4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Foiling related talk in here
BTB
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: 4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Post by BTB »

He plans to get to a level where he can dock start and pump to the waves and then ride them along the coast without the support jet-ski.
What does he do if he falls off?
ronnie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by ronnie »

BTB wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:10 pm
He plans to get to a level where he can dock start and pump to the waves and then ride them along the coast without the support jet-ski.
What does he do if he falls off?
He has to paddle to the shore if he didn't have the jet-ski backing him up. Those waves are too powerless to get foiling again.

In Hawaii, some prone foil downwinders (such as Kai Lenny), paddle out at maybe Maliko Gulch and catch a swell then ride it 10 miles along the coast to (maybe) Kahului Harbour or Kanaha.
There is even a regular shuttle to take downwinders back to Maliko Gulch.
http://www.malikoshuttle.com/routes/

More paddle power for prone foiling via using hand paddles.
55 year old Dave Kalama. His son Austin has used hand paddles to prone surf Jaws.

What is possible if everything is right.
Last edited by ronnie on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
martinwindsurf
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by martinwindsurf »

Peachy.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Nicest day of the year! Friday was 6/5/4 Winter suit weather and today would have suited the shorty or 4/3 short sleeve if I had fallen in. I was wearing a 5/3.
I paddled and also tried the Synergy large hand paddles on my 204 by 27.5" (70cm) 115 Free Foil. They work fine for prone paddling (Dave looks like he is using the exact same paddles in the second video), but I found my arms were too short for them to work kneeling. I'm 171cm tall. My knees are not designed for kneeling - except on a full deck pad.
knobbly.jpg
knobbly.jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 559 times
I would need to shave some width off the inner sides of the paddles, and would have benefitted if not wearing a wetsuit - like Dave Kalama. I have updated the photo showing where I trimmed the inside edge of the RH paddle, before trimming the LH. I suspect that Dave has a longer, narrower (on the inside) set of paddles for downwinder hand paddling while kneeling - and probably a narrower board?
Synergy large s.jpg
Prone boards are generally quite narrow.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

GoFoil downwind crew. Alex Aguera 59 on a red wing and Dave Kalama (blue shirt) 55 with a paddle.

ronnie

Post by ronnie »

The 4.5m Duotone Slick used for swell surf foiling.