WindSUP + van + beer gut

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
TwoFish
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 21 times

WindSUP + van + beer gut

Post by TwoFish » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Having learned, on various Harty courses, that there's a lot of light wind fun to be had with windSUPing, I've owned a Red 10'6" inflatable windSUP for a couple of years. It's a great and versatile thing, but the chaps with the hard windSUPs always have a better time of it in the waves than those of us on big, fat railed iSUPs. Therefore I think it might be time for a hard windSUP. Now I do have a Kona 10'5" surfy longboard thing, which is a sort of compromise between cruising, planing (on a step tail) and wave riding, however I think a proper windSUP is likely to deliver better wave riding. Transporting the Kona also requires pretty much the full length of the van, with the bench seat flattened to make Kona space. It would be great to have something which would fit behind the seat in a LWB T5, which would limit me to 9" if that's to be possible.

So, being a larger chap (particularly at the moment - 105KG), I would have assumed I'd need something close to 10' than 9'. However if a 9' board would work, being able to put it in the back and use the bench seat would be a big bonus. Does anyone have any insight or experience of short and wide hard windSUPs for the heavier chap? The only suitable model sub 9' model I've been able to find is the Fanatic Allwave 9'.0" . Would (ahem) an extra 8 inches or so be likely to greatly enhance my performance? Are there any other (ahem) short and wide models I should be investigating? Thoughts welcome.

PK1111
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: WindSUP + van + beer gut

Post by PK1111 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:37 pm

Hiya twofish.
I’m not an expert on current models, using an old JP fusion, about 130 litres.
It is quite low volume when at rest, even for my svelte , nimble 80kg!
Consequently I only use for flat water paddling, and even then find a starboard whopper with 160 litres a better vehicle.
For windsuping though, it works well, having plenty of float, making transitions easy.
The big challenge however is the degree of rocker you will find on a surf orientated sup. This makes them a bit slower, and means they will never release onto the plane.
I think you’ll find the fanatic all wave to be quite similar to the jp.
Cheers, pk

ronnie
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by ronnie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:37 am

Hi TwoFish,

I was researching buying a short windsup to fit in my VW T4 SWB in 2015, so I have been trying to remember the options....

Another possible board is the JP 2019 Surf Slate 8' 10" 147 litres. It has a mast mounting point for a sail.

I was about 74 kg when I got a 2016 7'6" 115 litre Surf Slate for my first SUP board. A big issue is that they only recommended up to a 5m sail, and the board has no foot straps. To get more out of it, I began to use it with a quad fin setup with a knubster small centre fin and used up to a 6.3m sail. The thing I found with it is that you are limited with the power you can put into the board with no straps and the high rocker meant that it took a lot of power to get it planing in flat water. It does pick up on a wave very well though, so you can use a wave to get planing, but you will still need a lot of power to keep it planing if it is not being pushed by a wave. It turned like a much smaller wave board and gybed very well. It didn't go upwind very well because of the rocker, rails, fins etc, so you would need a good combination of waves and wind direction to make it enjoyable to get upwind and then ride waves (probably sideshore wind with waves). I only actually used it for SUP and windSUP in flattish water, except on one occasion when I paddled it in small surf and it picked up small waves very well.

I now have a 7' 2" 103 litre version of the 2016 Surf Slate and I have paddled it at 77kg , but it has been modified for foiling (which is why I went for the smaller size).

They have redesigned the Surf Slates for 2018 & on so the new ones may have different characteristics.

There is a Starboard 2019 Hypernut 8' 0" which windSUPs and can also foil. It has straps as an option and can also be foiled. It is only 133 litres, so although you could paddle it around as a SUP, it doesn't have a lot of spare volume.
Steve-o has the 104 litre version of it. viewtopic.php?f=14&p=2098#p2098
Last edited by ronnie on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:05 am

There is also the Naish Hover 150 litre 8' 0" which is another multi-discipline board.
This is a review of the 120 litre version.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:00 am

Until 2015 Starboard used to offer an 8' 10" 143 litre wide point that was available with a windsup option, but they didn't seem to make many of them.

