Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Foiling related talk in here
James.blonde
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Post by James.blonde »

Ive got a Gong Flint board, perfectly happy with performance, weight, construction, no problems. I had their basic Pulse wing, it saw me through the basics of learning which can be fairly hard on kit and it came through without dramas. I was going to get North Nova wing, when I phoned to purchase it I missed out by an hour as it had just sold. Waited a bit but then decided to buy another Gong wing, in stock, great performance , spare parts in stock and half the price of the North. I dare say if you ever manage to put them side by side there will be some differences but not enough to worry me at my level.
What is coming to light is that these wings from all brands blow out over time, some under a year of regular use. They have nowhere near the longevity of a sail, this gets pricey @£700 + per wing
rod
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by rod »

Yep blew out my wasp today. Big bang. Repair should be possible though.

Also got my new foils on Monday. Axis 910 pump n glide (1250 sq cm) and 112 Broad Spectrum Carve for super light days. (2100sq cm).

370 stab. 76 fuse

Both more HA than Moses.
I got them primarily because of the engineering (wing to fuse is the best I have seen).

Used the 910 on Tuesday. It is a machine. As fast as fully powered windsurfers on 7m and 6.m. Endless glide in lulls. Carved better than my slingshot.

Gybed it dry first attempt. So sooo fast and carvey. Like changing up a whole gear. Also went in averaging 12 knots (according to the reservoir anemometer).

It will be interesting to see how low wind speed I can get the 112 going in.

Half the weight of the slingshot.
grantmac
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by grantmac »

What are the wing spans on those?
James.blonde

Post by James.blonde »

Rod,
If you were using the 1250 in 12knots, what are you going to use the 2100 in? That is quite amazing. What size wing were you on?
rod

Post by rod »

It will be interesting to see what the low-end is of the broad spectrum carve.

I was on a 6 m wing. That's my only wing.

It is always hard to know exactly how windy it is but to give you an idea at that point there were windsurfers on fins with 7.8 sails not going
grantmac
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by grantmac »

Think they need a board with a flat rocker/no tail kick like most manufacturers are now putting out for HA foils?

Having just one wing and a couple of foils is an appealing quiver. In my case I think it would be a 4-4.5m wing then just windfoil in the really light stuff.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

just coming back from a sess:
The windsurfers used 4.7-4.0, I was on a 3m wing with the Balz foil. Not sure if i ever gonna windsurf without waves.
Riding bumps was soo much fun with the 3m
rod

Post by rod »

grantmac wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:42 pm Having just one wing and a couple of foils is an appealing quiver. In my case I think it would be a 4-4.5m wing then just windfoil in the really light stuff.
I can wing in as light wind as could on my windfoil. I've sold my windfoil board now too.

I suspect with new foil 112cm / 2100sq cm I will be able to get going in even lighter winds.
TwoFish
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by TwoFish »

James.blonde wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 pm What is coming to light is that these wings from all brands blow out over time, some under a year of regular use. They have nowhere near the longevity of a sail, this gets pricey @£700 + per wing
Interesting*

Has the industry found another route to making and selling us disposable kit (boo!) or is it just inevitable that inflatable wings will be fragile?

*The whole thread is also interesting of course.
James.blonde

Post by James.blonde »

I think its partly just down to the physics of the wing, sails have a mast and boom triangle to hold them, kites have 4 .ines at the corners to take the structural pressure. Wings have all the stress in the middle with the wings tips trying to fold back on themselves.
Parton the reason I was going for theNorthNova was that they had put alot more thought into the central strut to leading edge connection. They also orientated the fabric to load lines in the wing. I think there is room for development on this side of things. Thats if they want to of course.