Learning to waterstart

If you're new and think your question may be silly, ask it in here for kind and helpful responses.
Jasperthedog

Learning to waterstart

Post by Jasperthedog » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi, everybody.

Next months mission is to learn how to water start, I've watched a stack of youtube vids now just
Need to get in the waterto see if I can bring it together.

I have seen these "waterstart" floats on ebay and wondered if they help speed up the learning process at all, or are they just a gimmick
that could introduce bad habits.

Thanks in advance,
Rich.

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Learning to waterstart

Post by Arf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi Rich,
I wouldn't bother with the floats, best to learn as you mean to go on!
When I learned waterstarts, the trickiest thing was the rig recovery part - getting the rig out the water and into the right position after a fall.
Learning to fly the rig over your head in the waterstart position while waiting for the right moment did also massively help me get my head around rig control.
Good luck!

Smidge
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Smidge » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:11 pm

My top tip from painful experience is that when my wife and i taught ourselves, we didnt realise that to learn to waterstart you actually need a decent amount of wind! Basically if you or others are not able to get planing then you arent going to get your first water start either. Decent wind and smaller sails make waterstarting far easier. As a rule of thumb if your sail isnt big enough to get you planing comfortably then it wont get you waterstarted easily (at least as a beginner).

Smidge
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Smidge » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Also, my daughter (also learning) has developed this approach of only waterstarting if the sail falls into approx the right position - otherwise she uphauls. She is saving the more complex rig recovery swimming or rotation for when the water is warmer (damn cold in lakes at the moment).

Jamesblonde
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Jamesblonde » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:01 pm

Tips.
Rig similar to the sailors your size that are planing about.

The action of actually getting lift is to extend your front arm, pulling in your back arm and tucking your head inwards under the boom as you rise.

If you were to sit on the floor with your feet flat on the floor close to your bum and then ask someone to pull you up, to do this with the least resistance and help from the other person you would tuck in close and try to lead with your head to get over your feet. Excess power at first will help cover any lack of technique

TwoFish
Has liked: 23 times

Post by TwoFish » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:03 pm

Arf wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:48 pm
When I learned waterstarts, the trickiest thing was the rig recovery part - getting the rig out the water and into the right position after a fall.
Agreed Arf, but let me flip that round (pun intended): Rig recovery, especially repeated rig recovery, is a real energy sapper. Then when you've finally achieved it, it's a massive blow (pun 2) when you stuff the actual get-up-on-the-boardy-bit and have to go back to to the whole sinky rig, fly the sail, point the board thing all over again, x 5.

I cracked it via the 'waterstop'; when you depower or otherwise stuff it up and fall in backwards. Then do a sort of rewind thing, reverse the actions and pop back up. Once I'd got that down to muscle memory, there was much less burned energy, fury and swearing at God due repeated rig recovery misery.

[Edit] Which sounds much the same as Smidge reports Smidgetta's approach as being.

Jamesblonde

Post by Jamesblonde » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:05 pm

My wife has little interest in gybing and when she wants to turn around she will unhook, slow and then place the sail down wind, she then hops in quickly and then pulls the sail clear of the water. If it needs she will shove the tail of the board under the sail to lift the sail.

TwoFish
Has liked: 23 times

Post by TwoFish » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:11 pm

Jamesblonde wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:05 pm
My wife has little interest in gybing and when she wants to turn around she will unhook, slow and then place the sail down wind, she then hops in quickly and then pulls the sail clear of the water. If it needs she will shove the tail of the board under the sail to lift the sail.
Paging Nick Field ;-)

Jasperthedog

Post by Jasperthedog » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:09 am

Thanks Guys,

I think I,m just going to try it without and see what happens.
So going big board 170ltr, strong wind and smallest sail I can get away with, depending on conditions.
I do have smaller boards if that's better the downside being if I can't get back up I,m stranded, sailing at Rutland so
can always hitch a lift back.

Cheers
Richard.

Jamesblonde

Post by Jamesblonde » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:30 am

Try the big boa5d but smaller kit is actually easier to water start with, getting the basic feel of it though first with a big board is probably wise,