Waist harness with big board and sail

The place to discuss technique.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: Waist harness with big board and sail

Post by Jeroensurf »

I guess that is a very valid point.
The only point is that your technique won,t get any better if you always do the same things the same way.

The funny thing with the wingding I started in oct. with, that you get more awareness in how you learn something new.
2 friends of me are early adapters and 1 is really good, the other has the same TOW as i do but makes for 1.5year his jibes the same way becvause he don,t wanna crash and is surprised it won,t make him any better as he is making the same mistake over and over again insted of trying something else. He has a succession rate of les than 20%. No bragging (maybe a bit ;) ) but I started in oct and try to learn each time from what went wrong and try something different.
Result: after LOTS of swimming this winter I fly through almost all of my jibes and falling in become rare, and I can literally fly circles around him. How much did i swim: I worn out a 1y old wetsuit just by the ellbows!! from climbing back on the board each time. wearing out a suit there is as long ago as my first years of windsurfing, but by doing that and trying to learn from what went wrong I proggresed a lot.
You don,t het a good technique by itself, it need a lot of work and effort.
maker
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by maker »

Pro slalom wear waist harnesses, just wondered how they do it. They don't seem to sit as much as used to seat harness, but still sit somewhat. I wondered if they changed set up moving from seat to waist, and if I could copy and save myself buying a replacement seat.
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

Slightly higher boom and 2inch longer loops as you are used to.
BTB
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by BTB »

maker wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:55 am Pro slalom wear waist harnesses, just wondered how they do it. They don't seem to sit as much as used to seat harness, but still sit somewhat. I wondered if they changed set up moving from seat to waist, and if I could copy and save myself buying a replacement seat.
There is a theory by a long term associate of the forum that Pros all have to wear a waist as the brands are pushing them - cheaper to manufacture and you can pack more of them in a box was the rationale behind it. And not all pros wear them all of the time:

ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by ronnie »

maker wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:55 am Pro slalom wear waist harnesses, just wondered how they do it. They don't seem to sit as much as used to seat harness, but still sit somewhat. I wondered if they changed set up moving from seat to waist, and if I could copy and save myself buying a replacement seat.
Maciek Rutkowski on why most of the pro slalom racers switched to seat harnesses. Mostly for control in difficult conditions.
https://easy-surfshop.com/do/blog/post/ ... ifferences
PhilN
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by PhilN »

BTB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 am
There is a theory by a long term associate of the forum that Pros all have to wear a waist as the brands are pushing them - cheaper to manufacture and you can pack more of them in a box was the rationale behind it. And not all pros wear them all of the time:
I dont think brands would spend £££££ on developing new kit then hamper their riders by making them use harnesses which weren't up to the job. I think the benefits of waist harness for slalom are there, as Ronnie linked to. But I dont think they are so good for sailing for a couple of hours non stop. When I bought a waist harness I used when using an 8.5m sail, once. That was enough. So no tuning tips for Maker.

So I stick to seat harness for freeriding. The last time I bought a new seat harness it was a faff as the shops didnt carry seat harnesses. I ended up buying another identical one soon after as a spare. That was 2017 and haven't used the spare yet, the 1st harness is still good (the previous lasted 2 years, ION Fuel as my current). The Fuel still looks the same as the 1st I bought around 2015. With foiling, I can see that waist harnesses are fine, might even be better than seat. So if everyone drops big sails for foiling there will be even fewer seat harnesses available. I might be a 2nd spare now!

From a shop's point of view, most waist harnesses are more expensive so I guess more money to be made, particularly on the £300 ones.

https://www.h2o-sports.co.uk/windsurf-harnesses
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

I think an speed canal isnt hardly represented for any type of sailing.
grantmac
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by grantmac »

I quite like a high hook (Dakine XT) for race board, but that is a weird combination of a very high boom and narrow board. I use very long adjustable lines on that setup too.

Everything else is better with a waist harness so long as technique is good.