Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Post by ronnie »

TwoFish wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:02 pm
James.blonde wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 pm What is coming to light is that these wings from all brands blow out over time, some under a year of regular use. They have nowhere near the longevity of a sail, this gets pricey @£700 + per wing
Interesting*

Has the industry found another route to making and selling us disposable kit (boo!) or is it just inevitable that inflatable wings will be fragile?

*The whole thread is also interesting of course.
There may be more durability and more cost in the future.
Airush Freewing Pro. Extra stiff structure with AM-1 Laminate.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index ... ic=36848.0
grantmac
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by grantmac »

rod wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:56 am
grantmac wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:42 pm Having just one wing and a couple of foils is an appealing quiver. In my case I think it would be a 4-4.5m wing then just windfoil in the really light stuff.
I can wing in as light wind as could on my windfoil. I've sold my windfoil board now too.

I suspect with new foil 112cm / 2100sq cm I will be able to get going in even lighter winds.
I know the light wind stuff is possible on the wing, I will just always have a quiver of sails. The feeling is better to me.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

I think above all brands are still learning what works and what not.
Besides that the development is still going crazy fast so there isn't yet an golden standard like with sails where everybody knows more or less what works. The sport is now 2.5/3y old?
F-one
My neighbor here in Viana-Portugal has an F-one kit, and his foil (alu mast)+ 1000cm2 foil+ 85l board looks and felt solid today. I tried his 3m Strike when it was blowing tits off. Really stable but it felt also tall compared to my Starboard 3m wing (V1). It handled the gusts well, slightly better I think as the Starboard, but it surfed the bumps less imo.
I might need to use it longer as 1.5h, but i prevered my own gear. The neightbor prevered my board and foil as well, but found that the Starboard has too much handles :lol: (The Strike has only 2).
Smidge
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by Smidge »

Im thinking learning wingfoiling is on my to do list for next year. I have Slingshot i76, i99 (windsurf fuselage and smaller stab) plus a larger hypernut.

Question is, is it worth hanging onto the i99 massive front wing for winging (2371cm2) as Im not using it much for windfoiling anymore (lost a lot of weight…). And more broadly would that set up be reasonable for learning (before upgrading when i know what I am doing)..
James.blonde
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by James.blonde »

Definitely keep the 99 front wing, easy stable learning.
abitwindy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by abitwindy »

Jeroensurf wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:52 am With 30% less weight you won,t have a problem at all. The phantom frontwings feel smooth, the big gravity was a bit like my older go foil: reliable but slow.
Due my featherly light 97kilo,s :oops: you notice some stuff earlier that lighter people won,t.
I had the same issue with the 1st Fone wing, that has a too soft frame for me as well while a 70kg friend doesnt have that problem at all.
I was able to test a 1480 F1 phantom at he weekend and was so impressed with the early lift and extra glide. You can pump up on foil with a really low board speed compared to my S/S 76i , in fact i think i would of been struggling on my 84i as i was definitely foiling in the lowest winds i have before with the phantom 1480.
Really keen to test a few others now but if i go with the F1s i would get the 1280 and 1080 at my weight.
I found with the phantom you could almost force the board onto foil with pumping board and wing ,where as with my S/S i needed a little gust.
rod
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by rod »

Smidge wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:59 pm Question is, is it worth hanging onto the i99 massive front wing for winging (2371cm2) as Im not using it much for windfoiling anymore (lost a lot of weight…). And more broadly would that set up be reasonable for learning (before upgrading when i know what I am doing)..
Yes, have a friend doing exactly that, it's a fantastic set up for learning.
Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer »

First session today on Duotone Slick 5m after I finally managed to get a mini boom for it.
Very impressed with the feel of this wing, compared to the Echo it feels solid in the hands. Pumps well, good power despite not pulling your arms off even when very well powered up.
No sinking clew end which is nice but it’s a little harder to reach under and grab the boom than the Echo. Just something to get used to. Positive aspect over the Echo is that it’s much easier to launch and land through steep shingle shore break. The Echo would sink if you let it and then get pounded while you struggled with the board and foil but the Slick floats well and stays clear of the dump zone.
Goes upwind equally as well if not slightly better than the Echo although it backwinded a couple of times which I don’t get so much with the Echo. The Slick is also super quiet at all angles of attack which is nice.
Really much much better in neutral though, just holds a level attitude while I concentrated on the swell. Can’t do that with an Echo. So really happy with it. Still think the Echo is a really good beginner wing though especially for windsurfers.
Used it with a Starboard Hypernut 8’ and Armstrong HS1850 Foil. Need the new board to get here now as the ‘Nut is too big now.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

They flag pretty good too, so the surfability is a LOT better as the Echo.
tim319
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by tim319 »

shim.jpg
For those that have Moses/Ensis foils and want less front foot pressure (foil already at back of track), I've got my custom shim 3d printed online. Moses only make negative ones (increasing stabiliser lift), so I used a 3D design I found online.

It seems to fit very well. I reckon it'll change the balance point by about 2cm, so not a huge amount but hopefully just enough to make my 799/450s more comfortable. It will also reduce the drag very slightly (less induced drag).