Saturday 27th April

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
PK1111
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 21 times

Saturday 27th April

Post by PK1111 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Shockingly shit session at Hayling Island.
Hellchop with the ebbing neap tide and super gusty as the wind had a touch of north in it.
Launched around 10 with Simon Bornhoft Windwise clinic, which only had 4 of us so good focus.
Gear choice was simple, the smallest gear you had, so 4.2 and Mako 84, which was fine most of the time.
Had some fun jumps, a few decent gybes, the odd little ride in, but mostly it was just survival conditions.
Managed yet another catapult carnage into my rig, so feeling pretty bashed up now.
Follow on tomorrow, which should be very different.
At least the sun came out, and it felt quite warm in the afternoon.

Duncan Adam
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Saturday 27th April

Post by Duncan Adam » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Weston-super-Mare in the golden brown water, 3.7m and 81ltr and I was still over powered at times.

A few face plants at times but was still nice to get out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

BillG
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by BillG » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Memo to self: Never ever ever go to Hayling in a westerly unless it's float and ride with ground swell! As PK says it was hell. Waves going out on the waves coming in (well almost), massive gusts followed by lulls when you couldn't waterstart and horrible currents. All a bit of a shock after 2 great weeks in Tiree sailing on port tack with swell. Rigged my Moo 66L & 3.4 Taka 4 which was as right as anything else.

I almost went to Bracklesham and I wish I had. Definitely next time!

DaveMac
Has liked: 12 times

Post by DaveMac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:53 pm

Well I got the Hannah t shirt too. Missed the low tide option thinking 2pm would be ok. Looked at Marroccos but it looked messy, the shore break grim and no one there. Onto Carratts and the sea state looked great, but although people were out they didn't look to be thriving. And the shore break looked challenging and was only going to get worse .(3pm). Made the decision to hit Worthing and skip Shoreham. Perfect timing and zilch shore break.Obviously still a gusty cross off but the sea not too punishing. Pretty choppy out the back. Epic fail with the Quatro 96, not enough float and not the conditions to reacquaint myself. Got my 106 and had a reasonable sail with 4.5m,nice sunshine and some smooth spaces for gybing on the inside. Couple of hard catapults .... painful!

PhilN
Been liked: 4 times

Post by PhilN » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:57 pm

It was quite good at K-Bay, I didn't go as it looked too windy for me. I was ok for a 4.5m/94l blast in Poole Harbour after 3pm when the wind eased off a bit, it was honking at 10:30am.
I wonder who won the slalom at Lee-on-the-Solent.

FiveOh
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by FiveOh » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 pm

East Witts was pretty good (midday). 4.0 mostly overpowered, and some surprisingly good waves. Quite tiring though. Warm enough too.

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Arf » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Pretty good sail at Camber, waves were quite bowly and breaking far out. 4.2 and 72 was about right, although it was quite gusty. I never felt comfortable, as if I rigged badly but I think it was just the wind angle which was swinging slightly cross off at times combined with lack of practice.
Feeling great now though, really good to get wet again and see all the guys down there. One of the regulars gave me a set of prolimit straps that I love as he’s switched to regular straps, so that was the icing on the cake for a great day. Cheers my man 😀

rod
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by rod » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:08 pm

Fun 4hrs at kimmeridge. 12-4pm. Wind really up and down especially deep in the bay. Nuking 4.2 wind to big non planing lulls.
Very mellow conditions otherwise. Super smooth water and chest to head high waves breaking across the bay. Even got sunburnt.

Went out on my simmer 90 to start with, which was great in the gusts but sinks a bit in the lulls so did the unthinkable and swapped to the Super Mini 103...
...and suddenly everything was easy and great fun, didn't even notice the lulls.

I've never used that board with a 4.2. It was fine!

K bay was a good choice today, the local Wales spots I usually sail were nuclear windy and a mammoth swell.

BillG
Has liked: 24 times

Post by BillG » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:12 pm

FiveOh wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 pm
East Witts was pretty good (midday). 4.0 mostly overpowered, and some surprisingly good waves. Quite tiring though. Warm enough too.
Where did you park to sail east Witts FiveOh? When I last sailed at Jollife road it seemed to be no parking April to Sept.

FiveOh
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by FiveOh » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:50 pm

[/quote]

Where did you park to sail east Witts FiveOh? When I last sailed at Jollife road it seemed to be no parking April to Sept.
[/quote]

Barn Walk. I never park at Jollife but there seemed to be lots there today.