What tools and bits should I take?

If you're new and think your question may be silly, ask it in here for kind and helpful responses.
MauiBreeze
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 9 times

What tools and bits should I take?

Post by MauiBreeze »

Had my first windsurfing trip out last weekend and forgot to take screwdriver to secure fin and knife to replace/cut outhaul line.

For MTB races I have a toolbox with allen keys, puncture repair kit, inner tube etc

Thinking about creating a windsurfing toolbox, what do you suggest I put in it? What do you carry?
WetSoot
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: What tools and bits should I take?

Post by WetSoot »

medium flat head for fins
cross head screwdriver for straps and expansion plugs/bungs
a spike of some sort for loosening stuck knots etc
bit of clear sail repair tape for ‘accidents’
sharp knife for cutting ropes in extremis

Other than that, not much you can do at the beach in my experience…. you can carry a bit of duct tape for covering dings, but that’s getting risky…
BTB
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by BTB »

I just have a pair of screwdrivers. I bought myself some nice ones a few years back but they have still rusted up.

I keep most or the repair stuff in the garage. WD40, sail tape, etc all gets used when back from the beach.
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by ronnie »

Spare length of rope for the downhaul/outhaul/uphaul, and a cigarette lighter to melt the end of a cut rope.

Maybe a rope extension for the zip on your wetsuit? If it is a vertical back zip, it helps to hold the wetsuit below bottom end and pull the zip runner up.

Emery paper in case you hit the fin on something, and you can get ding repair epoxy paste that comes in a tube with the two parts separated like in a bar of rock. You cut a slice off and knead it until both are mixed and you can do a repair that might seal a small damage to a board or fill some damage on a fin.
https://www.surfdome.com/Ding-All-Epoxy ... gL03fD_BwE

Black Witch is a very sticky sealant for repairing wetsuits. If a seam of the suit is coming apart and is dry and clean, you can stick it back together again.

Small plastic bag, in case you have to get your legs into a wet wetsuit.
Manu
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Manu »

Screwdrivers
Sunscreen
Repair tape
Rope lines
Harness lines
Mast foot spare
Inner tube

Misc:
Hat
Mitts
Hoodie
Sunglasses
Super glue
Duct tape
Harness
Booties
K-215
Been liked: 14 times

Post by K-215 »

The "pistol" shaped fag lighters are particulalrly good when it's blowing :o
Formuline is the worst to try and get a point on...
I finished up threading it through a Bic biro tube, setting fire to it and then pulling it back through the narrow end :lol:
Always but always change the ropes before the racing starts :lol:
K-215
Been liked: 14 times

Post by K-215 »

A nice Swiss man called Felix Guggenheim approached me in Boracay many moons ago and said, "George, I've broken a batten, can you help ?"
He had broken the tip off next to the tensioning strap.
I whipped out my jumbo sized Swiss Army Knife and sawed off a small piece of bamboo, trimmed it, filed it and inserted into the tube.
Felix was then able to tension the batten.
He said, "I am Swiss and never in my life have I seen anybody use a Swiss Army Knife" :lol:

So, one of those and/or a Leatherman is also worth having in the tool box.
TwoFish
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by TwoFish »

The normal screwdriver for footstraps is a Phillips PH3 (i.e. not Pozidrive). The Wera Kraftform Stainless PH3 is the king of windsurfers' screwdrivers as, unlike most other screwdrivers, they don't turn into soggy, crumbly lumps of rust.

Other things worth considering.

Scissors.
Either mylar sail repair tape or (cheaper) greenhouse repair tape.
Ding stick.
WD40.
Spare UJ / tendons.
Sailmakers' thread, needles and palm.
Spare fin bolts and washers. Amazing how easy it is to lose them in the grass and even if you don't lose yours, chances are you will eventually make some other poor unfortunate very grateful when you come to their rescue.
Beeswax for lubricating wetsuit zips (comes in handy sized blocks for exactly that purpose)
Contact adhesive (for re-sticking foot pads)
Rig puller (downhaul) tool

I've not included epoxy repair stuff here (ding stick aside) as that's another subject and of course only relevant to epoxy boards.
TwoFish
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by TwoFish »

On the subject of repair tape, if you know any aircraft mechanics, the 'speed tape' they use is amazing stuff. They use it to patch up jets, which left me confident it would do a good temporary job for board dings.