Claw gloves, do they work?

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
rod
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 47 times

Claw gloves, do they work?

Post by rod » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:02 pm

It's chilly and I'm wondering if many people have had experience with claw style gloves and whether they really are better than 'normal' gloves.
https://www.ion-products.com/water/men/ ... gloves-32/

I have some very old Neil Pryde open palm mitts that I sometimes wear flapping over my hands, this helps a bit but full gloves that did not create forearm cramps would be worth investing in... if they work...

Charlie W
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Claw gloves, do they work?

Post by Charlie W » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Had them on for 6 hours in Sunday's 0c with windchill NW'ly. No forearm cramps, no blisters & mostly perfectly warm.
Last edited by Charlie W on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rod
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by rod » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 pm

My question was really aimed at you! As I know you have them, so thanks for replying :)

Have you used other types of gloves? And did you get cramps with other types of gloves? (or maybe you are just forearm cramp immune!)

Charlie W
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Charlie W » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:50 pm

Better grip with the Palmless ones Rod but would've got blisters being out that long, unless i'd put fingerless dinghy/bike gloves on underneath. But then too cold.

Nightmare forearm cramps with Surfing gloves.

northy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by northy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:38 pm

be keen to hear how you get on as i would have GUESSED that 3/2 was too thick to feel boom?

i have some cskins 2mm gloves i use for sup-ing some times...i think oneill do a 1.5mm
never tried them windsurfing but might this weekend!

BTB
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by BTB » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:27 pm

I had some going back a while and agree they are better than normal gloves.

However, i think any neopreme between your skin and the boom absorbs a bit of your grip strength. The pre shaping reduces the amount of neoprene you are pulling out of shape or bunching up and but you are still squeezing through neoprene. Palmmless removes that layer and therefore practically no absorbtion of grip strength but obvs with a massive drawback with letting the cold water in.

I have a pair of cheap tight fitting normal 3mm gloves and am planning on cutting the palms out to see how they go, plan on gradully cutting more out untill they work very well or are cut to shreds and then i'll give up.

PhilN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Post by PhilN » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:01 am

I've got some ION claw gloves. I get a bit of tightness in the forearms when flat water sailing with bigger sails and not over powered when the water is flat, but its better than no gloves when its too cold for comfort. For waves and/or stronger winds I still get forearm cramp.

I think its all down to the individual's muscle/sheath makeup.

Sailrepair
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:20 pm

I have the claw gloves, they do work but in truth I don't find them any warmer than palmless mits. As has been said, they are fine for general sailing but I would not want to wave sail in them.

These are warmer - https://www.neilpryde.com/collections/g ... r-mitt-5mm than the ion claw gloves but they are expensive and again best for general hooked in sailing and not high activity sailing.

I use palmless mits most of the time but once below 4c I use the pryde 3 finger mits.

northy

Post by northy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 pm

on Saturday I windsurfed in about 5 degrees (newgale)

I wore my 2mm gloves and it was ok...fine for just blasting...more tiring / tightening arms when proper dtl on a wave when you really need to grip and throw the boom a bit more. in the end I took them off and was totally fine without gloves...think the sun made a big difference

ps
I have a al360 slim boom...reckon this helps a lot with gloves

northy

Post by northy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 pm

ps German Surf Mag did a glove test last year...you can download the edition via their app and use Google translate