Maui?

Going somewhere exotic? Discuss in here..
Hazzabee
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Maui?

Post by Hazzabee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 am

A few Kanaha pics from 10 years ago :cry:

Easy flat water launch

Kona waves

Trade wind waves

The park just behind the beach. Great place to chill between sessions.

PK1111
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by PK1111 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Honeymoon nearly 15 years ago in October, so yeah good memories and I’d go back like a shot!
We combined a first week on Oahu and a second week on Maui so packed a lot in.
If going again, I’d go for longer, but hard to do with term time limitations.
We stayed round at Lahaina which has a lot more inexpensive accommodation and the drive round wasn’t a hardship. We’d do an activity in the morning and then hit the beach in the afternoon. No sailing before 11 anyway!

Pk

Smidge
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Smidge » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 am

Ive been twice a long time ago, pre kids. I wouldnt go for less than 3 weeks - especially with kids. It takes a week to recover from the jetlag in both directions. We went in summer when we were intermediates. Awesome - 4.5 weather everyday for a month. Mainly kanaha but also sprecks. There are places you can rent where you can windsurf straight out from bottom of garden!

If you have mainly non windsurfers then being in a hotel with facilities on the Lahaina or Kihei side might make sense (also less wind) and then drive around for the windsurfing. We often went to Lahaina in evenings anyway.

socialsailor
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by socialsailor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:12 pm

I’m on Maui at the moment. My last trip here was 10 years ago. Maui is a bucket list trip for sure, but it’s hard to combine a satisfying windsurfing trip with a family holiday. 10 years ago I came with my wife and kids and we stayed at an apartment in Kihei that had a pool for the kids. I spent probably an hour and a half each day driving back and forth to Hookipa. Kanaha is closer to Kihei but really doesn’t have good waves. Lowers is usually tiny, and uppers is a mess of cross onshore mixed up swells. Kihei is also a lot hotter than the north shore so you’ll run your air conditioner 24/7 in the apartment.

This time I’m traveling solo and staying in Paia. Much more convenient for Hookipa. Much more satisfying trip than 10 years ago.

socialsailor

Post by socialsailor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Couple negatives
-expect traffic
-restaurants range from expensive to extremely expensive
-there’s attitude
-state law that can’t windsurf or kite before 11 am
-accommodation is expensive or crap
-some of the rental gear is poorly maintained (pm me for which rental shop to avoid)
-Hookipa is crowded, and even the non sponsored local sailors are better and more aggressive than the best sailors at your home break
-Kanaha lowers is crowded with people who don’t have a clue about wave etiquette, so you’ll never get a wave to yourself.

Other comments
-check out www.mauisurfreport.blogspot.com for daily surf report
-so far this trip wind seems strongest 2-4 pm, and seems to swing slightly offshore as it drops
-for me at 85 kg, 4.7 and 5.3 is all I’ve needed so far, combined with a bigger board (98 L has worked great for me) for the light wind on the inside

PK1111
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by PK1111 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:58 pm

socialsailor wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 pm
Couple negatives
-expect traffic
-restaurants range from expensive to extremely expensive
-there’s attitude
-state law that can’t windsurf or kite before 11 am
-accommodation is expensive or crap
-some of the rental gear is poorly maintained (pm me for which rental shop to avoid)
-Hookipa is crowded, and even the non sponsored local sailors are better and more aggressive than the best sailors at your home break
-Kanaha lowers is crowded with people who don’t have a clue about wave etiquette, so you’ll never get a wave to yourself.

Yeah, but it’s Maui!
Breath it in. Smile. Look at the magical scenery. Try other activities.
There’s plenty else to see and do, places to stay and eat, that’s not going to bust your wallet

socialsailor

Post by socialsailor » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:02 am

Sailing with turtles-priceless. For everything else there’s MasterCard.

Ruaraidh_K257
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:22 am

northy wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 pm
need to work around school holidays and now entering 4 yrs of gcse and a levels with eldest 2 - so that realistically means either summer or go alone or wait. October half term would maybe be poss but its the Aloha classic...even busier than normal!
If you went alone I think Archie would kill you! ;)
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

socialsailor

Post by socialsailor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:59 pm

socialsailor wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 pm
-for me at 85 kg, 4.7 and 5.3 is all I’ve needed so far, combined with a bigger board (98 L has worked great for me) for the light wind on the inside
98 L turned out to be too big on the wave at Hookipa when we finally got a mast high day.

martinwindsurf
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Post by martinwindsurf » Wed May 08, 2019 1:29 am

I've been off this site for a month or so because I was... in Maui!
Yep 'once in a lifetime' ambition achieved thanks to a last minute combination of redundancy & new job and my 50th.
So Hawaii 5-0 it was. And thanks wifey!
I absolutely loved it, but then I was spoilt by being on the Matt Pritchard Wave Gods course. Sailed 5 days out of 7, 3 at Kanaha Lowers and 2 at Sprecks. I stayed at Sprecks too which was fantastic.. like a private beach.
Sailing was boom/logo high mainly with some mast high. Just about manageable for me and Kanaha in particular was superb. As mentioned above, grassy area to rig, easy sets to read and warm water to fall in.
Paiha town was chilled out.. bit like a ski resort but full of surfers and windsurfers. Can't beat chatting with Kevin Pritchard at the bar about his Jaws and Cape Verde experiences. He was out photographing and filming us most days too.
And to top it off all the pros were putting on a show each evening at golden hour for the photographers and drones as the new 2020 kit had arrived.
Overall.. not cheap, a bloody long way to go but worth every penny and every minute just for the first big wave I caught at Kanaha on the first day, let alone the rest.
(Oh and I didn't sail Ho'okipa either because the pros were out, it was mast high, it's a tiny launch and straight onto rocks if you mess it up... are my excuses.)