Monday 19th July

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
PK1111
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 180 times

Monday 19th July

Post by PK1111 »

Managed to slice off for the day and decided to head to the beach to avoid the 30 degrees forecast for London.

Got to Hayling for 12 just as low tide loomed and managed to park near inn on the beach.
Super sunny, insanely warm, especially the water which was a beautiful blue, green and very clear, sparkling back up off the golden sand below.
Wind just enough, about 5 knots southerly, so rigged 5.2 on the SUP and headed out on east port tack to the sand bar.

Lovely hourly messing about with tacks and gybes, trying switch stance sailing. Duck gybes and even helicopter racks.
Then got a bit cocky as wind picked upto 10 knots and swung SW, so started tacking up around the winner bank which took forever but was very rewarding, sailing in as little as a foot of water. The conditions were stunning and I had the place all to myself.

Eventually rounded the bank but the wind dropped back down to 5 knots so wafted down to the harbour entrance, passing a seal hunting for fish, and had to lug my gear over the connecting sand bar spit.

Feeling a bit sunburnt despite copious cream on, but couldn’t resist another practice session.
Got back to inn on the beach after 3 hours and felt great.

Lots of paddle boarders, a few windy rigs, the odd noisy jet ski, pretty classic conditions. Just a shame so few sailors out, esp beginners / kids as such a great location.

Easy cruise home and checked the Skunkatron 6000 which was struggling to correlate the conflicting data of 1 for Adrenalin fuelled fun and 6 for Stoke.
I’m chalking today up as a very memorable 6.