Big freestyle board for foiling

Foiling related talk in here
Smidge
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 24 times

Big freestyle board for foiling

Post by Smidge » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:07 pm

I bought a big freestyle board (111l, 66x235 - 2015 starboard flare) yesterday on ebay as a bit of an experiment as I have never used one before, and because it was super cheap. Seeing how flat the back is and how sharp the rails (i.e. early planing) it occurred to me that it could maybe be interesting to convert it for freeride foil use for lighter sailors like my wife or daughter. So idea would be to get twin US boxes put into it and use it with my slingshot FWIND foil.

Any views? Is this mad? Its got an amateur repair to its slotbox so if that doesnt hold it will be needing some work anyway.

ronnie
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Big freestyle board for foiling

Post by ronnie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Seems like a doable plan. The slot box is not designed for much load, so the reinforcement in the area is probably going to need modified for a foil.

I got 2 Chinook US 10" boxes put in my Gecko 112. I didn't see the actual method used to put them in, though I had discussed it and had bolted the boxes to a small wooden board so that when the boxes were inserted they could be lined up to the centreline I had marked on the board and they were fixed parallel and the correct distance apart. I kept the Powerbox in the Gecko while the tracks were added.

You can buy foam blocks with 2 Futures US type boxes in them. That seems to be what is in the modded SUP board I bought. The boxes are squeezed in the centre down to 8mm width, whereas they should be 9mm gap along the full length, so if you are buying those type of boxes, check the width of the openings and have blanks in them while the boxes are inserted into the board. It doesn't stop mine working fine for the 8mm foil bolts on my SUP.

The Gecko had tail rocker, so you could either have the boxes put in at an angle to align the foil correctly, or have the boxes inserted as a tangent to the rocker (if there is any rocker) and then use a small wedge to adjust the foil angle.

I got advice from Zeeko as to where to place my boxes and it worked out perfectly as the board is balanced perfectly with the Zeeko mast in the middle of the boxes. They gave me a measurement from the front straps.

I have windSUPed my SUP with a 9" SUP fin in one of the tracks and it feels reasonable.
I have read somewhere of someone using twin fins in the tracks to windsurf a foil board which has 2 US tracks, but you could also keep the slot box if you wanted to, in which case, the tangent method would be the way to go to keep the rocker for that.

deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by deckchair » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:10 am

great idea . i have been thinking along the same lines . i have a 110 litre rrd twin tip sitting in the garden . i am thinking deep tuttle box . i am 85kg and when it gets down to 5m weather why do you need a big board when you pop straight on to the foil?. please keep us updated with the progress and costs smidge . i also have a slingshot fwind but have a warp speed 65 front wing

deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by deckchair » Wed May 01, 2019 2:23 pm

i think the latest Balz Muller vid has just proved the point . That Mb board he's riding is i think just 53cm wide. add 10 cm width because he is much much better than me and we are back to my twin tip width :D

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Fri May 03, 2019 11:10 am

This is a Freestyle board with a foil.

Asle
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Asle » Sat May 04, 2019 1:08 pm

This guy does a lot of foiling on a Jp freestyle 92 and the np glide foil:

https://www.windsurfjournal.com/article ... -2019,7515

Asle
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Asle » Sat May 04, 2019 1:12 pm

I read an intervju with Balz Muller where he said that width only is important when you want to win up wind races and that far to many do not realize that you can use a normal freestyle board or similar for easy sailing with a much smaller sail than the big sails they use on wide boards to go upwind.

A lot of foiling development and plublisity seems to come from sailors who has come down from formula gear to take up foiling.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Sun May 05, 2019 11:07 am

The key thing for learning seems to be that you can uphaul the board, but with a width of around 65cm or more. The ideal width seems to be related in some way to sail size.

Eventually, when you can foil well the board size can be less important. This is a 127cm by 63cm 45 litre windfoil board with a 3.7m sail.