Tips and tails

The place to discuss the art of longboard sailing and racing
GraemeF
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 18 times

Tips and tails

Post by GraemeF »

So, to repeat an earlier post, I'm about to get wings fitted to my Pan Am, going to try and get a cut off from an all carbon kite board and graft that to the stern, having tried an Equipe to a week or so back that had exactly that and assisted the owner to break the round sheppey record time. As and when I get pics I'll put them up here.

And thanks Arf for the section, I'll swan off now and see if I can't round up some long boarders to come her, talk proper windsurfing and try and educate you short board losers.. ;-)
SaltyK957
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Tips and tails

Post by SaltyK957 »

Consider me rounded up and ready to chat crap about longboards all day and to re-educate anyone sailing anything under 3.9 mtrs ;)
G....why alter a Pan Am (I take it the last gen PA that was an oversized fat equipe ?)...I would of thought that you won’t find many PA still going and you could prove your idea on a cheaper equipe before you start “butchering”.
.....good up cycling of a kiteboard tho...
joefoefrombuffalo
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by joefoefrombuffalo »

No idea what this post is about. Please add details..
SaltyK957

Post by SaltyK957 »

I am sure GRF will be along later to explain but basically a mod to the Pan Am re starboard batwing concept.
Attachments
I am expecting something like this !!
I am expecting something like this !!
F3DDD374-7E29-4674-A8BC-AB60706C6445.jpeg (453.13 KiB) Viewed 925 times
GraemeF

Post by GraemeF »

Yep that's the idea, at the moment it's got a couple of side fins from a kite board in it. Why? because it's knackered I've had it since 2000, it's been raced every tuesday night over those 18 years during the season and this year let me down, so I haven't been out much and I started losing interest when things constantly went wrong with it. I've also been trying to crack sailing a little trapezing dinghy, a Farr 3.7 which has been sapping my charisma so I want to overhaul it, fit it with half a carbon kite board and see if it'll re inspire me. I simply cannot bring myself to pay the ridiculous price of those Starboard Phantoms, it's daylight robbery even second hand they still fetch a grand and they fall apart, at least most of the guys in our club constantly have problems with them. So there you have it. I'll try and find a picture of the tail of it as it is now.
SaltyK957

Post by SaltyK957 »

Sounds interesting, I have seen it done on F2 lighting and a AHD so will look fwd to the updates....how are you going to fix it to (into) the rails ? And how far fwd do you extend them up the board ?
I like the look of the F3.7, great looking skiff but as with all singlehanded trap boats still a load of technique to learn before you get to the fine tuning.....I still love dinghy sailing, still miss racing and spent my happiest times sitting behind a sewing machine making sails and I will go back to boats...but only when I can’t stand up anymore.
Isn’t raceboard a starboard one design fleet now anyway 😉🤣
GraemeF

Post by GraemeF »

As far as I can tell they just trace the outline of the stern into the kiteboard, cut it out, then graft it to the board with epoxy and carbon/glass, I didn't really get a thorough look at the Equipe2 I had a go on, but it certainly makes a difference.

The Farr is the closest thing I've found in dinghydom to a Raceboard, without the sophistication of the mast track system and retracting centreboard, that's the thing about dinghys, lots of them are still in the dark ages, but that little boat is at least reasonably light has footstraps you can get into and works a bit like a Raceboard, in that if you foot it off it climbs upwind off the foils.

I put loads of holes in it and am having it redecked in carbon at the moment, so it's a winter of rebuilds of my race kit.