Doldrums

A place to discuss the weather and outlook on windsurfing conditions.
rod
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 226 times

Re: Doldrums

Post by rod »

For those foil-less (and still living the 20c) I've no doubt the wind has been dire. Now I foil (much more than windsurf) that is all irrelevant. I go sailing (well winging actually) more or less whenever I want. For example tomorrow looks pretty good. Tuesday was great, and so on.

Think it's not as good as S coast mush bothering on 5m, think again: It's more fun and more challenging.

Now, when is the next stream train due? There hasn't been one for ages...
martinwindsurf
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by martinwindsurf »

PhilN, out of interest what do you do that allows you so much time on water?! :o
PhilN
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by PhilN »

martinwindsurf wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:31 pm PhilN, out of interest what do you do that allows you so much time on water?! :o
Nothing ;)
rod
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by rod »

Also I didn't mean I can sail / foil whenever I want. I meant that when I have time to go I'm not waiting for a forecast (or getting skunked). Which is what this thread is about.
That is the advantage of combining windsurfing with foiling.
northy
Been liked: 23 times

Post by northy »

I have to agree with Rod - i have been wing foiling twice a week (i could do more) and windsurfing 1 per mth...maybe.

It has been a total game changer in terms of ToW for me
(90kg and live in SW Wales where we get a lot of light 10-15kt days and the best wave riding days seem fickle)

And interestingly Im doing a lot of dawnies to fit in with work, family and tides...I have yet to be skunked foiling.

Last week was a great insight for me:
- Day 1 - i was on 6m wing whilst a guy (recreational sailing) was on 7.8m sail and 120 slalom...then he dropped to 6.5m as wind built..still fully lit, and one guy (id guess 65kg) was on 5.3m sail...and i was ok still on 6m Wing (pretty loaded but ok)...wind went from 10 kts to 18 kts id guess
- Next Day / Day 2 - same spot but was very light (10-12kts?) - same guy on his 7.8m again and planing 20% max, i was on the same 6m wing again and planing 99%

i fully appreciate that winging is new and exciting and some of the time i could be blasting on a 7.5m (but not always...day 2 above i would have been not planning on my 7.5m)...or i could spend time learning windsurfing freestyle etc...but i am really enjoying winging...obsessed i think, as im still firmly in the challenging / learning stages.

Also a new gang doing it which is interesting - SUP, Surfers, Kitesurfers, some kite foilers...and a few windsurfers!
BTB
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by BTB »

Some wind around next couple of evenings - might go for an after work session. Tides are not playing ball though - its a long slog out to the water.
tim319
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by tim319 »

I reckon 2/3 to 3/4 of my sessions are on the foil. It at least doubles your number of sessions, and makes all those rubbish pre-foiling windsurf days 15-20kt days fun.

The wing is going to be great fun with a bit of swell, but here that requires 15kts+ here in summer. I reckon in lighter than that on flat days maybe the windfoil will be more fun once I've learned the winging transitions, but I'll see when I get there.

Either way, I think people who are worried about a lack of sessions are crazy not to give foiling a go.
billyboy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by billyboy »

Injury and November temps right to the end of May have put me off even when it has been windy. Counting just 2 sessions and 1 skunking in 2021 so far. Haven't even got out on the foil (back not up to carrying it at the mo!).

I reckon you get at least 3 days per week with at least enough wind to windfoil with a 5.5m through summer. e.g. this week there is enough every WORK day afternoon, then a nice 2 day break at the weekend. Same as it ever was :lol:
Charlie W
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Charlie W »

Got 9 sessions in last June planing at least on no bigger than 5.3/95lt, not yet foiling :oops:

2 so far this year should be doubled in next two days...
Charlie W
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Charlie W »

Getting desperate but good swell out West next couple days (maybe sailable Thursday)...