that if you don’t bring something you’ll definitely need them! ;)

Yep, I’m really excited. I know I’m most likely going to get absolutely hammered by the local kids, but hopefully I can manage to avoid coming last! That’s my goal! Haha

Ruaraidh_K257

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 am

Westy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:00 am
+1 for Ion Ballistic Toes. Great minimalist shoe with excellent sole protection but pricey and you may eventually have to glue the rubber down where it wraps up the side of the foot.
Cheers Westy! Yep have had a look and they look pricey but I’d rather have the right thing. And I doubt I’ll have to glue it down, I’m only going to wear them for a few days, if at all.

BTB
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BTB » Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am

I have some rip curl ones having looked around for the best minimalist option. Like these but from a few years ago, they havent changed:

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2019-ri ... 13656.html

They are mostly mesh so no overheating issues.

I agree that the sock type ones are no good, they slip around on your feet so much worse than something that stays solid. The big issue i think is if you want a strap or not. I thought about cutting the strap of mine but on balance i prefer the shoes on solid and accept my feet possibly dont jam in the foot straps as well as they might without it.

Please let us know how you get on. Maybe wear these for your first few sessions then go bear feet once you get the hang of the launch.

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by billyboy » Fri May 17, 2019 12:09 pm

+1 for the thin surfing reef boots. I've used billabong ones for a few seasons and am planning on getting a new pair. They are thin enough to give good feel, but that also means they don't last long (not so bad for me as I don't sail very often!)

Perhaps the best I have ever used for feel were ion "panda paws" a few years back. I wouldn't get them again though as they were very fragile...