Maui... belatedly.

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
martinwindsurf
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Maui... belatedly.

Post by martinwindsurf » Wed May 08, 2019 1:31 am

I've been off this site for a month or so because I was... in Maui!
(I've also posted this HWIFY in the Locations thread on Maui)

Yep 'once in a lifetime' ambition achieved thanks to a last minute combination of redundancy & new job and my 50th.
So Hawaii 5-0 it was. And thanks wifey!
I absolutely loved it, but then I was spoilt by being on the Matt Pritchard Wave Gods course. Sailed 5 days out of 7, 3 at Kanaha Lowers and 2 at Sprecks. I stayed at Sprecks too which was fantastic.. like a private beach.
Sailing was boom/logo high mainly with some mast high. Just about manageable for me and Kanaha in particular was superb. As mentioned above, grassy area to rig, easy sets to read and warm water to fall in.
Paiha town was chilled out.. bit like a ski resort but full of surfers and windsurfers. Can't beat chatting with Kevin Pritchard at the bar about his Jaws and Cape Verde experiences. He was out photographing and filming us most days too.
And to top it off all the pros were putting on a show each evening at golden hour for the photographers and drones as the new 2020 kit had arrived.
Overall.. not cheap, a bloody long way to go but worth every penny and every minute just for the first big wave I caught at Kanaha on the first day, let alone the rest.
(Oh and I didn't sail Ho'okipa either because the pros were out, it was mast high, it's a tiny launch and straight onto rocks if you mess it up... are my excuses.)