Severne Mako 84

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
PK1111
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 67 times

Severne Mako 84

Post by PK1111 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:10 pm

First trial of a new Severne Mako 84 today at Avon beach in typical small waves and mix of 20 to 30 plus knots.

I bought as a smallest board for high winds and or big waves, looking to replace an old Rrd wave quad tri fin (bit old now) and a Witchcraft wave 80 (bit hectic in chop).
I was a bit worried buying a new quad off spec and without any test reports, but really like my Severne Nano 93.

I shouldn’t have worried. Set up with the good quality stock G10 fins, the board felt immediately easy to use, balanced and comfortable.
It needed the usual degree of working onto the plane but released easily and gets up to a decent speed. It certainly isn’t a purist banana board that feels like you’re towing a bucket behind!
The good speed allows for strong jumps and the board feels compact and manouverable in the air.
The gybes were a real pleasure, so smooth and helping you as much as possible, even in the usual savage outside chop.
Waves were a bit limited and it took quite a bit of effort to make the most of them, but transition from backside to frontside was easy and fluid, wave riding was great fun.
I can’t wait to get this board onto some proper groundswell.

So overall, a fabulous all round quad in this size.

Manawa
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Severne Mako 84

Post by Manawa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 am

Hi at all I am new in this forum, can I ask news about this board?
Thanks in advance

PK1111

Post by PK1111 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi Manawa.

It’s been a really quiet year for wind, so only had a few more sessions on this board.
I tried on a typical, choppy, cross shore windy day, about 20 to 25 knots, at Worthing, with the tri fins from my Nano and a 5m blade.
It was a super smooth sail, and the tri fins gave a bit more drive to plane earlier and faster, which helped the jumping and staying upwind. It felt a lot more comfortable than my Nano, a more traditional feel.
As an all round wave board, I’m still really pleased and impressed.
It would make a great partner to a larger fsw, fs or freeride board. I think you could swap straight down from a 6m to this with a 5.2 if you get consistent winds.
If your wind is a bit liable to lulls and you have more waves or less chop, then a stubby might be more applicable.

We tend to get some good onshore sessions through the summer, but I don’t expect to get on classic dtl waves till Autumn.

Manawa

Post by Manawa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Thank a lot PK, now I use an Ultra kode 80 (very nice board), but in the future....my be. Let us know if you tray again the board.
Thank again.

Manawa

Post by Manawa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:53 am

Last week I've broken my S1 pro 4.4 2018 (my girlfriend broken it at Lake Garda :shock: :D :o :shock: ) so I've spent 750 Euro to remplace this sail with a new one 4.4 S1 pro 2019. I love S1 pro. Big problem because this don't allow me to buy the new Mako 84 at a very good price (800 euro, I'will sold my Ultrakode 80 at the surf shop as used gear, sorry for bad english). :roll:

PK1111

Post by PK1111 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:54 am

Update having spent more time on this board especially in more powerful larger cross shore waves.

I’m still blown away by the blend of early planing, good speed, yet forgiving nature and great grip and drive on waves.
Planing wise, I think it’s easier to release and faster than my Nano if they were the same size. Really unexpected and this translates into quick assured runs out through the impact zone, or to pick out jumps - it gives a lot of confidence.
If planing, you can easily power over big walls of white water. If not, you still tend to be able to cork over and stay upright without sinking or spinning out the tail.

Did I mention it’s fast?
For a quad, it really is, and that helps a lot when trying to catch fast moving ground swell. That also helps pick off waves I’m a competitive environment!

Finally, wave riding is a joy with as much turning ability as I need. Sure the Nano might turn a bit quicker but that isn’t such a bonus in higher winds and bigger waves.