Board design by Ola H.

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
Ola H.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Board design by Ola H.

Post by Ola H. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 am

TOTD wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:57 pm
Ola, you mention your preference,
Is this what is being installed on the Simmers?
Or just your own boards
Or a variable on both
The data on the FLy, Quantum, Cortex and Helix are for the production boards. The two others mentioned are my own protos.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:16 am

Here’s a question for you ola: with your main team rider/tester Marc Pare gone from the team, will there be a big change in board design do you think? Ie the feedback from alessio will be different as he is a different shape, weight etc and has a different style from Marc, so the boards could turn out a lot different?
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

Dkarl

Post by Dkarl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:31 am

Interesting question.

TOTD
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Post by TOTD » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Probably not.
A lot different, unlikely.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Ola H.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Ola H. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:08 am

Ruaraidh_K257 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:16 am
Here’s a question for you ola: with your main team rider/tester Marc Pare gone from the team, will there be a big change in board design do you think? Ie the feedback from alessio will be different as he is a different shape, weight etc and has a different style from Marc, so the boards could turn out a lot different?
Mostly, Marc was involved in the Fly. He tested the Cortex and Quantum too, but the Cortex was my personal creation from the ground up (except for testing) and the Quantum came before Marc got involved with development. The Fly was a good collaboration, also involving testing by Ben and Kai, but it was for most part my design, resulting from work with Kai and dating back to Kais Peahi board. Marcs contribution was to have a more draw out nose and then off course to give good feedback. In some sense, I think the frist proto is still one of his favourite boards, but from there we still did a few changes based on Marcs feeback (fx the production 85 is narrower overall, the original 85 was more like a 90-92 in width but thinner, so more of a specialty board). In similar Manner we also made som collaborative work in some Fly versions with some tweaks and we had some new versions ready based on collaborative thinking ready, but at least one of them now ended up with me (new tail design).

Since the Fly is such a success we will unlikely go in a new direktion with this board for some time. It is more likely Allessio
will influence the other boards in the range. We have one completely new board almost finished, but as far as I know Allessio will have a chance to try it and perhaps some feedback will influence the final shape. Over time I certainly hope for more feedback though and then it is possible he will have influence over what direction we go in. One thing that theoretically could happen is that we produce some specialty board. As you knwo from this thread I have some stuff brewing. If, say, Allessio would like some board like that a lot, that could influence the decision to produce such a board or not.

James.blonde
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by James.blonde » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:11 pm

I kind of feel a bit sad for Simmer having supported Marc And Justyna and then to have them cherry picked when they start getting good results by teams with bigger budgets.

TOTD

Post by TOTD » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:14 pm

James.blonde wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:11 pm
I kind of feel a bit sad for Simmer having supported Marc And Justyna and then to have them cherry picked when they start getting good results by teams with bigger budgets.
The way of the world. Is a team going to invest in a looser?
Charles Leclerc , example .
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

James.blonde
Been liked: 14 times

Post by James.blonde » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Bad example, Ferrari had Charles Leclerc signed for 3 years before making it to Ferrari's F1 team. He had not had any wins or podiums before driving their cars. Where Marc and Justyna have.

Bouke/Witchcraft
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:46 pm

James.blonde wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:11 pm
That is what always happens. I sponsored Daniel Bruch, John Skye and Omar Sanchez when they were just entering the world cup and after one decent result got a better offer and off they were, contract or not, leaving me with boards that were hardly used but then only worth 50%. In a way understandable from the POV of an ambitious 20 year old rider but still you feel being used. That is why I do not sponsor young riders who have the ambition to become a pro ever since.
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.

TOTD

Post by TOTD » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:34 am

James.blonde wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm
Bad example, Ferrari had Charles Leclerc signed for 3 years before making it to Ferrari's F1 team. He had not had any wins or podiums before driving their cars. Where Marc and Justyna have.
Charles was a member of the Ferrari Drivers Academy , 2016, driving F3, 2017 driving F2. 2018 Saw his drive with Sauber, not the Ferrari or Academy. 2019 saw a Ferrari contract. What form of math are you using, 3 years ?
He performed so well in the Sauber, that Ferrari fired Kimi, to give him the contract.
The fact he never won in the Sauber , is mute , his ability outshown the car by miles.
So he was signed with Ferrari on his ability.
The point is the same, as Simmer Naish .
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey