New boards versus old

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
BillG
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 28 times

New boards versus old

Post by BillG » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:18 am

There's an interesting comparison between old and new boards in this video of Marine Hunter near Marseille.

She's sailing three boards all borrowed. An old Starboard acid, a newer Tabou Da curve and a recent Quattro Pyramid. It's really noticeable how much better she sails with each step up to newer kit.

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times

Re: New boards versus old

Post by billyboy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:27 pm

Nah, nothing there that graemef wasn't doing with a dagger board slung over his shoulder in 1976. Nothing changes except the marketing BS :lol:

BillG
Has liked: 34 times

Post by BillG » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:32 pm

:lol:

TOTD
Been liked: 23 times

Post by TOTD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:53 pm

Descent music, good stuff. She was a lot better on the Quattro.
I do feel the older boards were better built.
I do feel I don’t want a go on the Acid .
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Pad IoW
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Pad IoW » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:59 am

Looked most fluid on the Tabou to me.

I tried an early acid back in the day. They were beautiful looking boards, so I was so disappointed that the design felt so dated compared to my own board (critical section) slow & unturny! put me off Starboards forever unfortunately.

Later I had an early Tabou wave (1999?) Nice board!

BTB
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by BTB » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 pm

Older boards of the thin and pointy variety died out about 10 years ago or more now. There is a very definite step up once boards became universally sub 250cm and then just varried with volume and width and typically having lots more of both than earlier generations. They just have so much more range.

My RRD 100l FSW is 10 years old now, its 242 long, 63 wide. Brilliant timeless single fin board and still perfect for me as a heavier sailor using 5 - 6.5m rigs. Boards are shorter now but it was that shift in approach to focus on width and volume that realy transformed performance in my view.

The Taboo might be just fine. Not sure if its a twin / tri / quad as that would make a difference.

Go back 15 years and you would typically find shortboards including wave boards all 250+ length and all sub 59 wide, closer to 50.

I don't know how old the Acid is in that vid but if it is of that ilk then yes you would expect it to be much harder to sail, dropping of the plane easily and not getting going again when a modern wave board will plane at much lower speeds so you can carve turns when an older board would be struggling to retain speed. The imposed a different style, sailing faster instead of free flowing turns.

TOTD
Been liked: 23 times

Post by TOTD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:44 pm

Pad IoW wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:59 am

I tried an early acid back in the day. They were beautiful looking boards, so I was so disappointed that the design felt so dated compared to my own board (critical section) slow & unturny! put me off Starboards forever unfortunately.

Seems early for a Tabou, but then ? Paddy , I think you are the IOW mate , who lives next to my wife’s childhood house ?
I had a short UK visit and got to sail at Hunstanton, nice day out. October and it rained mixed with hail!
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Pad IoW
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Pad IoW » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:12 pm

TOTD wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:44 pm
Pad IoW wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:59 am

Seems early for a Tabou, but then ? Paddy , I think you are the IOW mate , who lives next to my wife’s childhood house ?
I had a short UK visit and got to sail at Hunstanton, nice day out. October and it rained mixed with hail!
Yes, was the first Tabou I had seen. Boards had tested one, & didn't much care for it, though reading between the lines had put the footstaps in the wrong place. It was about 2.45 long, & standard width for a board of the time. I also had a 2006 da carve, which was only a slight improvement.

Harts Hole now has a bigger garden as they own part of the field to the north.

I hear that Freshwater bay was good for a surf today, in the snow. Best of year sesh!

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:04 pm

billyboy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:27 pm
Nah, nothing there that graemef wasn't doing with a dagger board slung over his shoulder in 1976. Nothing changes except the marketing BS :lol:
I’ve always been lucky enough to sail relatively new boards, all newer than 2000, and while pros can still rip on older gear I think the big thing is ease of use. Sure, Robby Naish could get an old longboard to turn sharply but most of us couldn’t. Now anybody who can sail a freewave comfortably in the straps can get a nice sharp turn.

Boards these days are just so much more efficient.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

GraemeF
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by GraemeF » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:57 pm

All I saw was a moderately skilled person in waves in varying wind conditions and the fluidity varied with the windspeed. Sure boards have become easier but, they have also to my mind narrowed in range which is what happens as they get wider. Having lots of little fins instead of one big one lets you sail closer to shore, spin the board out for visual effect and reverse it for freestyle wave tricks, doesn't help beginners get air, or gain ground fast upwind or deal with bad rips. Some advantages, some disadvantages.

Also old v new, good riders always had access to better kit, back in the day most productn stuff was iffy to say the least, now all you have left is custom grage style production, I still maintain there's better to be had, one day someone will make these new shapes in blown clarke style foam like we have in kiteboards then you'll have something really nice to crow about.