Board Sizes

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 54 times

Board Sizes

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi all, asking for a bit of advice here.

I’ve just joined the JP team and am in the process of replacing my quiver. Gotten an 83l Ultimate Wave which is pretty much perfect for me from float and ride down to 4.0 bordering on 3.3 weather, but is just a little too big in the super windy days. I weigh 60kg and my smallest board currently is a 69l Quatro KT edition Quad (technically, it’s my dad’s, but he likes to sail his 80l Nuevo more often!)

I’m trying to decide what the best small board would be: 59l Young Guns quad, which is a scaled down version of the JP Radical Thruster Quad from 2018, or a 69l Ultimate Wave. I’m hopefully spending some time in Pozo this summer as well, so I need a board for the super windy days. I have no issue tacking, gybing or uphauling my dad’s 69, and I do notice a bit of excess volume that I really don’t need when it’s windy. The JPs do feel a little smaller than a lot of boards, given their super narrow tails, but I’m really torn between -1 litre or +9 litres!

I don’t really have experience with sinkers, as I had a 60l Flare when I was younger and weighed about 50kg, but that was it. I used my dad’s quad when it was super windy after I improved and the Flare, which is exactly equal to my body weight, a single fin freestyle board, started to feel a bit lacklustre when wave riding. I’m not sure what a sinker would feel like, and how it would sail!

So, to sum it up, I’m asking for advice from bigger sailors; would a just about sinker of a board be better than one with 9 l of positive volume when it’s super windy. 3.0/3.3 weather, so from Force 7 upwards!

Thanks in advance.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

BillG
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Board Sizes

Post by BillG » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi Ru,

Advice from a lighter sailor. I wouldn't go anywhere near a real 'sinker' nowadays, bigger boards work so much better in stronger winds. My last Magic Touch board (see thread re. boards I should have kept) was probably just over 60L. It was great in most conditions but it was still a problem in really strong winds as the difference between gusts and lulls is much greater. My current 66L Moo (10L extra float) is much better in extreme winds, I just put a 14cm centre fin in and the sail is usually the problem for me.

Don't forget as I've said to you before you are only going to get heavier!

If you like the Ultimate wave the 69 seems like the perfect pairing.

Ruaraidh_K257

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:01 pm

I agree with you Bill, but modern boards are so much better at staying on the plane... is one litre going to make a massive difference? Dad’s 69 paired with my 3.3 was just too big on the windiest day we got at the Wave Classic, which Marc Pare said was the usual wind you get in Pozo! I’m not sure if the 3.0 that should be arriving soon will be a big enough step down in size to work nicely with a 69. Maybe I just need to grow some balls and get better at sailing totally overpowered?

And the note about being heavier, in a year’s time I’ll be ordering the 2020 gear... I know I eat a lot but I’m not going to put that much weight on in 12 months!
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

JB:)
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by JB:) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 am

When I was 18 I weighed in at 55kgs and sailed a lot. I had a 73 litre board and that was it for everything from lake sailing to south coast trips. It was plenty big enough for float and ride and rockered enough for big winds. This was way back in the long 250cm trad design days.

Now boards have much more range. And with multi fins much more control.

Personally I would go for the bigger board as 1. You will get bigger even 5kgs (when you add wetsuit etc.) can change the experience of sailing a board 2. A bigger board gives you more room for error, especially when you are learning new tricks or going out in intimidating conditions. 3. You will get on it more and learn how to use it better than a tiny board you use once in a blue moon.

Plus have a look at the construction difference, the kids board may be a lighter weaker construction. This might have an influence if you are planning on challenging pozo.

Ruaraidh_K257

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:31 pm

That makes sense. I would still use the kids quad regularly, just with a bigger sail, but I suppose a 69 would make more sense. Just need to make a bit more money, and I’ll get it ordered.

Sailrepair
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Sailing aside, I would not go for the young gun as it will be warrantied up to a certain weight and you are only going to get heavier. While it might be a great shape it is unlikely to have quite as much reinforcement built into it hence they tend to state a maximum weight of rider.

Sailing today? Here is rubbish, force 1 to 7 and nothing in between, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

northy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by northy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:55 pm

so whats the new norm for wave board sizing - ie for 1 all rounder -> 20 litres more than weight in kg?? (Ru your board is 23litres more than u weigh, right...so thats me on a 113?)

Sailrepair
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:09 pm

northy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:55 pm
so whats the new norm for wave board sizing - ie for 1 all rounder -> 20 litres more than weight in kg??
I would say as a one only board about 5 ltrs over your weight. A 2 board quiver would be one near your weigh and one +15 ltrs But some people sail small boards and others sail relatively big boards.

Ruaraidh_K257

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:35 pm

northy wrote:
so whats the new norm for wave board sizing - ie for 1 all rounder -> 20 litres more than weight in kg?? (Ru your board is 23litres more than u weigh, right...so thats me on a 113?)
If I lived somewhere with good wind or good waves, I’d have the 69 as my all rounder... but we don’t get epic conditions here, I just want something fast that also works on windy days...

My new quiver will be 69 and 83 which is a big gap but while I can bog out in no wind on the 69, the 83 just makes everything easier! The JP feels exceptionally small for its size and turns far better than a lot of other brands’ 80l+ boards, so you can get away with more float.

Also as I’m quite skinny I like bigger board + smaller sail, as I don’t like trying to turn with a bigger sail. I have no issue turning an 83, but anything bigger than about 4.7 starts to become a bit tricky. A bigger bloke might like a bigger sail and a smaller board, I don’t know.
Last edited by Ruaraidh_K257 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruaraidh_K257

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:40 pm

northy wrote:
Looking at what pros sail, I haven’t a clue what’s the norm... maybe 10l. But pros generally have the luxury of better conditions than us mortals, and better skills!

We have different needs in a board, too: I, like most UK sailors, want something that gets me going in crappy conditions. A pro wants something they can turn perfectly on a mast high wave, or stay controlled in nuking Pozo...

Just my opinion, but looking at what the pros sail and comparing it to what you sail isn’t a great idea, given we have such different priorities!