Boards you wish you'd never sold

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
wully
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Boards you wish you'd never sold

Post by wully » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:07 am

Nostalgia kick for sure as I'm pretty certain that if I did get to sail some of my favourite boards from the past I'd be horrified at how crap they are compared to my recent kit - but anyway I wish I still had:

Mistral Diamond Head - the FSW of it's day. Did everything so much better than any other board of the time.

My first custom wave board , a lovely Circle One thruster- Jeff made some sweet boards ( and really good custom wetsuits..)

My 'Star Board' Vitamin Sea custom wave board. Loved that board but it eventually broke.

Another Mistral makes the list, My Equipe. I even got given a jacket to go with it, less said about that the better.

martinwindsurf
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Boards you wish you'd never sold

Post by martinwindsurf » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:19 am

None but I'll do the opposite - boards I wish I'd never bought.
Late 90's: A green Fanatic Bee 294. My first shortboard and an absolute dog that would not carve at all. Basically a small slalom board.
Sailed it twice then pxed for a yellow F2 Ride 282 that was fab. Then moved to JP boards when Werner Giegler did.
I've stayed with Werner Giegler designed boards ever since.
Last edited by martinwindsurf on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Distinctly Average
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Distinctly Average » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:06 am

I wish I had never bought my 80ltr RRD. It is brown for a start making it hard to sell. Probably only sailed it a dozen times as it has to be nuclear at the lake to get it out. On the coast it made more sense as it is less gusty so 4.5-4.7 is still fine. Unfortunately I live about as far from the sea as you can get in Blighty.

billyboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by billyboy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:20 am

If I had a wall to hang it on I wouldn't mind my WindWaves custom wave board I bought back from australia in '88. Sailed it for 4 years until it broke, everywhere from Torquay (in Australia) to Hookipa to Walbeswick. Nostalgia++, but I bet it would be pretty shit to sail now!

Wouldn't mind my original Evo 74 to try for a laugh. I bet its still a lot of fun in 4.7m weather and waist-head high waves, but will show its age in more or less wind or wave than that! Sold it to Rod, who broke it shortly after :o

When I sell my witchcrafts I'll probably regret it!

Lostboy
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Lostboy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:58 am

1985 F2 Lightning - the one with the speed block graphics. Was a great raceboard but I also have pics of me one foot-railriding it down the Calshot speed course. I could sail it in almost anything and did. Didn't sell it, my parents donated it to the local scout troop after I'd moved out (and before I got a garage to keep it in!).

I haven't sold many boards but around the same time I had a Hy Jumpers rip off of an Open Ocean (Brian Hinde) wave board - a 260 squash tail - which was (at the time) absolutely epic. That started to age so I had it splashed (again) by Curved Air. They were awesome boards in their day and I missed them when I took the step away from them to Lightwave.

BTB
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BTB » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Going back to the early 90's i was given a lightwave wave board that was probably of mid / late 80's origin. It had a wide tail and very rounded profile, for some reason i stopped sailing it and got caught up in a sucession of slalom boards and kit generally that was bigger, heavier and much harder to sail. Looking back and knowing now what we do about how rediculous some of that 90's slalom kit was that people used for recrational sailing i should have just stuck with the LW, I should have changed my whole perspective and just bought wave gear for sailing on lakes and evrywhere else. The industry really did try its best to kill itself back then with everyone pushing sails with 5 cams and boards that were only a couple of knotts slower than the speed needles of the day.

My F2 ride 277 was the first less dedicated board and that was decent and fun to sail but I really broke the cycle with a bic saxo - an allround Freewave shape that was small but a real pleasure to sail and I haven't looked at a slalom board since.

Just think where windsurfing would be now if boards like current freerides / FSW and simple rigs were widely available and pushed in the 90s.

Lostboy
Has liked: 103 times

Post by Lostboy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:54 pm

BTB wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:17 pm
Going back to the early 90's i was given a lightwave wave board that was probably of mid / late 80's origin. It had a wide tail and very rounded profile, for some reason i stopped sailing it and got caught up in a sucession of slalom boards and kit generally that was bigger, heavier and much harder to sail. Looking back and knowing now what we do about how rediculous some of that 90's slalom kit was that people used for recrational sailing i should have just stuck with the LW, I should have changed my whole perspective and just bought wave gear for sailing on lakes and evrywhere else. The industry really did try its best to kill itself back then with everyone pushing sails with 5 cams and boards that were only a couple of knotts slower than the speed needles of the day.

My F2 ride 277 was the first less dedicated board and that was decent and fun to sail but I really broke the cycle with a bic saxo - an allround Freewave shape that was small but a real pleasure to sail and I haven't looked at a slalom board since.

Just think where windsurfing would be now if boards like current freerides / FSW and simple rigs were widely available and pushed in the 90s.
The whole "DSB" thing - where you sailed a Sputnik (of whatever size) or Mistral Energy or something similar with - as you say - loads of cams in sails that didn't have any leach release was just painful. It was all the more disappointing having followed the Sunset Slalom/Screamer era when everything was so "sailable". Buy hey, it was a young sport and needed to go through some development pains. The next generation of "chameleons" or "wave slaloms" or however you wanted to label them got us back on track.

billyboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by billyboy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 pm

I gave up for about 8 years around the DSB era. Mainly because there was nothing I found particularly fun to sail with sails >5m on chop or flat water, which covered 80% of conditions close to where I lived. Funnily enough I wouldn't have minded a DSB and cammed 6.5m at the time given an unlimited budget - at least it was challenging and exciting! Had modern freestyle boards existed back then I would definitely never have stopped...

BTB
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BTB » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:29 pm

billyboy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 pm
I gave up for about 8 years around the DSB era. Mainly because there was nothing I found particularly fun to sail with sails >5m on chop or flat water, which covered 80% of conditions close to where I lived. Funnily enough I wouldn't have minded a DSB and cammed 6.5m at the time given an unlimited budget - at least it was challenging and exciting! Had modern freestyle boards existed back then I would definitely never have stopped...
I had a similar approach - i bought quite a bit of gear early 90's with very much mixed success. I think there was some decent easy to use gear coming out in the late 90's but i'd lost a lot of faith and got in to snowboarding where you bought one set up and it cost less than a windsurf board and you used everywhere and it had no limitations in terms of conditions.

I picked up the F2 in maybe 2002 and it was by then 3 or 4 years old and the Saxo maybe a similar generation.

Having just googled and found these stats on the F2 Ride

http://www.codemaker.co.uk/ww/f2-r277.htm

It is 103l volume which is pretty much what my go to RRD board is now but at 57cm wide against the 63 of my RRD it is a very different beast in that respect.

TOTD

Post by TOTD » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Wish not sold: Naish All Terrain.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey