Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Foiling related talk in here
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Post by Jeroensurf »

@ Abitwindy,
I tried 2 Phantoms and the first thing I noticed is that the construction feels a bit flimsy/less stiff compared to Sab, Gofoil, Armstrong, Neilpryde, Naish.
I wasnt impressed by how everything fits together. At leaat the alu set up from Pryde was imo a lot stiffer and better/more precise build.
That said, i,m 95/97kg so if you are a lot lighter this might be less of an issue (still the build quality was imo not much better as Gong).
grantmac
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by grantmac »

Newest generation Gong is on par with other aluminum foils for stiffness. Just FYI.
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by ronnie »

Ben giving his ideas on wingfoil board size.
Ben did start windfoiling on the marine lake at West Kirby and started wingfoiling in this offshore wind at Sagres, so he is maybe talking about learning in fairly optimal conditions. It's a lot easier start to to learn on flat water.

Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

grantmac wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:31 pm Newest generation Gong is on par with other aluminum foils for stiffness. Just FYI.
I do,t bother about the stiffness but the space between the mast and fuse. Because that is rather big the connection relies 100% on the bolts while at other brands the bolts are there just to secure it. That gives a whole different stress on the material.
Its a pity because i really like the foil profiles they make.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Jeroensurf wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:55 am
grantmac wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:31 pm Newest generation Gong is on par with other aluminum foils for stiffness. Just FYI.
I do,t bother about the stiffness but the space between the mast and fuse. Because that is rather big the connection relies 100% on the bolts while at other brands the bolts are there just to secure it. That gives a whole different stress on the material.
Its a pity because i really like the foil profiles they make.
The new ones use an insert similar to Axis.
The previous generation wasn't flat either. Maybe you had a first generation? They've changed a lot including their carbon setups.
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

I don,t know.
I tried it last nov, the owner said it was brandnew and the latest and greatest (and he owns an online shop selling it so I suppose he got the right info).
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

I,m in Viana right now, and its absolute perfect for me, decent swell 2m+ for SUP in the morning and I winged 6days in a row, and lucky for me, a few were with SW: my "good" side as a goofy, today it was the "normal "northern wind and for me that means riding with the wrong foot in the back.
a couple of the sessions have been with the Balz799 in the waves and i,m getting happier and happier from this foil.
It needs a tad more wind as the 950, but that is only a tiny bit more. what you get for that is a significant higher speed and heaps of grip.
I read that the Sab W1000 is even faster :shock: ...that almost sounds scary to me because with 5m well powered (6m windsurfers on the water) it is fast as hell. That means, fast enough to pass the atlantic swell that is running here. When I stay on the swell it is perfectly to surf with it.
It turns really tight with a lot of grip and its fast.
Because I really like the true low end of the 1100 i,m not sure if i,m gonna keep the 950 (have to try the Balz in the slowerr waves at home and see how it works there).
The 950 feels smoother in a straight line, but also a bit slippy/lower grip as the Balz and when i,m turn tight it can spin out. The Balz turns at least 2-3times tighter and comes out with grip.
I scared myself today by making pretty okay tighter bottom and topturns with the balz with confidence (remember, wrong foot in the back!) from where i,m sure I can't make such turns with the 950
abitwindy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by abitwindy »

Jeroensurf wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:24 pm @ Abitwindy,
I tried 2 Phantoms and the first thing I noticed is that the construction feels a bit flimsy/less stiff compared to Sab, Gofoil, Armstrong, Neilpryde, Naish.
I wasnt impressed by how everything fits together. At leaat the alu set up from Pryde was imo a lot stiffer and better/more precise build.
That said, i,m 95/97kg so if you are a lot lighter this might be less of an issue (still the build quality was imo not much better as Gong).
Thanks for you reply , i am a light weight at 67kgs , a F1 foil set up is around £500 less than the top brands so i did figure that there would be a difference in quality , im certainly not a fan of the gong stuff from seeing some of the boards take on water and a few locals have soon sold there gone foils on.
Did the F1 feel ok whilst foiling , may get away with the less stiff feel due to my weight?
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

With 30% less weight you won,t have a problem at all. The phantom frontwings feel smooth, the big gravity was a bit like my older go foil: reliable but slow.
Due my featherly light 97kilo,s :oops: you notice some stuff earlier that lighter people won,t.
I had the same issue with the 1st Fone wing, that has a too soft frame for me as well while a 70kg friend doesnt have that problem at all.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Jeroensurf wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:31 pm I don,t know.
I tried it last nov, the owner said it was brandnew and the latest and greatest (and he owns an online shop selling it so I suppose he got the right info).
Last November could have been two generations ago. They bring new stuff to market fast.
I can't speak to their hard boards or wings, but the foils a pretty good except for not having any true HA wings.