New 2022 gear thread

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
BTB
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 60 times

New 2022 gear thread

Post by BTB »

Photo shoots have been happening for 2022 gear. With global supply chains still in a bit of a mess it may be a wile before we see some of this stuff at the local beach but still, I like seeing pictures of what is coming down the tracks:

North Sails come back looking a little closer.

Wilberforce 5
Been liked: 7 times

Re: New 2022 gear thread

Post by Wilberforce 5 »

Superb idea for a thread BTB. Come on all you industry hounds, let's see some lush new kit.
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by ronnie »

Wilberforce 5 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:52 pm Superb idea for a thread BTB. Come on all you industry hounds, let's see some lush new kit.
We're still waiting for most of the 2021 gear to appear. :)
Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 »

BTB wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:47 pm Photo shoots have been happening for 2022 gear. With global supply chains still in a bit of a mess it may be a wile before we see some of this stuff at the local beach but still, I like seeing pictures of what is coming down the tracks:

North Sails come back looking a little closer.

Those Duotones are just prototypes though. All the pics of the production colours get taken down, they run a very tight ship in that respect
18, Scottish wavesailor

Supported by Goya Windsurfing, MFC Hawaii and K4 Fins
motogon
Has liked: 3 times

Post by motogon »

BTB wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:47 pm North Sails come back looking a little closer.

I still don't understand why they split to Duotone and then start making North sails and wings again.
southsea
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by southsea »

Boards & More had the licence to use the North name for windsurf sails and rigs. The agreement came to end so B&M used their old snowboard brand name Duotone so they could build the brand without the cost and restrictions of a license. I think its turned out to be beneficial as Duotone can make more profit in a tough industry and North will bring more exposure and their 3di tech may filter down through the industry if it has the same impact as it did in sailing
Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 »

From what I can gather, things went a bit like this:

Boards & More paid North Sailing license fees to use the brand name.

One or other of the two decided it was time to call it quits and B&M stopped using the name.

Sudden North Sailing had no stake anymore in B&M’s kiting or windsurfing brands, so they bought the kiting and wetsuit/apparel brand Mystic, renamed the kiting side of things North and keeping the Mystic brand name for the wetsuit/apparel side of things.

They were interested in starting up a windsurfing brand but I’ve no idea why it took them so long; a friend of mine who knows a guy who knows a guy said they wanted to get it right rather than rushing it but who knows. Now they have the ex Gun Sails designer making sails for them with the new tech.

The really interesting thing is that in the first year of the Duotone name, B&M rushed out a “revolutionary” membrane sail. I wonder if that was a deliberate attempt to undercut North Sailing’s big USP in the windsurfing industry: the membrane/America’s cup inspired sail tech. It certainly would seem so; North have this fancy new tech but it’s no longer that impressive since Duotone, Severne and Gun have all done it already.
18, Scottish wavesailor

Supported by Goya Windsurfing, MFC Hawaii and K4 Fins
BTB
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by BTB »

Ruaraidh_K257 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:12 am From what I can gather, things went a bit like this:

Boards & More paid North Sailing license fees to use the brand name.

One or other of the two decided it was time to call it quits and B&M stopped using the name.

Sudden North Sailing had no stake anymore in B&M’s kiting or windsurfing brands, so they bought the kiting and wetsuit/apparel brand Mystic, renamed the kiting side of things North and keeping the Mystic brand name for the wetsuit/apparel side of things.

They were interested in starting up a windsurfing brand but I’ve no idea why it took them so long; a friend of mine who knows a guy who knows a guy said they wanted to get it right rather than rushing it but who knows. Now they have the ex Gun Sails designer making sails for them with the new tech.

The really interesting thing is that in the first year of the Duotone name, B&M rushed out a “revolutionary” membrane sail. I wonder if that was a deliberate attempt to undercut North Sailing’s big USP in the windsurfing industry: the membrane/America’s cup inspired sail tech. It certainly would seem so; North have this fancy new tech but it’s no longer that impressive since Duotone, Severne and Gun have all done it already.
That is also my understanding although the timing of it all is unclear to me. You can buy North kites and wings now (although they are not using the 'north sails' brand or logo)- a quick look on their web site and they have catalogues for 2020 and 2021, I think Duotone brand started 2018ish so there was a bit of a gap maybe. Also interestinng that B&M went with an old snowbaord brand. They have could have gone with Arrows or ART. I guess that would have been to confusing for many.

It will be interesting to see what North launch with. They have been gearing up for a long time. I would guess they will use traditional builds alongside the 3d stuff.
socialsailor
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by socialsailor »

I heard from a retailer that Goya won’t ship to retailers till October so I doubt we’ll see anything from them until around then.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

Pieter Bijl has been an long time head tester and designer at Pryde before he went to Gunsails.
The guy is very skilled and some of the proto,s I have seen in the flesh looked pretty good.

That 1st Pic of the Duotone simply looks like an Sweverne S1pro without colour.
....and those weren't revolutionary either. That was the Avanti and before that the first original North IQ3D, so not much to undercut imo.