How was your summer 2019 for windsurfing?

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
martinwindsurf
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: How was your summer 2019 for windsurfing?

Post by martinwindsurf » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:54 pm

Up & down: Superb weeks in Maui and Cornwall in Spring but then new job and working abroad meant I missed our summer hol and some windy weekends here. Couple of ok Hayling sessions but SUP at Hayling and on Thames were new fun for me. Bring on a windy Autumn.

DaveMac
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by DaveMac » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Well my honest answer is alright. Pretty good. The usual life balance was achieved and I got a fair bit of sailing in. Just want more of it and a body that can keep handling it. Can't say I have had too many top quality sessions and I haven't progressed much, but I'm not grumbling, a good session on either board is a session well worth it, I'm pretty content with my ceiling. And "summer" may be over but plenty of sailing to come the rest of the year I hope. Don't remember using my 8.5m Heckler so that is a good thing.....

Charlie W
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Charlie W » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am

31st July to 19th August was on off great on the South Coast with constant low pressures. Not much in rest of July, few good ones in June. 14 on the session count.

Bouke/Witchcraft
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:14 pm

We had a pretty good summer over here. I didn´t count the days but the french that rented from me for 4 weeks in july sailed 23 out of 28 days and august was about as good. Quite a lot of good days, some epic, some not that good but still OK actually if you did not compare it to the better days or you had to catch up with work.
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.

Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Screamer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Bouke, excellents pics
Water on pic #4 in front of the wave looks a few inches deep, or is it an illusion?

rod
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by rod » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Cotillo beach, shorebreak hell. Not an illusion but Will Ward is a nutter (and brilliant sailor).

Fuerte in the summer looks great. Must get back there soon.

Bouke/Witchcraft
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:26 am

Yes, that is Cotillo. In summer the shore break is the worst but usually it is very small so it is more for freeriding and for wave sailing we go to Punta Blanca. This was just an occasional swell that came in from the NW after a rare summer storm in the north Atlantic, the NE wind swell that hits the other spots (like the pics of port tack wave riding at Glass beach), hardly arrives at Cotillo. The sand bar shifts around from winter to summer. In spring, after the winter swells, the sand bar is usually pretty good and the wave breaks further out and runs longer. There is a rock further upwind on the beach which can be 3m high with all the sand out on the sandbar and in summer it is gone, covered by sand.
Will likes it gnarly and hollow, he had over 20 wipe outs that day and his wetsuit was full of sand. Here some more images of Facebook. There are more there.
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.