Another windsup option is the 2018 AHD Sealion XL 150 litre 9' 0"
https://www.windsurf.co.uk/test/ahd-sea ... 18-review/

TwoFish

Post by TwoFish » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks chaps. That's really helpful and much appreciated (especially the extra options you've identified there Ronnie. Thanks for taking the time to dig those out). It is a float and ride board I'm looking for rather than a flat-water-planing-in-the-straps affair, though my feeling is I'd do better with something at the faster rockered end of the wavy windSUP spectrum, on the basis that getting going is normally more of an issue for me than turning. I doubt I'd be doing much (any?) flat water paddle cruising on it, so if the main benefit of extra length is that, perhaps I'd not be giving away much of value by going shorter. I suppose more length should also mean faster sub-planing speeds and so less acceleration required to catch waves.

So, anyone know of any ex-fatties who, through the virtue of their miracle diet, are no longer in need of their short but fat windSUP?

Thought not.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 pm

TwoFish wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:53 am
Thanks chaps. That's really helpful and much appreciated (especially the extra options you've identified there Ronnie. Thanks for taking the time to dig those out). It is a float and ride board I'm looking for rather than a flat-water-planing-in-the-straps affair, though my feeling is I'd do better with something at the faster rockered end of the wavy windSUP spectrum, on the basis that getting going is normally more of an issue for me than turning. I doubt I'd be doing much (any?) flat water paddle cruising on it, so if the main benefit of extra length is that, perhaps I'd not be giving away much of value by going shorter. I suppose more length should also mean faster sub-planing speeds and so less acceleration required to catch waves.

So, anyone know of any ex-fatties who, through the virtue of their miracle diet, are no longer in need of their short but fat windSUP?

Thought not.
You would have more chance of getting a used Sealion XL as they have been around for at least 5 years. I don't know if the design has changed at all.
I found on the Surf Slate that it took almost all the power I could create to make the board plane in flat water, and it wasn't comfortable to sail that powered up, as you needed to keep maximum grip at all times with both feet. So it is definately wise to get one that planes fairly easily if you are going to sail it strapless. Most of the people sailing the boards seem a lot lighter than you.
One other thing to consider is that the foil boards strap positions may suit windfoiling more than windsurfing the board.

wully
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wully » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:21 am

I’ve got a nice new SUP that’s 9 feet and 140 Ltr s - it is no where near as stable as the 10’ 6” Naish it replaced..and I’m now a svelt 89\90 kgs (Of pure muscle of course)
These boards don’t come with the essential windsurf adapter so I got the excellent Craken Whites to fit one from new. No worries about strength once you’ve seen what Starboard charge you for when one fails... robbing gits.

I doubt you’ll find anything that will fit your criterion exactly- you may have to lay off the pies and ale for a bit...

TwoFish

Post by TwoFish » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks Chaps.

Good point about the mast fixing Wully. I was concerned about how a simple screw-in fitting might stand up to the forces of a huge board vs rig in breaking waves. One of positives of the AHD Sealion seems to be that it has a proper mast track (comments in this thread). You're right about the pies too. Chasing a group of sprightly pensioners up Muckish delivered a stark reminder that some of that pie-weight needs to go.

Ronnie, thanks for the Sealion suggestion. I like the sound of it, albeit it sounds as if it's a bit more towards the banana rockered end of the spectrum and perhaps a bit narrower than I would have liked. An added bonus is that the name is well chosen for my current physique.

wully
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wully » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:55 am

The deck plug I saw being ripped out a Starboard SUP was just that - a deck plug with a lump of epoxy filler on it...Kraken Whits fitted a very neat little track for strength but I recon a decent wave acting on the wide deck of a SUP will rip pretty much anything out...