Foiling related talk in here
Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: What kit are you flying on?

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 pm

rod wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:50 pm
the whole foil has a slightly upturned shape (like an upturned vee shape).
The upturned V should have natural stability, as the foil rolls the ‘wing’ moving down will produce more lift due to its angle of attack changing and also it is level which means more lift then the opposing wing which is on an angle.
(Most of what I know is aerodynamics not hydrodynamics to be honest but I reckon it’s similar in many respects)
The up or down turned wingtips I think will help with efficiency and also stop people stabbing themselves, don’t think it would add much to lateral stability.
The mast ‘strut’ would also add a lot of directional stability in my view as most of them are pretty chunky size wise when you compare them to a standard windsurf fin.

Like your home made stab though, is it a simple carbon layup on a mould?

rod
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by rod » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Farnorthsurfer wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 pm
The upturned V should have natural stability, as the foil rolls the ‘wing’ moving down will produce more lift due to its angle of attack changing and also it is level which means more lift then the opposing wing which is on an angle.
Maybe it is just the width that adds stability. However vee on the bottom of a windsurfer makes it less laterally stable (easier to initiate foot steering). And the more vee the more unstable (think Div 2 board as an extreme example) can't see why that would be different on a foil + and these days all front wings are downturned, unlike my Naish.

The diy stabiliser was made by laminating over a curved former and then sanding into shape. Making in a mold would be a better approach.

Farnorthsurfer

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Sure you are right about the V on a windsurfer but the foil is acting as a wing and is ‘flying’ in the same medium top and bottom.
The windsurfer is balancing on that V and if you steer one side or the other it transfers grip to the rail edge.

I would quite like to have a go at a homemade foil, one day maybe :)
Quite like the idea of a Tuttle box but a with a slotted fuselage that you can slide the mast ‘strut’ fore and aft to tune it for different boards and or when wind strength changes. Don’t think this needs to have too much effect on the drag if it’s done right.

rod

Post by rod » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:11 am

I wonder why then all foils have now evolved into an inverted vee / gull wing...

On Sunday I was foiling with someone who had swapped a zeeko foil for a Naish 2019, like mine. Both designs have about the same length fuselage (shorter than most now). Both had 65cm wide wings. Both also have a tailplane style stabiliser.

The difference is the zeeko front wing is a slightly inverted vee / gull wing.

He commented that the zeeko felt considerably more laterally stable than the Naish. (The Naish got up earlier and stayed up in less wind, but that is to be expected as it's much lower aspect).

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 am

I think the volume is fine, but I,m pretty sure there is no 120liter in the Hoover7.6.
Imo its more like an 105/110 and that is a serious borderline for my weight and skills. Floatwise it is less floaty as my Starboard Pro8.5x29 x112l with a gunny shapy. stability wise it isnt any better.
My custom rocket 8.2x30x3.6x120l is way more stable and floaty my Hypernut 7 .10 and my buddy Hypernut 7.8x115l as well.

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:00 am

rod wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:11 am
I wonder why then all foils have now evolved into an inverted vee / gull wing...

On Sunday I was foiling with someone who had swapped a zeeko foil for a Naish 2019, like mine. Both designs have about the same length fuselage (shorter than most now). Both had 65cm wide wings. Both also have a tailplane style stabiliser.

The difference is the zeeko front wing is a slightly inverted vee / gull wing.

He commented that the zeeko felt considerably more laterally stable than the Naish. (The Naish got up earlier and stayed up in less wind, but that is to be expected as it's much lower aspect).
with boards an Inverted V/monoconcave ads lift.
The gull wing I personally see as an double concave: not as xtreme as mono but with the benefits of it.
The "next gen surffoils like the new Go foil and Axxis work with a wider wing design and just downward tips and claim they are faster and get going as easy as the "old" style foils.
Given my conditions (slow waves in a short perod) i,m not sure i need faster.
Axis:

Go Foil:

But besides observations the foils are still like black magic to me: you sit on a "stick" and fly away :) I do it but don,t fully understand how come.

rod

Post by rod » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Jeroensurf wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:00 am
with boards an Inverted V/monoconcave ads lift.
The gull wing I personally see as an double concave: not as xtreme as mono but with the benefits of it.
Ah that makes sense I was using the terms interchangeably. Most foils now are to some degree an inverted vee.

Farnorthsurfer

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:25 pm

I used an Axis similar to the one in the photo to windfoil in New Zealand. It was easily the most stable foil I have used to date more so than the Slingshot Infinity 84.
Longer fuselage than my Surf SUP and quite a big front wing, it was a surf design I think.
Although to be fair it was on Lake Pupuke near Takapuna and not coastal so it was pretty flat.